Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2012, 10:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Reaching Bandhavgarh & Around

NH7 is terrible especially between Jabalpur & Katni where the 90 km run can take as long as 4-5 hours due to the craters that pass by as roads
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 10:36   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
NH7 is terrible especially between Jabalpur & Katni where the 90 km run can take as long as 4-5 hours due to the craters that pass by as roads
Thanks Kumar sir. I have already excluded NH7 out of consideration. I was wondering if you or anybody else have some idea about the roads NH12A and MDR 49 going through Damoh, Amanganj till Panna starting from Bhedaghat till Khajuraho. Is this road in decent shape and can be covered in 5-6 hours by car?
Old 13th January 2012, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Thanks Kumar sir. I have already excluded NH7 out of consideration. I was wondering if you or anybody else have some idea about the roads NH12A and MDR 49 going through Damoh, Amanganj till Panna starting from Bhedaghat till Khajuraho. Is this road in decent shape and can be covered in 5-6 hours by car?
I heard that road was in bad condition too.
Old 13th January 2012, 17:36   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I heard that road was in bad condition too.
Thanks Kumar sir. After reading Fauji sir's experience with NH86 I guess the only route remaining is the one you proposed as shown below.

Reaching Bandhavgarh & Around-bhedaghatkjrhrtmap4.jpg

Google says the trip would take 6 hours so taking into account breaks for lunch, etc. should be able to make it to Khajuraho by late afternoon with an early morning start from Bhedaghat.
Old 7th November 2013, 22:14   #20
BHPian

Need Route Advice: Kolkata-Varanasi-Panna-Bandhavgarh-Kanha-Pench-Sambalpur-Kolkata

This December I have planned to do this 3000 kms roundtrip in my brother-in-law's XUV. This will be a family trip with 2 ladies, 1 teenager and two kids - total 7 people. Hotels and safaris have been booked already. But I need some guidance and advice on the choice of route and road conditions from veterans especially from BHPians like hvkumar who have good experience on MP roads.

I am attaching the proposed route map as well as kml file.

Reaching Bandhavgarh & Around-new-picture.jpg
Drivingdirections.zip

The questions I have are -

1. On day 1, I am planning to go from Kolkata to Varanasi and stop for 1 night. I presume this will be about 10-11 hours journey with stops. A friend tells me that I may extend day 1 till Allahabad but I feel it may be a bit too long for me. What do the experienced members think? Also, are there places to stay along the Varanasi bypass or going near the railway station is the only option?

2. On day 2, I am planning to go from Varanasi to Panna. Google is showing a route from Varanasi through Mirzapur/NH-7-Rewa-Satna. But again, my friend says NH-7 is in bad shape (he took this road a year ago) and advising me to go through Allahabad-NH27-Rewa-Satna. Since Nh-7 is indeed the shorter route, I would like to know is this road really that bad? What is its current situation?

3. on day 3, I am planning to go from Panna to Bandhavgarh. Here, Google is showing a thin road through forest called MDR. Is this really a driveable road or just some village dirt road? Otherwise I would have to go via Satna as usual. Are there dhabas near Satna for food?

4. From Satna to Bandhavgarh (Tala), Google is showing two different routes. One route is through Ichahera-Maihar-Barhi. The other route is MDR11 going via Amarpatan-Damoy. This route is showing MDR11 going over Ban Sagar Lake but I don't see any bridge here on Google Earth. Is this a practical road to take?

5. From Bandhavgarh to Kanha, the route is through Umaria-Shahpura. Near Shahpura, there is Ghugfwa fossil park, which I would like to visit. Is it worth a visit? Are there dhabas near Shahpura for food? This route is about 235 kms. I am assuming it would take about 6-7 hours considering it is a jungle road?

6. Coming back would be from Pench via Nagpur (NH7 then NH6), stopping at Sambalpur for the night. What is the latest condition of this road?

Thanks in advance!
Old 8th November 2013, 11:06   #21
BHPian

Re: Need Route Advice: Kolkata-Varanasi-Panna-Bandhavgarh-Kanha-Pench-Sambalpur-Kolka

Did an almost similar route last December / this January. NH 7 was indeed in terrible shape at that time. We did Kolkata - Allahabad - Rewa - Maihar - Umariya - Bandhavgarh - Shahpura - Kundam - Jabalpur on the onward journey and Jabalpur - Kundam - Shahpura - Umariya - Maihar - Bandhavgarh- Panna - Nagod - Khajuraho - Varanasi (via Allahabad) - Kolkata on the return journey.

Kolkata to Allahabad might not be possible in one day during late December because of the dense fog which prevails at that time of the year. Varanasi to Panna will involve the route taken by us during our return journey. Again, retrace our route in reverse from Panna to Bandhavgarh.

Regarding your return journey from Pench via Nagpur and Sambalpur, perhaps some other member may throw light on this.
Babuda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 11:25   #22
BHPian

Re: Need Route Advice: Kolkata-Varanasi-Panna-Bandhavgarh-Kanha-Pench-Sambalpur-Kolka

Nagpur --> Raipur : The road is good

Raipur --> Sambalpur : Many diversions with bad roads. Road expansion work is still going on.
You should extra careful at village / town area.

Sambalpur ------> Kolkata : Tow routes are there.
The best road is :
Sambalpur ---> Cuttack (Manguli Squre) --> Balasore ---> Jaleshwar --> Khargpur --> Kolkata.

This route is longer and may take some extra time but all round good road with all facilities (petrol pump / hotels etc.) till Kolkata.

One suggestion : Please Drive 6 AM to 6 PM if you are not comfortable with night driving.
For new / unknown roads it is always advisable for Day driving.
KALINGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 11:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
Did an almost similar route last December / this January. NH 7 was indeed in terrible shape at that time. We did Kolkata - Allahabad - Rewa - Maihar - Umariya - Bandhavgarh - Shahpura - Kundam - Jabalpur on the onward journey and Jabalpur - Kundam - Shahpura - Umariya - Maihar - Bandhavgarh- Panna - Nagod - Khajuraho - Varanasi (via Allahabad) - Kolkata on the return journey.
Thanks for the info. From Maihar to Umariya, did you go through Katni or through Barhi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Nagpur --> Raipur : The road is good

Raipur --> Sambalpur : Many diversions with bad roads. Road expansion work is still going on.
You should extra careful at village / town area.

Sambalpur ------> Kolkata : Tow routes are there.
The best road is :
Sambalpur ---> Cuttack (Manguli Squre) --> Balasore ---> Jaleshwar --> Khargpur --> Kolkata.

This route is longer and may take some extra time but all round good road with all facilities (petrol pump / hotels etc.) till Kolkata.

One suggestion : Please Drive 6 AM to 6 PM if you are not comfortable with night driving.
For new / unknown roads it is always advisable for Day driving.
Many thanks! I will consider the Cuttack route.

Last edited by sbiswas : 8th November 2013 at 11:50.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Thanks for the info. From Maihar to Umariya, did you go through Katni or through Barhi?
Maihar - Barhi - Umariya. It's about 100 km and took us around 2 hours.
Babuda is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 12:14   #25

Dear sbiswas,

Please be informed that the Allahabad-Rewa road is very bad. You would be happier driving on NH-7 from Varanasi to Rewa and onwards to Panna via Satna. NH-7 is in no great shape either and is really patchy near Hanumana (MP - UP Border). In this case, your choice is between the devil (Allahabad - Rewa) and the deep sea (Varanasi - Rewa on NH-7).

From Panna to Tala (Bandhavgarh), you can take the Panna - Nagod - Maihar - Sarlanagar - Barhi - Tala/Umaria Road crossing - Tala. This road was built 4-5 years ago and is in very good condition. There are a few good dhabas near Nagod - Unchehara - Maihar. Simple food, nothing special/fancy.

From Bandhavgarh, you can take the Shahpura route to Kanha. This road is also in good condition. Shahpura has a couple of Dhabas where you can have a meal break.

For the return journey, as somebody has already pointed out, Raipur to Sambalpur is in pretty bad shape. Sambalpur onwards, take NH-6 upto Bangriposi and take a right turn towards Baripada. From Baripada, take the SH to Amarda Road where you will meet the GQ. On GQ, once you cross the Subarnarekha Bridge, take the first left turn towards Jaleshwar town. This road is better than GQ and will save you precious time in crossing the Odisha-WB border. The road out of Jaleshwar town is potholed but your XUV should manage that with elan.

The Bangriposi - Kharagpur road (NH-6) via Baharagora is extremely bad. Please avoid this stretch at all costs.

Drive safely!
Parryontheprowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 13:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parryontheprowl View Post
On GQ, once you cross the Subarnarekha Bridge, take the first left turn towards Jaleshwar town. This road is better than GQ and will save you precious time in crossing the Odisha-WB border. The road out of Jaleshwar town is potholed but your XUV should manage that with elan.
Is that the road that goes via Jaleshwar railway station?
Old 8th November 2013, 13:50   #27

Dear sbiswas,

On the map, you will see this road running parallel to the GQ and along the Subarnarekha river. The road goes through Jaleswar town and meets up with the GQ well inside WB. Yes, Jaleswar Railway Station is to the east of this road. Inside Jaleswar town, you will be able to see the GQ and the traffic jam to your right. There are several coonecting roads to the GQ but is is advisable to marry up with the GQ only when you see the GQ to be clear of traffic.

Drive safely!!!
Old 8th November 2013, 15:45   #28

Just received an update from my cousin who is traveling near Satna as we speak. The devil (Allahabad - Rewa road) is slightly better than the deep sea (NH-7; Varanasi - Rewa). The choice and privilege is entirely yours.

Drive safely!!!
Parryontheprowl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 20:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
This December I have planned to do this 3000 kms roundtrip in my brother-in-law's XUV. This will be a family trip with 2 ladies, 1 teenager and two kids - total 7 people. Hotels and safaris have been booked already. But I need some guidance and advice on the choice of route and road conditions from veterans especially from BHPians like hvkumar who have good experience on MP roads.

I am attaching the proposed route map as well as kml file.

Attachment 1162851
Attachment 1162852

The questions I have are -

1. On day 1, I am planning to go from Kolkata to Varanasi and stop for 1 night. I presume this will be about 10-11 hours journey with stops. A friend tells me that I may extend day 1 till Allahabad but I feel it may be a bit too long for me. What do the experienced members think? Also, are there places to stay along the Varanasi bypass or going near the railway station is the only option?

2. On day 2, I am planning to go from Varanasi to Panna. Google is showing a route from Varanasi through Mirzapur/NH-7-Rewa-Satna. But again, my friend says NH-7 is in bad shape (he took this road a year ago) and advising me to go through Allahabad-NH27-Rewa-Satna. Since Nh-7 is indeed the shorter route, I would like to know is this road really that bad? What is its current situation?

3. on day 3, I am planning to go from Panna to Bandhavgarh. Here, Google is showing a thin road through forest called MDR. Is this really a driveable road or just some village dirt road? Otherwise I would have to go via Satna as usual. Are there dhabas near Satna for food?

4. From Satna to Bandhavgarh (Tala), Google is showing two different routes. One route is through Ichahera-Maihar-Barhi. The other route is MDR11 going via Amarpatan-Damoy. This route is showing MDR11 going over Ban Sagar Lake but I don't see any bridge here on Google Earth. Is this a practical road to take?

5. From Bandhavgarh to Kanha, the route is through Umaria-Shahpura. Near Shahpura, there is Ghugfwa fossil park, which I would like to visit. Is it worth a visit? Are there dhabas near Shahpura for food? This route is about 235 kms. I am assuming it would take about 6-7 hours considering it is a jungle road?

6. Coming back would be from Pench via Nagpur (NH7 then NH6), stopping at Sambalpur for the night. What is the latest condition of this road?

Thanks in advance!
I also agree with the others on the bad roads in Varanasi/ Allahabad-Rewa, the need to take the Maihar-Barhi-Umariya-Shahpura-Mandla-Seoni route as an alternative to the bombed NH7 and also the terrible state of the NH6 in JH nearing Kharagpur (alternative Sambalpur-Cuttack-Kharagpur).

By Dec, some of the roads in OR will be repaired and definitely more motorable.

Yes, it is possible to drive from Cal to Varanasi & Allahabad on Day 1 with an early morning start.

After Pench, I would suggest you avoid the terrible NH7 towards Nagpur and take the Ramtek-Gondia route to get to NH6 beyond Bhandara.

Beware of heavy fog during winter across your route, especially in BR, UP, MP & CG.
Old 10th November 2013, 11:05   #30
BHPian

Many thanks to Kalinga, Babuda, Parryontheprowl and hvkumar for the helpful suggestions. This is what is going to be my final route I presume.

Reaching Bandhavgarh & Around-new-picture.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks