Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 12:19   #1
BHPian

Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries

Hi Guys,
We decided on a sudden family trip to Mysore, Ooty from Madurai tommorow.

We are travelling in an Innova with 6 Adults(including the driver) + 1,1year old.

Please advice on the best route to take.

1) I initially thought we will start from Madurai, reach Bangalore and then go to Mysore. Is there any other route available?

2) From Mysore to Ooty, which is the best route to take?

The tentative plan is

1. 12th Apr 2012(Thursday) - Start From Madurai early morning and reach Mysore by evening, stay there for the night and go for sight seeing on 13th and 14th

2. 15th Apr 2012(Sunday) - Start From Mysore early morning and reach Ooty by afternoon, stay there till 16th

3. 17th Apr 2012(Tuesday) - Start From Ooty and reach Madurai by evening.

i don't mind going over a longer route if the roads are good, but I am really confused about the routes to take. Please help.
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 12:57   #2
BHPian

re: Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
Hi Guys,
We decided on a sudden family trip to Mysore, Ooty from Madurai tommorow.

We are travelling in an Innova with 6 Adults(including the driver) + 1,1year old.

Please advice on the best route to take.

1) I initially thought we will start from Madurai, reach Bangalore and then go to Mysore. Is there any other route available?

The tentative plan is

1. 12th Apr 2012(Thursday) - Start From Madurai early morning and reach Mysore by evening, stay there for the night and go for sight seeing on 13th and 14th

2. 15th Apr 2012(Sunday) - Start From Mysore early morning and reach Ooty by afternoon, stay there till 16th

3. 17th Apr 2012(Tuesday) - Start From Ooty and reach Madurai by evening.

i don't mind going over a longer route if the roads are good, but I am really confused about the routes to take. Please help.

Madurai-Coimbatore-sathy-mysore-gundulpet-masinagudi-ooty-coimbatore-madurai.

cheers
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 13:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Madurai-Coimbatore-sathy-mysore-gundulpet-masinagudi-ooty-coimbatore-madurai.
I'd also suggest something similar, but I think touching Coimbatore will most probably set you back quite a bit in terms of time.

So instead of going via Coimbatore it may be better to go from Madurai to Sathy via Dindigul-Dharapuram-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur (or Palladam-Karanampettai-Karumathampatti-Annur instead of going via Avinashi).

Similarly on the way back also you can go to Annur from Mettuppalayam and go back by the same route above.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
If you really think that is ok and you dont mind taking about 150 kms longer route then.

Madurai - Dindigul - Karur - Salem - Hosur - Nice Road - Mysore Route. Given here Madurai, Tamil Nadu to Ooty, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Mysore to Ooty is Straight fwd. Mysore-Gundulpet-Masinagudi-Ooty.

Ooty to Madurai. Ooty - Coimbatore - Karur - Madurai. You can by-pass CBE by taking Mettupalayam - Annur - Palladam - Karur Road.

This will be 200+or- kms extra in total. But then, this is good roads all the way.

Last edited by Archish : 11th April 2012 at 13:38.
Archish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 13:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

This would be about 400km. As @kala, dont go via CBE. You end up spending too much time. Come down till Dindigul and take the NH209
till Odanchathiram and go to Dharapuram and there on to Palladam. Instead of going to Sulur go to Avinashi (I dont know the status of the road today,
but assume this section to be crowded.)

From there its the route Annur and continue on NH209 to Chamarajanagar. At Chamarajanaga you should look for Nanjangud road and there on to Mysore.

Plan for about 7-9 hours of drive including breaks and traffic in between.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
If you really think that is ok and you dont mind taking about 150 kms longer route then.

Madurai - Dindigul - Karur - Salem - Hosur - Nice Road - Mysore Route.
Mysore to Ooty is Straight fwd. Mysore-Gundulpet-Masinagudi-Ooty.
Ooty to Madurai. Ooty - Coimbatore - Karur - Madurai. You can by-pass CBE by taking Mettupalayam - Annur - Palladam - Karur Road.

This will be 200+or- kms extra in total. But then, this is good roads all the way.
Not sure if the extra 150 kms would be worth it. The drive till Salem would be a breeze, but one would face pretty heavy traffic from there till Bangalore, and the 6 laning work on the Krishnagiri-Hosur sector doesn't help either.

Bangalore-Mysore on SH17 isn't a cakewalk either. While the road surface is excellent, you need to cope with the numerous giant speedbreakers on the road as well as the mad traffic that seems omnipresent.

Also, do you think it is worth travelling an extra 50 kms via Karur when going from Palladam to Dindigul ? Is the state highway via Dharapuram in bad shape ? (It was pretty good when I did that stretch a couple of years ago, but haven't travelled that way for a while now)
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 14:17   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post

@Archish, the extra 150 takes you through the extremely busy Krishnagiri-Bangalore sector.
The madness has increased much more with 6-lane work commencement.

Add to it the pain of driving on the Mysore. Roads may be good, but traffic, unplanned humps and 6-laning work
would make it extremely stressful. I would say its not worth it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 15:19   #8
BHPian

Wow that is quite some replies guys!! I was not aware of the 6 lane work going on on the Krishnagiri-Bangalore road and thought since Madurai to Mysore via Salem , Bangalore is 4 lane throughout it would be stress free.
I should avoid this route altogether.

So this is the route I should take

Madurai - Dindukal - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Palladam - Avinashi - Pulliampatty- Sathyamangalam -Bannari - Hasanur - Punajanur - Chanmarajanangara - Nanjangodu - Mysore

Madurai, Tamil Nadu to Ooty, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

This route passes thorugh Sathyamangalam tiger reserve. Do we need to get any special permission to pass thorugh this route?.

P.S: There was a slight tremor felt here in Chennai. Nothing major.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:42   #9
BHPian

Hi - I am going to Ooty on 1st Jan from Madurai. Checked in google maps, it shows 2 routes - pls help to suggest which is the best route with good road conditions.

1. Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Palani - Udumalpet - Coimbatore - Mettupalayam - Ooty
2. Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Palladam - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty
Attached Thumbnails
Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries-route-map.jpg  

Old 16th December 2014, 19:15   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raka1o View Post
Hi - I am going to Ooty on 1st Jan from Madurai. Checked in google maps, it shows 2 routes - pls help to suggest which is the best route with good road conditions.
#2 should be a better option I think so that Coimbatore can be avoided.
Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Palladam - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 19:19   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. Madurai - Dindigul - Oddanchatram - Dharapuram - Palladam - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty
Route #2 Any day. It bypasses Coimbattore as NPV mentioned. The only problem here is you dont have good places to break. I dont see any options. You may have to look at Dharapuram.
Old 19th December 2014, 19:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Route #2 Any day. It bypasses Coimbattore as NPV mentioned. The only problem here is you dont have good places to break. I dont see any options. You may have to look at Dharapuram.

NPV - how about road condition of #2 - this very important for me, what is the best place to halt for breakfast
Old 19th December 2014, 19:09   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
NPV - how about road condition of #2 - this very important for me, what is the best place to halt for breakfast
Its good road all the way. Other than Dharapuram I dont see any other place. You wont get the regular highway hotels. You need to find the smaller ones only.
Old 19th December 2014, 19:16   #14
BHPian

I also see Route 3 in google maps. I am familiar with NH-7 so thinking to take this route. Want to know how is the road condition from Aravakurichi to Palladam

Madurai - Dindigul - Aravakurichi- Kangayam - Palladam - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty
Old 19th December 2014, 22:00   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Madurai - Dindigul - Aravakurichi- Kangayam - Palladam - Annur - Mettupalayam - Ooty
It does not help you much. Instead you lose one point which can be used for a break (Dharapuram).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks