Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 23:38   #1
BHPian

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh

Planning to do a trip of MP with a focus on the Tiger sanctuaries in MP in the month of May.

Son's school will break for summers and I want to do a MP tiger reserves trip.

Following is a high level itinerary, need help in -

1. Road conditions
2. Eateries enroute
3. Anything to avoid/circumvent?
4. Safety issues?
5. Fine tuning
6. Bookings and information about the reserves - especially Satpura as i dont have any good information on Satpura.
7. Any contacts for safaris would be welcome.

All suggestions welcome

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-mp-trip-itinerary.jpg

Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-mp-trip-route-map-total-distance.jpg

Last edited by sach.sri : 28th February 2012 at 23:39.
Old 29th February 2012, 09:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh

In the first place, the route selection could have been better, bearing in mind the bad road issues & need to to optimise your distance & drive timings.

In the second place, the timings indicated by you are absolutely impossible and in most sectors, the drives can take double the time indicated.

Let me reorganise the drive plan as follows:

Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Chhatarpur-Khajuraho:
Expect delays at Dholpur where the bypass is not ready and the narrow River Chambal bridge can see traffic jams. Part of the Gwalior bypass is a mess. The entire Gwalior-Jhansi sector is being widened, some bad roads and slow speeds. Nowgong-Ccchatarpur roads are very bad.

Khajuraho-Panna WLS
That is next door, better to combine.

Panna WLS-Satna-Maihar-Bandhavgarh WLS
Excellents. Do not get onto NH7. Drive from Panna to Maihar will take you on the fringe of the Panna WLS. Roads approaching Bandhavgarh are bad.

Bandhavgarh WLS-Umariya-Dindori-Kanha WLS
Excellent state roads.

Kanha WLS-Seoni-Pench WLS
NH7 between Seoni & Pench are in bad shape, but rest of the road is fine.

Pench WLS-Seoni-Chindwara-Pachmarhi/Pipariya-Satpura WLS
I do not know where the entry gate for Satpura WLS is, but the best road to take is direct from Chindwara to Pipariya.

Back to Delhi:
I will not suggest the route that you have plotted (via Sagar) since it takes you through some of the worst roads in Central India. Instead, I would suggest the following route:

Satpura WLS-Pipariya-Bhopal (I think the route via Bareli is better than the route via Hoshangabad since NH69 is in bad shape)-Bhopal-Biaora (NH3)-Guna-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi

Here is the Google Map rendition of the route I have suggested:
New Delhi, Delhi, India to New Delhi, Delhi, India - Google Maps
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 10:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

On the route, whatever hvk sir says its usually more right then the folks living in that place . I have a different advise.

In May MP would be scorching HOT, temperatures are known to touch high 40's in Jabalpur and surrounding areas. How old is your kid, it can easily lead to headaches and sunstroke instantly. We Jabalpur wallas usually do not venture out during the summer days when in town, the extreme heat is a killer.

Do you have a plan to deal with such extreme heat?
Old 29th February 2012, 10:39   #4
BHPian

I also concur with the route details and timings suggested by HVK sir and have few more inputs on your points 3, 4 and 5.

Most roads in MP whether good/bad are with minimal traffic(both truck and personal vehicles) hence it suggests you will have to be a bit wise on planning at most times. When I drove through M.P. last month from Allahabad to Nagpur via Rewa, Bandhavgarh and Jabalpur I hardly found any police security on my entire stretch, so I was mostly on my own.
Either I was maintaining speeds that are very difficult to catch for other running vehicles or, moving along with another fast moving taxi numbered vehicle to look like as if they were together.

Avoid stopping at deserted dhabas and plan your meals on major city/district intersections. You will not find numerous eatery options on the suggested route so keep some snacks handy for your family until you reach your planned destinations. Keep good amount of drinking water and keep refilling whenever possible. I would also suggest you carry an ice box with few cold drinks, juices and water for your family.

Also, keep an arrangement for additional Stepney or, tyre tube to assist you in case of two simultaneous punctures. Carrying a tubeless repair kit will surely be a smart move. Since your route is quite long so be cautious of tyre alignment getting out. If that happens because of jumping on bad potholes then get that corrected at the next appropriate city. Don’t drive too much with alignment out as you will damage your tyres big time.

Carry a comprehensive medical kit with you as the medicos/chemists available on route(anyways sparse) may not have your required stuff.

One last suggestion, whenever you see an upcoming speed breaker on the internal state highways don’t underestimate them as most of them are nasty if you are at speeds greater than 60 on these. Offer them respect.

Avoid night driving. All the best !!!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 29th February 2012 at 12:31.
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 10:55   #5
BHPian

>>>

My two pennies :

1. Please consider hvk's route planning (you'll never regret following it)
2. As mayankjha1806 says, the hot weather ( from say mid April to end June, where the monsoon starts in early July) is a bad time for young children; moreover MP will be very dry and dusty then. On the other hand, that is the best period as wildlife experts such as abheekg and others will tell you, for watching wildlife and not tigers alone, as water bodies dry up and all manner of wildlife have to come out of the shade to drink.
Its a tough call!

Regards, drive safe
Old 29th February 2012, 11:07   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
In the first place, the route selection could have been better, bearing in mind the bad road issues & need to to optimise your distance & drive timings.

In the second place, the timings indicated by you are absolutely impossible and in most sectors, the drives can take double the time indicated.

Let me reorganise the drive plan as follows:

Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Chhatarpur-Khajuraho:
Expect delays at Dholpur where the bypass is not ready and the narrow River Chambal bridge can see traffic jams. Part of the Gwalior bypass is a mess. The entire Gwalior-Jhansi sector is being widened, some bad roads and slow speeds. Nowgong-Ccchatarpur roads are very bad.

Khajuraho-Panna WLS
That is next door, better to combine.

Panna WLS-Satna-Maihar-Bandhavgarh WLS
Excellents. Do not get onto NH7. Drive from Panna to Maihar will take you on the fringe of the Panna WLS. Roads approaching Bandhavgarh are bad.

Bandhavgarh WLS-Umariya-Dindori-Kanha WLS
Excellent state roads.

Kanha WLS-Seoni-Pench WLS
NH7 between Seoni & Pench are in bad shape, but rest of the road is fine.

Pench WLS-Seoni-Chindwara-Pachmarhi/Pipariya-Satpura WLS
I do not know where the entry gate for Satpura WLS is, but the best road to take is direct from Chindwara to Pipariya.

Back to Delhi:
I will not suggest the route that you have plotted (via Sagar) since it takes you through some of the worst roads in Central India. Instead, I would suggest the following route:

Satpura WLS-Pipariya-Bhopal (I think the route via Bareli is better than the route via Hoshangabad since NH69 is in bad shape)-Bhopal-Biaora (NH3)-Guna-Shivpuri-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi

Here is the Google Map rendition of the route I have suggested:
New Delhi, Delhi, India to New Delhi, Delhi, India - Google Maps

Thanks HVK. This was the first plot that i came up with. But the drawback with this route is that Satpura to Gurgaon - i will need a stopover just because the distance too much - which i want to avoid because of shortage of time.

This is why i came up with the plot that i had sent.

Can we keep that plot and you can suggest me alternative routes so that i catch the best roads?

Also - on second thoughts, i will goto Khajuraho via Taj Expressway and NH2 - i believe that the road conditions for that are very good?

In your plot - you have shown Panna town - which might be some 50 odd kms from Khajuraho - but as per google maps - Panna WLS is about 130 odd kms from Khajuraho. This was another reason - why i am not clubbing Panna and Khajuraho together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
On the route, whatever hvk sir says its usually more right then the folks living in that place . I have a different advise.

In May MP would be scorching HOT, temperatures are known to touch high 40's in Jabalpur and surrounding areas. How old is your kid, it can easily lead to headaches and sunstroke instantly. We Jabalpur wallas usually do not venture out during the summer days when in town, the extreme heat is a killer.

Do you have a plan to deal with such extreme heat?
Yes, i know of the heat in MP, but the unfortunate fact is that my son's school break at that time and these is no other time when we can do this trip. So we will have to deal with the heat.
My plan to beat the heat is simple - only venture out in the heat when going for Safaris stay in AC rooms/car otherwise.
Drink lots of water and never step out on empty stomach.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Thanks HVK. This was the first plot that i came up with. But the drawback with this route is that Satpura to Gurgaon - i will need a stopover just because the distance too much - which i want to avoid because of shortage of time.

This is why i came up with the plot that i had sent.

Can we keep that plot and you can suggest me alternative routes so that i catch the best roads?
For a fast driver, if you leave early morning, reaching Delhi the same day (late night) from Satpura is not impossible. However, if you leave a little late, then you can stop over at Gwalior for the night.

Quote:
Also - on second thoughts, i will goto Khajuraho via Taj Expressway and NH2 - i believe that the road conditions for that are very good?
What Taj Expressway? That road is not complete. You have to go from Delhi to Agra only on NH2. From Agra, you have to take NH3 to Gwalior. Road conditions are as I had explained in the previous post.

Quote:
In your plot - you have shown Panna town - which might be some 50 odd kms from Khajuraho - but as per google maps - Panna WLS is about 130 odd kms from Khajuraho. This was another reason - why i am not clubbing Panna and Khajuraho together.
The gates to Panna WLS (near where the MPTDC resort is) is
Khajuraho-Bamita 10 kms-MPTDC Panna Jungle Camp 16 kms, totalling 26 kms.
Bemused how you got these distance estimates of 50 & 130 kms!
You have to cross Panna when you go from Khajuraho, makes no sense to go up and down the same road twice.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
I would recommend HVK's route.

If you feel Satpura - Delhi is a long drive, you can stop over at Orchha near Jhansi at Bundelkhand Riverside resort. Here is the route link

Satpura National Park to New Delhi, Delhi - Google Maps

It will also help explore Orchha as well. Take a look at my TLs for more details on

Orchha, Khajuraho - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...r-pradesh.html

Panna WLS is only 35 KMs and not 135 KMs from Khajuraho.

Kanha - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...h-kanha-5.html

Pench and Bandhavgarh - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nny-sands.html

It will be very very hot in all these places especailly between 11 AM and 4 PM. Pls avoid all out door activities during this time.
Old 29th February 2012, 11:42   #9
BHPian

I will guide you in your quest. Please feel free to call me after 10pm tonight. I might as well join you at a few of your planned destinations. What are your approximate dates ?

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 29th February 2012, 12:01   #10
BHPian

I agree with the alternate return route mentioned by HVK sir (via Bhopal). Although your chances of spotting the big cat are good, but just in case you don't then take him to Bhopal Van Vihar and eat some good good food!
Old 29th February 2012, 12:26   #11
BHPian

I think i will drop Satpura. It is putting a lot of strain on the planning - so i will do the other 4 reserves in a leisurely manner.

The plan will mostly be -

Gurgaon - Khajuraho - Panna - Pench - Kanha - Bandhavgarh - orcha/Jhansi - Gurgaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

The gates to Panna WLS (near where the MPTDC resort is) is
Khajuraho-Bamita 10 kms-MPTDC Panna Jungle Camp 16 kms, totalling 26 kms.
Bemused how you got these distance estimates of 50 & 130 kms!
You have to cross Panna when you go from Khajuraho, makes no sense to go up and down the same road twice.
Looks like google maps has incorrect information. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I will guide you in your quest. Please feel free to call me after 10pm tonight. I might as well join you at a few of your planned destinations. What are your approximate dates ?

Dr. A Ghosh
Thanks Doc. Let me finalise the planning and will get in touch. I will mostly be doing my bookings online - will check with you if i have queries.

Last edited by sach.sri : 29th February 2012 at 12:31.
Old 29th February 2012, 21:06   #12
BHPian

Re: Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh

HVK sir and Fauji sir ji are experts on the roads of MP. Its with their help primarily I am zipping around places in MP from one place to another . So just put all your faith and trust in their advice and judgement.

I want to comment only about the weather. Its already loo like conditions out here near Jabalpur/Bandhavgarh area. I am currently in Bhedaghat and as I was driving down from Bandhavgarh found the conditions already very dry and hot. I can only imagine what May will be like . Though its true that the best sightings of wildlife is during the peak of summer when the animals survive by lying around the watering holes. Rest of the advice around the road conditions, facilities along the route, trip preparation, etc. has already been covered by other experts.

On another note, saw the two kids of "Langdi" who are now living in Zone 3 resting in the shade by the broken stretch to Bandhavgarh (around 6-7 kms). This was when I was done with my Bandhavgarh trip and driving to Bhedaghat. So if you are driving that stretch you might get lucky.

Here is a sneak peek.
Trip to Hindustan ka dil - Madhya Pradesh-sneakpeak.jpg

More when I am back from the trip and the travelogue is up. Best of luck.
samarjitdhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 19:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
HVK sir and Fauji sir ji are experts on the roads of MP. Its with their help primarily I am zipping around places in MP from one place to another . So just put all your faith and trust in their advice and judgement.

On another note, saw the two kids of "Langdi" who are now living in Zone 3 resting in the shade by the broken stretch to Bandhavgarh (around 6-7 kms). This was when I was done with my Bandhavgarh trip and driving to Bhedaghat. So if you are driving that stretch you might get lucky.

Here is a sneak peek.
Attachment 895287

More when I am back from the trip and the travelogue is up. Best of luck.
Wow - very nice.

I am putting my faith in HVK and Fauji - this is why i am aligning my route to what HVK sir has suggested
Old 10th October 2012, 20:44   #14

Friends I am planning a trip to MP around 15th /16th Nov. I will be travelling with my family and the youngest member (my daughter) is 5 yeas.

I plan to start from Pune early mirning on 15th and hit indore the same evening. I will be driving my corolla.

Please let me know if any one has had recent experiences in MP and the best possible route.

Please also advise on
1. Road Conditions
2. Eateries enroute
3. Any other tip of importance
4. safety

I plan to visit Indore, Mandu, Ujjain and Bhopal.

This should ideally be a 7-8 day trip and still in the planning stage.
Old 24th December 2012, 01:41   #15

Did sach.sri make the trip? I will be leaving on a really long drive from Noida to Chennai on the 29th December. The route plan will go through Nagpur and from there to Hyderabad to Chenna. However am not sure about the best way to Nagpur - currently preferring: Noida - Agra (via YExpway)-Gwalior-Shivpuri-Bhopal. A night-halt at Bhopal and then onwards to Nagpur via Itarsi-Hoshangabad. However, I am told that the North South Corridor is mostly 4 laned now. So am tempted to do Noida-Agra(via E-way)-Gwalior-Jhansi-Lalitpur-Sagar-Jabalpur. Basically halt at Jabalpur for the night and then Jabalpur - Lakhnadon- Seoni-Nagpur.

I did the same route - till Nagpur - ie. in 2000, while going towards Raipur and the road from Lalitpur to Lakhnadon was not a road but a continuous moonscape experience. It was said that the Congress duly lost the next elections primarily on this count. Have things changed at all?

Will be glad for any inputs - specially from those who stay in the heart of India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks