Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 17:55   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Jayalgarh to Lansdowne

Going to Jayalgarh (Srinagar, Uttranchal) on 26th May with a couple of freinds. After a day at the camp with some rafting will drive to Lansdowne and after a night there, back to Delhi.

Here are a few questions for the people who have been there done that

1. How is the road from Rishikesh to Jayalgarh (dist. Srinagar)? (we are staying in a camp called Himalayn Eco lodges and camps, any feedback on that is welcome)

2. We shall leave at about noon on Saturday 26th May from Delhi. We are told that we can not legally drive uphill if we reach rishikesh after 6 in the evening. Is that a validated information?

3. If answer to question 2 is a yes, we shall stay over night at Rishikesh and reach this camp in the morning. It is said to be about 110 kilometers from Rishikesh, what do you suggest would be an approximate time taken by us to reach there on the basis of road condition?

4. What would be the most appropriate route from Srinagar to Lansdowne? Also, what kind of road conditions can we expect? Google maps suggest us to remain mostly on NH309.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 12th April 2012, 19:53   #2
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Jayalgarh to Lansdowne

Ok.. looks like no one has taken this road before
Old 17th May 2012, 10:30   #3
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Jayalgarh to Lansdowne[edit]rishikesh to lansdowne

Apologies for persisting with it and reviving it again.

Since there was no response here, I tried looking for an answer outside and got varying responses.

Has anyone travelled between Rishikesh and Lansdowne? If yes, can you please tell me the route, road condition and approximate time of travel.

I need to make a realistic assessment as it is a packed tour and one delay will lead to so many others.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a reply.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:00   #4
BHPian

I have done Lansedowne to rishikesh in 2006 and road was quite good then. Took us roughly 2.5 hrs. The road goes through the wildlife sanctuary for some passage and its quite beautiful.

From Srinagar to Lansedowne you have to go via pauri. The road is good except for some patches in between. check Uttarakhand section at Indiamike and you will get more information on this road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New.Novice View Post
Apologies for persisting with it and reviving it again.

Since there was no response here, I tried looking for an answer outside and got varying responses.

Has anyone travelled between Rishikesh and Lansdowne? If yes, can you please tell me the route, road condition and approximate time of travel.

I need to make a realistic assessment as it is a packed tour and one delay will lead to so many others.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a reply.
deeps79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 11:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:

Has anyone travelled between Rishikesh and Lansdowne?
I did Lansdowne-Rishikesh way back in 2007. I'll lay down what I can remember: the road was not tarred but decently smooth, it was pretty flat with very few inclines/declines for most of the part till a few km before Rishikesh and it took us about 4 hours with some stops. Also there was no markings for the road at Lansdowne and we're directed to it by the locals.

I think there are time restrictions, post 8 PM, at Rishikesh for onward journey.

EDIT: If possible, try leaving early on Saturday as it can make a difference in Delhi-Rishikesh travel time as the traffic on this route increases substantially as the day progresses.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 18th May 2012 at 11:26.
lordofgondor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 16:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I did Lansdowne-Rishikesh way back in 2007. I'll lay down what I can remember:

EDIT: If possible, try leaving early on Saturday as it can make a difference in Delhi-Rishikesh travel time as the traffic on this route increases substantially as the day progresses.
Thanks, and sorry for a delayed acknowledgement. Was witnessing two most horrifying days of my life with 2.5 years old daughter of my friend getting kidnapped on saturday evening. Cant thank god enough, we found her safe this morning . Still not able to come to the terms.. with a constant shiver in my spine.

Now that everything is fine again the trip is on. Can you please tell me the route that you have taken? As I see it (from various sites) there are two routes one through kotdwara and the other one through uttranchal hilly region with not even one prominent place on the way.l
Old 21st May 2012, 16:24   #7
BHPian

Glad to know that the child is safe.

Quote:
... and the other one through uttranchal hilly region with not even one prominent place on the way.l
Yeah, this was the one we'd taken. It was a pretty level dirt road running along hill tops. It was actually a nice drive with hills & valleys vistas as the road was at higher altitude than the hills around. IIRC, there wasn't any tough section on the road. And yes, it's kinda desolate on this route.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 21st May 2012 at 16:26.
Old 19th February 2013, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Could you suggest which is the best hotel in Lansdowne to stay in with family pls?
Old 19th March 2013, 15:06   #9
BHPian

I've heard that Oak Grove Inn is a good place to stay, run by a retired Army Colonel and his wife. (I've not been there myself, just heard from others).

By the way, I'm planning on doing a Delhi > Dehradun > Landour > Dehradun > Lansdowne > Delhi trip by car around mid-April. Do you (or anybody in this forum) have any information on the road conditions between Dehradun and Lansdowne? I understand that upto Rishikesh the road is okay, but beyond that - no idea!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks