Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:07   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Jalandar in a Polo. With German Shepherd

Hi,

Travelling from Mumbai to Jalandhar (Punjab) in my Polo with a Co-driver and my German Shephard for security ...

Plan route is Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Udaipur, Chittorgarh, Kishangard, Jaipur, Rewari, Rothak, Panipat and finally to Jalandhar. (Punjab)

I have been till Udapiur recently and am aware of the road conditions...its a awesome drive.

Wanted fellow bhpians to share there expereince about Rewari to Rohtak patch. Have done some research and seems that there was some work going on till 2009 or 10. Any one has updates about the current condition for this.

More suggestion are welcome.

For the dog, making a sort of double bed at the rear so that he too enjoys the drive

Finally, your travels tips are always welcome

Regards,
Amit

Last edited by amit_sound : 2nd March 2012 at 19:12.
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Jalandahr in Polo with German Shephard

I drove in the opposite direction in summer 2009 in my Fiesta 1.6 when i was relocating from Jalandhar to Pune.
A couple of points, firstly the roads will improve tremendously the moment you are out of Maharashtra and then its all great till Jalandhar as far as the roads go. Don't forget to take the Expressway between Baroda and Ahmedabad and not the regular NH8.
Second, why do you want to take the Rewari-Rohtak route to reach Panipat? Why not stick to the main route via Gurgaon and Delhi? I believe it wont make much difference in the total distance and Jaipur-Delhi-Jalandhar is a good drive.

How long do you plan to take for the journey? Enroute stops?
docsinghal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 22:34   #3
BHPian

We did a Bombay- Ajmer in 2010, good roads after Maharastra. A little jam crossing the Narmada, rest was smooth.

Do take National Expresway 1 - best road in India I have driven. Ahmedabad Vadodara Expressway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything beyond Ajmer, I am sure Highway Kumar will be here in a bit

Have a good trip.
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:00   #4
BHPian

docsingle and neofromcapone thanks for your inputs.

Ahmd - Vad express way is on my route plan route.

I was living in delhi for few years and had many road journeys from delhi to Jalandhar. The Delhi-Jal road is lovely..so i was thinking of joining that road from Rohtak at panipat.

docsingle Rewari Rothak i was thinking just to avoid delhi traffic.... any new bypass roads for jumping delhi via this route.
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
We did a Bombay- Ajmer in 2010, good roads after Maharastra. A little jam crossing the Narmada, rest was smooth.

Have a good trip.
You mean the traffic that occurs near the toll at baruch?

At baruch during my last trip we were at the tail of a 15km long jam....but thanks to google maps, it made our day. I guided us from some villages and bang to the point where traffic starts.

Any idea on generally at what time of the day the traffic at baruch is highest?
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:11   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2012 at 18:57.
amit_sound is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:22   #7
BHPian

Amit
Hi
Instead of the route that you have mentioned just think and check the distances of the following:
Bombay-udaipur chittaurgarh kishangarh sujangarh rattangarh hanumangarh abohar ferozpur(the mega highway excellent road throughout except a small stretch at kishangarh) zira sultanpur jalandhar or ferozpur ludhiana jalandhar.
I have not driven between zira and jalandhar as from zira I drove to amritsar.
Somebody else will have to guide you zira onwards.
A couple of points.
NH 8 is perenially jammed so drive through ankleshwar,the narmada golden bridge and bharuch and rejoin the main highway.You save on toll and distance.The golden bridge is a narrow bridge so please keep your side view mirrors folded.Do remember somebody put up a photo of this bridge.I have posted these instructions a few times earlier.Please look it up
Regarding Kishangarh I went through the town rather than the highway and a few twists and turns later was back on the highway.Worked faster for me.
Hope this helps
Regards
PS:If you decide to go through kishangarh do try Pahadia's desi ghee kachoris.Great
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

1700+ kms you would need to stop somewhere for overnight, do check which hotels allow pets. Most do not hence make arrangements prior so as there is no hassle when the time to stop comes and you aren't left searching for one in the middle of the night.

Or are you planning to do a non-stop? if yes it will be quiet a painful and sleep inducing journey.
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Or are you planning to do a non-stop? if yes it will be quiet a painful and sleep inducing journey.
Yes planning to take a stop over at chittorgarh
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

As Faustus77 mentions, you can take the following route:
Kishangarh (100 kms before Jaipur)-Sujangarh-Ladnun-Ratangad-Sardarshahr-Hanumangarh-Dabwali-Bhatinda-Jalandhar.

You will face some bad roads around Dabwali, but rest of the route is excellent.
You can avoid the traffic congestion in Jaipur-Delhi. You can avoid the slow traffic beyond Ambala till Jalandhar thanks to road widening on NH1. You can escape the 2-laned roads through Haryanva villages in the Rewari route.

AS has been mentioned, avoid the Ankleshwar-Bharuch NH8 bypass. Turn off into the Ankleshwar city and go on the Golden Bridge to Bharuch town and rejoin the NH8 next to the GNFC Fertliser Plant. Clean traffic-free road.

Do not miss turning into the Sardar Patel Ring Road to avoid getting into Ahmedabad city.

Udaipur bypass has been a problem last few months with bad roads and heavy truck traffic jams. AVoid the bypass and go through the city.

In Udaipur, go off NH8 and go on NH76/NH79 via the Airport, Chittorgarh & Bhilwara.

At Kishangarh, instead of turning right towards Jaipur, turn left towards Ajmer, cross the Railway Overbridge and then look for the right indicating the Kishangarh-Bhatinda highway. This small section is a mess.
Old 18th April 2012, 21:33   #11
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Jalandar in a Polo. With German Shepherd

Reached back to Mumbai on 13th Apr.

Here is brief of the trip:

Started dot at 5:15 from Navi Mumbai and planned to do delhi non stop, about 1590 km... (i was the single driver with my dad and german shephard)

Willl be soon posting some pics of the travel

Touched Ahmedabad at 11:15 am and had lunch on Ahmedabad - udaipur road. Damm hot was the climate. We just managed to have some quick bite and rushed into the car as soon as possible.

Road till Jaipur is amazing! Stick to the national highway and its worth a experience. I think we paid around 1500 Rs as total toll till delhi. So its around 1Rs per km you pay. But still worth it till jaipur.

We managed to clock ahmedabad- vadodra 100 km express wat in dot 44 mins touch 175 on polo for quite some time.

Crossed udaipur around 4 pm

Touched Jaipur around 11 pm. From Jaipur to delhi was a bad road ride. The entire stretch was under construction and the truck traffic was scary.

Touched delhi home at 5:15 mrng...so made the journey from mumbai to delhi was 24 hr. But i must say its too tiring to 24hr non stop and not advisible for a single driver. Atleast i wount be doing that again in future. Max 12-14 on single driver with 8 hr sleep is the best way to enjoy drive next day.

Slept at 5:30 and got up at 8:30....hand felt like i had the worst hangover ever. Still somehow managed to get up and touched delhi punjab highway at 12:15 in afternoon.

Reached punjab (jalandhar) at 5 in the evening. My wife and mom started on the same day in delux from mumbai to jalandhar. They reached home at 6:30 in punjab...we were quicker

The road from delhi to jalandhar is going to be amazing road in the next 1 year. Its a broad road, probably the broadest seen on the route, but has a little patch work as flyovers to cross small towns are being build. So every 10 km you get 1km stretch of flyover construction. Car runs slow on the construction patch.... say at 50km/hr speed.

Return journey was a adventure...will write about it later (This route was Jalandhar - Moga - Shri Ganganager - Bikaner - Ajmer - Udaipur - Ahmedabad - Mumbai)
amit_sound is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 11:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound View Post

Started dot at 5:15 from Navi Mumbai and planned to do delhi non stop, about 1590 km... (i was the single driver with my dad and german shephard)

Touched Jaipur around 11 pm. From Jaipur to delhi was a bad road ride. The entire stretch was under construction and the truck traffic was scary.

Touched delhi home at 5:15 mrng...so made the journey from mumbai to delhi was 24 hr. But i must say its too tiring to 24hr non stop and not advisible for a single driver. Atleast i wount be doing that again in future. Max 12-14 on single driver with 8 hr sleep is the best way to enjoy drive next day.
It seems to me that your trip was well planned up to Jaipur. But doing a Jaipur Delhi stretch in the night was a bad idea. There are MILLIONS of trucks which approaches Delhi from all directions and their target is to hit Delhi between 8:30 PM till 7:00 AM. The Jaipur Delhi highway is under widening and also the Toll Plazas (except for GGN toll plazas) do not have sufficient number of lanes on either sides. Therefore, they create a JAM like situation in the nights.

If it (Jaipur - Delhi) was planned with better timings, I am sure you would have been willing to do it again and again. And may be you could have reached Ambala easily with the effort, which was wasted in truck traffic between Jaipur and Delhi.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 19th April 2012, 15:57   #13
BHPian

Irish, by saying not doing that again in future, i meant 24 hr non stop and not about delhi jaipur stretch.

Agree with you, about the timing at which i reached the del-jaipur high way. Even i had this in mind about trucks wanting to reach delhi.

Like you said, if timing is right will love to do that route again despite the construction work on that road.
Old 19th April 2012, 21:23   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

How did the dog take the trip?

And what did you do for his/ her food and water etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound View Post

Willl be soon posting some pics of the travel

Touched Ahmedabad at 11:15 am and had lunch on Ahmedabad - udaipur road. Damm hot was the climate. We just managed to have some quick bite and rushed into the car as soon as possible.

Road till Jaipur is amazing! Stick to the national highway and its worth a experience. I think we paid around 1500 Rs as total toll till delhi. So its around 1Rs per km you pay. But still worth it till jaipur.

We managed to clock ahmedabad- vadodra 100 km express wat in dot 44 mins touch 175 on polo for quite some time.

Crossed udaipur around 4 pm

Slept at 5:30 and got up at 8:30....hand felt like i had the worst hangover ever. Still somehow managed to get up and touched delhi punjab highway at 12:15 in afternoon.

Reached punjab (jalandhar) at 5 in the evening. My wife and mom started on the same day in delux from mumbai to jalandhar. They reached home at 6:30 in punjab...we were quicker

The road from delhi to jalandhar is going to be amazing road in the next 1 year. Its a broad road, probably the broadest seen on the route, but has a little patch work as flyovers to cross small towns are being build. So every 10 km you get 1km stretch of flyover construction. Car runs slow on the construction patch.... say at 50km/hr speed.

Return journey was a adventure...will write about it later (This route was Jalandhar - Moga - Shri Ganganager - Bikaner - Ajmer - Udaipur - Ahmedabad - Mumbai)
Old 20th April 2012, 16:11   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
How did the dog take the trip?

And what did you do for his/ her food and water etc?
Dog became just too comfortable with trip...infact he wants to jump back in the car again..

1) Since only dad and me we travelling in car, the entire luggage was taken care by my wife and mom in train. I folded the back seats of polo and boy! it virtually a single bed as the boot and back of the seat after folding become a single compartment. My entire single bed mattress got fit so dog had ample to sleep to move, lie down, change direction etc..

2) AC was powerful, so he did not feel like coming out of the car while at stops.

3) My dog is habitual in driking water from home tap. So got a 2 liter bottle for him and used to drop water like its running out from tap. So giving water to dog i did not have to carry a extra bowl for him

4) Generally gods tend to vomit during long trip...my did once when we were reaching surat. I noted, that his direction of sitting at that time was wrong. He was facing the opposite direction of the car. Once i made sure he sits in the running direction, he never vomited again during the entire trip and back.

5) Carry vomikind (i might have spelled it wrong). Its basically tablet to avoid vomiting. Its a regular tab for human use and can be given to dog. Anyways consult your vet on dosage and other better alternatives. I did not need it as i could identify the reason for his first vomit. (point 4)

6) Keep his meals light a possible during day time. Since we planned to sleep suring night, i carried along pedigree can food.

7) Take small towel to clean the feet of dog when he is ready to go in the car again...your journey should be clean and hygenic during trip.

8) Make sure you take chain the dog when you get him out on the car. Important when you are stopping for food, tea at road side dhabas. Since dhaba owner have many dogs sitting around that place, take your caution.

9) Take a stick always to shoo ways dogs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks