Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 13:24   #1
BANNED

Delhi -> Dhanbad Route?

Hi, planning a Delhi Dhanbad road trip. From here I will travel another 150km to Deoghar, one of 12 Jyotirliingas. Date of departure is 27th May, my car is 2007 Wagon R (~57,000 kms on odo) and giving me company will be my wife and two daughters (9 & 2).

My questions are:

Can I take Taj Expressway till Agra? It's still not officially open.

Want to stay at Sarnath. What do I lose if I don't spend the night at Varanasi as almost everyone who have done this trip have opted for this celestial city.

What is the reasonable time to reach Sarnath/Varanasi if I stick to 80/90 and leave Delhi at 4.30?

What special planning required for 2 year old child?

Considering the heat any special preparation needed?

Thank you all and specifically to SSTraveller considering the fact that he has done 27 trips on this road and whose experiences I have eagerly devoured.

Last edited by anandjha : 16th May 2012 at 13:26.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 20:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi -> Dhanbad Route?

Keep milk and snacks for the child. Many parts of the NH are devoid of any good eating joint and the NH veers away from the cities so having a good quality snack might be an issue especially after crossing Kanpur. Starting at around 4.30 and at the speeds you ahve mentioned, its best to stick to Varanasi for the night stay and not push to Sarnath, which though doable but will cause fatigue atleast to the kids.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 20:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post

Can I take Taj Expressway till Agra? It's still not officially open.
No Taj Expressway, only NH2 to Agra. Leave early from Delhi (say, 430 am at least) to avoid traffic on NH2.

Quote:
Want to stay at Sarnath. What do I lose if I don't spend the night at Varanasi as almost everyone who have done this trip have opted for this celestial city.

What is the reasonable time to reach Sarnath/Varanasi if I stick to 80/90 and leave Delhi at 4.30?
Long drive. Budget for full day. You will reach only by evening. You cannot be cruising at 80/90 on these roads, even the trucks will be overtaking you.

Quote:
What special planning required for 2 year old child?
Carry milk in flask, you may not get good quality en route. There are hardly any hotels or facilities en route. Ideally, carry your own packed food.

Quote:
Considering the heat any special preparation needed?
Carry lots of water. Add electrals to water & drink at least once or twice during the drive.
hvkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading some triplog somewhere that the taj expressway is now open? Though a month and half back the exit clover at the end of agra was still WIP
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 12:03   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
even the trucks will be overtaking you.
Well said. But the most comfortable speed a Wagon R can do is 100/110 maybe an occasional 120 and it doesn't inspire confidence after that. But you give me confidence to try the road out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I remember reading some triplog somewhere that the taj expressway is now open? Though a month and half back the exit clover at the end of agra was still WIP
Went around the threads a bit and found that Taj Expressway is only open for the vehicles with passes. Yet to figure out how to procure them.

Last edited by anandjha : 17th May 2012 at 12:06.
Old 17th May 2012, 12:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Dhanbad to Deoghar is ~175kms with good roads which are wide (single-lane).

Best driven prior to 8-9pm as traffic thins out & is (the stretch) a bit Maoist infested.
Old 17th May 2012, 13:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Anand: First thing to check would be your air-conditioner. It's a 5-year-old car, and if you have not had the cooling coils under the dashboard cleaned out, you'll end up with an overheated cabin AND engine (and wife too! )

Taj Expressway is not open throughout its full length, and at one place at least, there is reported to be a diversion through narrow village roads where construction is not complete. For me when leaving from South Delhi, it's easier to connect to NH2 via Faridabad, than divert to Greater Noida.

Sarnath is next door to Varanasi (20 minutes' drive from the Benaras Railway station, traffic permitting), so staying someplace there is certainly an option - unless a Japanese delegation or the Dalai Lama is visiting (usually unannounced); then all hotels are full. Otherwise I feel the few hotels that are there are quite decent looking, though I've never had occasion to stay in any of them. Will look forward to your report of Sarnath hotels, though over the last few years, I have stopped taking a break and drive non-stop the whole way.

Delhi > Sarnath should take you 14-15 hours (so ETA would be @7 pm) if you manage to stick to 80-90 km/h - which will be an impossibility unless the missus takes up the job of being your speed governor! Not exceeding 110 km/h, I've covered Benaras (Ganga bridge on bypass) to Delhi in <12 hrs. Entering Benaras in the early evening should be quite frustrating though, with the crawling traffic that is usually there between 4 pm and 8 pm.

Special planning for a 2-year-old? Aah... the nostalgia of 10-12 years ago... We used to carry hot water in a couple of flasks, and milk powder/feed for our daughter. And she loved dahi-paratha which is ever-available anywhere in north India. For fresh milk, ask at any dhaba so far as UP is concerned - you are going to traverse the cow-belt of India and you think you won't get fresh milk? BR-JH, milk availability may be a bit iffy quality-wise, but Benaras > Dhanbad is a 7-8 hour drive, and I am sure you'll manage!
Old 17th May 2012, 14:43   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry it is not open. afaik they are still waiting for the speed limits and some neta to cut the ribbon, even though Akhilesh Yadav has said no more inaugurations! I guess it may need some order to make it limited access.

There was some rumble that public is threatening to 'inaugurate' it themselves, and forget/override the officials. Last month I met someone who is using it regularly but has a special permit. Yesterday some chap said on the box that he had driven down it, and was ecstatic.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:19   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hi Anand: First thing to check would be your air-conditioner. It's a 5-year-old car, and if you have not had the cooling coils under the dashboard cleaned out, you'll end up with an overheated cabin AND engine (and wife too! )

Delhi > Sarnath should take you 14-15 hours (so ETA would be @7 pm) if you manage to stick to 80-90 km/h - which will be an impossibility unless the missus takes up the job of being your speed governor!
First of all thank you for your response.

Second, do answer this question of mine, 'From where do you manage all this wit?' This is something that makes your TL stand apart from the rest.

My car's AC seems to be cooling perfectly. Still I would get the evaporator checked.

Sarnath, though I am very keen on visiting, I think I'll have to give a miss since I will be reaching late. Maybe I'll stay at either of the two places mentioned in your TL in Varanasi.

These are the two pictures of my car taken in Jan 2012 on road to Jaipur:
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi -> Dhanbad Route?-img_8682.jpg  

Delhi -> Dhanbad Route?-img_8701.jpg  

Old 17th May 2012, 16:49   #10
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Take Amul taaja tetrabrick milk packets with you for kid . they are much better than what you get on the way. further UP-MP belt is notorious for synthetic milk.

Packed milk ( preferably AMUL/Mother dairy) will last for more than week without refrigeration. It is available in 200 ml packs just like fruity etc.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 18:51   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Sarnath, though I am very keen on visiting, I think I'll have to give a miss since I will be reaching late.
If you reach in daylight, you might as well visit Sarnath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
...UP-MP belt is notorious for synthetic milk.
More on the Meerut-Muzaffarnagar belt than on the Agra-Kanpur-Benaras belt. Plus, any truck driver enjoys his milk, and any dhaba that attracts truck drivers cannot afford to serve them synthetic milk - the consequences would be pretty nasty!
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:24   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Take Amul taaja tetrabrick milk packets with you for kid . they are much better than what you get on the way. further UP-MP belt is notorious for synthetic milk.

Packed milk ( preferably AMUL/Mother dairy) will last for more than week without refrigeration. It is available in 200 ml packs just like fruity etc.
What an idea Sirji! It will be of great help. Was wondering why it didn't strike me. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks