Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 09:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Dehradun to Manali

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Hmmmm.........I have no intention of going on an expedition with the kids in tow. Perhaps need to reconsider going via Dehradun; the idea was to say hello to some old pals.

So, if I drop D'dun, I guess it's pretty straight forward then. Any suggestions on alternate routes or deviations that let you drive through the hills w/o too much traffic and while still remaining on a half way decent road?
I visited Chakarata from Delhi between 5 and 8 Apr. Route I followed was NH1 up to Pipli, Yamuna Nagar-Poanta Sahib-Vikas Nagar-Kalsi-Chakrata. Roads are good up to Chakarata. Drove 26 km up to Kanesar in the Chakrata - Tiuni route. This stretch is quite bad and my friend's Punto would scrape the bottom often forcing us to drive on 2nd gear for most part. I think it is the result of snow from this season and you could expect similar roads ahead to Rohru and beyond...

However, the Dehradun-Poanta Sahib-Manali route can still be explored considering the fact that NH1 from Panipat to Ambala is still a series of diversions for fly over construction.If you need to halt enroute, Visco Resort at Mandi is reasonable and further drive to Manali along Beas is refreshing. You could also add a variation by approaching Manali through Naggar by keeping to right bank of Beas from Bhunter. I did this route a year back and road was good.

Last edited by rajcs : 10th April 2012 at 10:14.
rajcs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:15   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Try an alternate on HVK's suggestion : Dehradun Mussorie Kempty Yamunapul Naugaon Mori Tuini Hathkoti Theog Narkanda Jalori Aut Kullu Manali.

Lovely drive and you can stay the night at Narkanda or thereabout.

Last edited by sudev : 10th April 2012 at 11:17.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 14:13   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Was trying to find some contact details for people who run camp stay at Mori by the Tons river side. Lovely camp in midst of pine forest. But could not. This could be alternate to Narkanda for night stay. This is not so popular but very lovely area.

IAC Google throws up lots of options https://www.google.co.in/search?sour...tons+mori+camp
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 14:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It is a 2nd and 3rd gear route, not something you can cruise on. Dehradun to Rohru would be about 5-6 hours.

Well, you had been warned, you just didn't read what I wrote too carefully...
Thanks SS-T; you are right, I did miss the original warning in your note :-)
Old 10th April 2012, 14:55   #20
BHPian

Thanks Sudev. Do you think this route is better than the Chakrata - Rohru route? To use SS-T's words - is this a 2nd and 3rd gear route or a 3rd/4th gear one?
Old 10th April 2012, 14:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It is a 2nd and 3rd gear route, not something you can cruise on. Dehradun to Rohru would be about 5-6 hours.

Well, you had been warned, you just didn't read what I wrote too carefully...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Try an alternate on HVK's suggestion : Dehradun Mussorie Kempty Yamunapul Naugaon Mori Tuini Hathkoti Theog Narkanda Jalori Aut Kullu Manali.

Lovely drive and you can stay the night at Narkanda or thereabout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
I visited Chakarata from Delhi between 5 and 8 Apr. Route I followed was NH1 up to Pipli, Yamuna Nagar-Poanta Sahib-Vikas Nagar-Kalsi-Chakrata. Roads are good up to Chakarata. Drove 26 km up to Kanesar in the Chakrata - Tiuni route. This stretch is quite bad and my friend's Punto would scrape the bottom often forcing us to drive on 2nd gear for most part. I think it is the result of snow from this season and you could expect similar roads ahead to Rohru and beyond...

However, the Dehradun-Poanta Sahib-Manali route can still be explored considering the fact that NH1 from Panipat to Ambala is still a series of diversions for fly over construction.If you need to halt enroute, Visco Resort at Mandi is reasonable and further drive to Manali along Beas is refreshing. You could also add a variation by approaching Manali through Naggar by keeping to right bank of Beas from Bhunter. I did this route a year back and road was good.
Many thanks Rajc; I quite your suggestion for the alternate route. I presume this would be much better than trying the Manali - Tiuni route.

I guess the fun of a driving holiday is that you can keep making up your mind about the route till the last day......so many thanks for all the suggestions that are coming in - they are all immensely useful and helpful
Old 11th April 2012, 08:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The route I suggested is a mix. From Yamuna Pul to Naugaon it is a route used by lots of pilgrims to Yamnotri and has some dhabas etc. From Naugaon to Theog. Small road but generally well kept. Then up to Sainj, beyond Narkanda, you are on NH. From here to Aut small road but lovely. There are two PWD/Forest rest House - Khanag and Soja - that are worth staying if one like to explore bit of wilderness. See tsk1979's thread abut trip to Teerthan valley. Aut you hit NH coming from Mandi.

The thing about hills is to love the driving part and stay on an easy schedule. Do not try to cover too much distances. Take stops as the desired and enjoy the view. The slopes around Jalori - Khanag-Jalori and Jalori-Soja are steep but lovely scenery is the reward.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmm.........I have no intention of going on an expedition with the kids in tow. Perhaps need to reconsider going via Dehradun; the idea was to say hello to some old pals.

So, if I drop D'dun, I guess it's pretty straight forward then. Any suggestions on alternate routes or deviations that let you drive through the hills w/o too much traffic and while still remaining on a half way decent road?
The route I have given works even if you drop D'dun. You ahve the option of either taking right turn from Zirakpur towards Pinjore or go straight through Chandigarh through mullanpur onto Nalagarh. You can even turn right after crossing Shahabad towards Panchkula and onto Pinjore. You decide.
Old 11th April 2012, 18:52   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
The route I suggested is a mix. From Yamuna Pul to Naugaon it is a route used by lots of pilgrims to Yamnotri and has some dhabas etc. From Naugaon to Theog. Small road but generally well kept. Then up to Sainj, beyond Narkanda, you are on NH. From here to Aut small road but lovely. There are two PWD/Forest rest House - Khanag and Soja - that are worth staying if one like to explore bit of wilderness. See tsk1979's thread abut trip to Teerthan valley. Aut you hit NH coming from Mandi.

The thing about hills is to love the driving part and stay on an easy schedule. Do not try to cover too much distances. Take stops as the desired and enjoy the view. The slopes around Jalori - Khanag-Jalori and Jalori-Soja are steep but lovely scenery is the reward.
Yup, went through it in detail and it looks like a route I'd like to do. Am now trying to put an itinerary together, will share in a day or so.
Old 1st May 2012, 14:13   #25
BHPian

The final itinerary is ready and reproduced below. Would be grateful for review and advice.

03 Jun: Delhi to Dehradun. Accommodation, etc. with friends.
04&05 Jun: In Dehradun.
06 Jun: Dehradun to Mori. Accommodation with Himalayan River runners (tented).
07 Jun: Mori. White water rafting.
08 Jun: Mori to Narkanda. Accommodation at Tethys Resort (family cottage).
09 Jun: Narkanda to Manali. Accommodation at Snow Valley Resort (Duplex family cottage or something like that).
10 & 11 Jun: Manali. Paragliding, local sight seeing and Rohtang pass.
12 Jun: Manali to Chandigarh. With friends.
13 Jun: Back to Delhi.

The idea is for the entire drive to be reasonably stress free; I am not too sure about the Mori-Narkanda stretch, which I am led to believe (on this forum) could be a bit tricky. Any insight into the accommodation would be welcome. I have not paid any where yet, but have shortlisted these post research on the net.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st May 2012, 17:12   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The final itinerary is ready ...
09 Jun: Narkanda to Manali. Accommodation at Snow Valley Resort (Duplex family cottage or something like that)...
Try out The Himalayan (Resort and spa). The property has excellent cottages with kitchen.
Old 1st May 2012, 21:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustysekhon

Try out The Himalayan (Resort and spa). The property has excellent cottages with kitchen.
Thanks Musty; do they also have room service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks