Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 05:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best road/time to watch wildlife, on the way to ooty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
If you are the first one in the queue when the road opens at 6 AM, there will be great possibility to sight animals.
Difficult to be the first in the queue. The only time I've reached the Gundlupet checkpost early (at around 5:45 AM) I found around 20-25 vehicles including a couple of Kerala RTC buses queued up already and occupying the entire width of the road. Must have been vehicles that came in during the night and found the gates locked.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:37   #17

Bracing up for an early morning drive out of Bangalore @ 2 AM. I hope it is worth the trouble, also it is easier to spot & photograph animals in the morning with daylight than in the evening with twilight or no light. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas and comments.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:42   #18

Btw, do you guys advise Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty or Theppakadu - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty?

for two reasons: for the wildlife spotting, and secondly, if my Xylo can pull through the Masinagudi route, with its steep climb. I have done that on my old Accent, it was easy. I am not too impressed with the pull and power of Xylo.

I had a bad slide and slip on a slopy Kinnakorai (interior Ooty village) road last year. It got so scary that I asked my family to get out of the car in the excuse that lighter car can pull through, though it was more the fear if it would pull through. I am wary of steep climbs in my Xylo now.

Anyone done this road in Xylo before?
Old 25th January 2012, 11:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Last April when we were returning from Ooty through Gudalur route we had gala time of spotting wildlife in that route. So many elephants, deers, gaurs, monkeys, peacock, boars etc. were common site.

Two photos of spotting of small elephants family and spotted deers on Gudalur road.

Best road/time to watch wildlife, on the way to ooty.-img_0088-large.jpg

Best road/time to watch wildlife, on the way to ooty.-img_0091-large.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrreddy View Post
if my Xylo can pull through the Masinagudi route, with its steep climb. I have done that on my old Accent, it was easy. I am not too impressed with the pull and power of Xylo.
I have done this 36 haripin bends in 800 with 5 Adults and a kid all together in a car. No problem of pulling even in those steep inclines.

Yes, driving diesel vehicle is little tricky on steep inclines. Most of the time you have to hover around > 2000 RPM for keeping engine always in pulling band. I am sure there will be numerous of Xylos done this route before.

So, next time you do always keep you engine revving in power band for effective pulling otherwise you will feel engine breathless.

OT: Back to back post is not allowed in this forum 30 mins from your last post in a thread. Please use EDIT button to edit your previous post.

Last edited by anujmishra : 25th January 2012 at 11:30.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:49   #20

Great. It is not about choice of RPM, gears. It is the sudden braking & traffic conditions in steep mountains that leave a Xylo gasping. You are found suddenly forced to stop and climb a steep curve, thats when Xylo struggles :(. Of course, low load, no AC helps.
Old 25th January 2012, 11:51   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Last April when we were returning from Ooty through Gudalur route we had gala time of spotting wildlife in that route. So many elephants, deers, gaurs, monkeys, peacock, boars etc. were common site.

Two photos of spotting of small elephants family and spotted deers on Gudalur road.

Attachment 876644

Attachment 876645

I have done this 36 haripin bends in 800 with 5 Adults and a kid all together in a car. No problem of pulling even in those steep inclines.

Yes, driving diesel vehicle is little tricky on steep inclines. Most of the time you have to hover around > 2000 RPM for keeping engine always in pulling band. I am sure there will be numerous of Xylos done this route before.

So, next time you do always keep you engine revving in power band for effective pulling otherwise you will feel engine breathless.

OT: Back to back post is not allowed in this forum 30 mins from your last post in a thread. Please use EDIT button to edit your previous post.
What time of the day was that?
Old 25th January 2012, 11:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Btw, do you guys advise Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty or Theppakadu - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty?
For both reasons, the best route is Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty.

Regarding doubts about the vehicle, its not a problem at all. Any new gen vehicle can pull through the kallatti ghats, so, its not gonna be an issue for the xylo as well.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What time of the day was that?
I spotted all these wild lives around 10 - 11 AM. These days spotting of Elephants are sure shot as their population is growing in Jungle.
Old 29th January 2012, 19:12   #24

Back from a long trip - Will post updates. But one piece of advice to all

I started around 2.15 AM from Whitefield, Bangalore, made it to Bandipur checkpost at 6 AM to catch the earliest opportunity when the forest gates are opened. But it was a long queue of vehicles rushing in from either side resulting in a traffic jam with lots of honking. The truckers and cabbies who had waited for forest gates to open were in a hurry and honked away all the wildlife :( We also had a 15 minute jam in the middle of Bandipur jungle. This time is best avoided !
Old 30th January 2012, 06:19   #25

On the way in,
=========
I drove
Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundlupet - Theppakadu - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty - Kothagiri.

I crossed Bandipur - Mudumalai between 6 and 7.30 AM. Near zero sightings, save for some tamed tuskers in jungle lodges, some spotted deer, peacock and a solitary wild boar.

On the way back I drove
Kothagiri - Mettupalayam - Bhavanisagar - Bannari - Dimbam - Gethesol - Germalam - Kollegal - Kanakapura - Bangalore.

The Hasanur - Kollegal Ghat road is something I wanted to try, it is supposedly shorter route from Dimbam to Kollegal (Avoids chamraj Nagar), but that 78 km stretch takes nearly 3 hours.

It is a completely deserted road, first 25 kms through dense forests, last 25 in bad shape. This road skirts around the entire length of B.R hills, on the eastern side, whereas Hasanur - Chamrajnagar - Kollegal route borders on the western side of the same mountain.

If you like to spot wild animals, locals suggest trying this road after 5 PM. But with almost no vehicles around and no human settlements in the first 25 kms (from Hasanur side), I would not try it myself.
Old 31st October 2012, 01:56   #26
BHPian

Hey @vrreddy, i am planning to take this leisure trip to BR Hills thru Kollegal - Hasanur Ghat road... via Germalam... wanted to know specifically what time of the day / night did you travel on this stretch?

Any idea whether vehicles are allowed to travel before 6am or after 6pm on this stretch... Thanks in advance.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:01   #27
BHPian

Have taken the Moyar route a couple of times at night and its awesome! But do not do this section unless you are used to handling wild situations.

Bandipur road is best in terms of density close to the road: the Hasanur-Dimbum road is straddling a large forest, but the real wildlife action there is inwards away from the roads. Still early mornings are best time for this sector. When doing this route, i typically leave Bangalore in the evening, and stay overnight in Kollegal (nice cheap hotel opp the Bus Stand), and then make a really early morning 5AM start for Dimbum.

there is an inner "road" via Talavadi: but you will need permits for that, and a 4WD equipped vehicle.

Last edited by COUGAR : 31st October 2012 at 10:04.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:06   #28
BHPian

Quote:
On the way back I drove
Kothagiri - Mettupalayam - Bhavanisagar - Bannari - Dimbam - Gethesol - Germalam - Kollegal - Kanakapura - Bangalore.
Which route did you take from Kothagiri to Dimbum? Are u sure you crossed Bhavanisagar enroute? There is a inner route that is supposed to be awesome and that comes out at Bhavanisagar but forest officials say that route is closed.
Old 31st October 2012, 10:21   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
there is an inner "road" via Talavadi: but you will need permits for that, and a 4WD equipped vehicle.
The road via Thalavadi to Dimbam which goes through inner regions of Sathyamangalam WLS is closed for public traffic.
As you said one needs a permit.

Quote:
Which route did you take from Kothagiri to Dimbum? Are u sure you crossed Bhavanisagar enroute?
There is a inner route that is supposed to be awesome and that comes out at Bhavanisagar but forest officials say that route is closed.
Bannari-Bhavanisagar-Sirumugai-Mettupalayam.

Many a times this road is taken by people who want to enter Kerala. In that case, instead of Mettupalayam, they go to Karamadai
and there drive towards Kerala (North Palakkad). I am referring to places like Attapadi, Mannarkad, Silent Valley etc.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:14   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Have taken the Moyar route a couple of times at night and its awesome! But do not do this section unless you are used to handling wild situations.

Bandipur road is best in terms of density close to the road: the Hasanur-Dimbum road is straddling a large forest, but the real wildlife action there is inwards away from the roads. Still early mornings are best time for this sector. When doing this route, i typically leave Bangalore in the evening, and stay overnight in Kollegal (nice cheap hotel opp the Bus Stand), and then make a really early morning 5AM start for Dimbum.

Hey Thanks @Cougar

But then what's MOYAR ROUTE? Sorry if i sound naive.

And also pls elaborate on "...unless you are to handling wild situations"... though i have had my share of wild experiences but then i am curious to know yours so that i can decide on my plans.

You may be right that Bandipur road is best in terms of density close to road but then i have heard some horrid accounts of this road being as busy as a city road and our so called civilized civilians honk their way merrilly to ensure that not even humans would dare step out on the road, leave aside our poor valued wildlife . But then i haven't had a chance to verify this in my short stay of around 5months in Bangalore. Btw, is it true?

Though i am yet to go through the thread on interesting drives in and around Bangalore... do let me know if you would suggest some specific route for a 1day exciting drive... thnx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks