Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2016, 14:11   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shourya_lahiri View Post
there must have been some reason for me to face that trauma.. But I really did have a bad time.

Regards
Probably because this might have been your first proper long drive.
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:09   #737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
Thanks a lot BlackPearl for sharing the details. I believe the device itself costs over 15K INR which for me is indeed a little steep. Is there any Android based Application which works on a Smartphone and can log a similar kind of data ?
It will cost a lot less if you can get it from USA. It has a few advantages over mobile phone -
1. The tracking rate is much higher than than that in mobile, hence the plot logged is much more accurate. With mobile phone you will tend to get a lot of straight lines between the points. This tends to get aggravated if you drive at higher speeds. For a driver like you, one will get a lot of distance between two successive points logged in a mobile. The difference is like this -
In a dedicated GPS the tracking rate is 10 times per second or more whereas in a phone it is usually once per second.

2. 4 AA rechargeable batteries will last a 4 day trip. On the other hand the mobile will have to be kept charged all the time. Location updates consume a lot of battery

3. Helpful in no road conditions and during hiking where you can trace your route back if you get lost.

4. You can connect it to a lot of ancillary devices like temperature sensor, heart rate monitor, virb camera etc.

Quote:
and that's exactly my point !! The logged data would be misleading as it would fetch results without considering the real time situations of "forced stops" as you mentioned.
There is a way around for this as well. You can mark the spot with a waymarker and update the reason for stoppage. It hardly takes any time. With more advanced handheld GPS with a camera, you even take an image and geo-tag it for future use.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 2nd June 2016 at 16:21.
BlackPearl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 16:18   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any Android based Application which works on a Smartphone and can log a similar kind of data ?
I am using this app currently. Its quite good for real time data like average moving speed, total time, trip records etc. Its GPS based and works quite well near the windshield of the car.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ys.speedometer
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 11:22   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any Android based Application which works on a Smartphone and can log a similar kind of data ?
The simplest method would be to simply turn on Google Location History!

Then you can find and download all your log by visiting "Your timeline" in Google Maps. It works even if you are using offline Maps like HERE for navigation. Later you can do many fancy analysis like as done in this post.

Cheers,
gmhossain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 11:30   #740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post

The SH7 option solves a lot of problems for many.
If there is need for further clarification, let me be clear, as of March 2016, SH-7 option was found to be the best for Kolkata-Siliguri trips. Infact, I had expressed my extreme satisfaction and surprise to find the State Highways in such spick and span condition, which allowed me to maintain very good speeds throughout. From Burdwan upto Kuli More (SH-7), was just pristine apart from a couple of culverts here and there which were unfinished and one big bumper. With sparse traffic, this part was extremely satisfying and fun to drive. From Kuli the road had been laid but not surfaced yet. This I presume from the current discussion is still in the same state. However, the trick with the old gen Figo over such rough but uniform surface is to drive over at reasonable speeds which I was able to do owing to sparse traffic. Thus, even with the well connected hydraulic steering unit, the jarring could be minimized to tolerable limits. However, for SUVs and Sedans with fatter rubber, the stretch seemed rather reasonable even back then. I had Scorpios and Taveras glide past me with aplomb in that stretch. On my return, I was a bit impatient and hence preferred a route where I could maintain higher average speeds at the cost of some extra kilometers. SH-11 was found to be in excellent shape and thus I had suggested the detour even though timings, i guess, wont be much different.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 18:54   #741
BHPian

Latest Update of SH7 : Traveled on 11th of June 2016 :

As mentioned by BHPian mi2n the SH7 upto Kuli is more or less in a very good condition. However, from Kuli to Khargram there are 'men at work' and what remains is the fresh layer of tarmac carpeting within this stretch.

However, the road nearing (and in and around) Sherpur is in atrocious condition and pretty rugged upto Panchgram. Some sections have got some large craters as well. Again from Panchgram to Moregram just simply invites tarmac carpeting.

Overall, the stretch from Kuli to Moregram which is approximately a 40 Kms stretch, is very dusty, pretty rugged and needs immediate repair before monsoon comes in. Sharing some pictures of the stretch (a bit of good and bad) :

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_112705.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_113004.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_115008_1.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_115244_1.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_115448_1.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_115602_1.jpg

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-p_20160611_120007_1.jpg

Given the current day scenario, it is better to avoid and instead stick to NH-34 all throughout considering the onward traffic scenario at Dankuni and Kona Expressway if you are returning via this route.

Last edited by AJ-got-BHP : 13th June 2016 at 18:58. Reason: Changes
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 19:20   #742
BHPian

Just been to Siliguri and back last week, I have taken NH34 entirely. The condition is best I have seen in years.

1. There are diversions upto Baharampur but the condition is fine, there are no major potholes or broken patches.

2. From Beharampur took a bypass as Bhpian PointZero advised. The bypass was totally empty at night and with minimum crowd while returning in the evening.

3. Beharampur to Farakka is wonderfull 6 lane.

4. Like always expect traffic jam from Farakka to Kaliachak. Its better to plan ahead.

5. After Raiganj took the Botolbari route as many suggested. Another close to 60 kms without traffic and beautiful rural roads. I crossed this section in the early morning. Dont know if this route is safe at night as this is very close to Bangladesh Border. The advantage is you are bypassing Dalkhola

6. Nh31 is again very good.

It took us exactly 12 hours to cover this route. Google map link-

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Ko...1012!3e0?hl=en
Uprasenjit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2016, 11:36   #743

Uprasenjit - sincere thanks for this sincere update. Now I am trying to understand how botolbari route will be during day time, considering If I leave Kolkata around 4 AM. 12 hours is probably the best in last many years.
mmchak@gmail.co is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 21:11   #744
Team-BHP Support

Today, BHPian rahul_kej was stuck at Vikramsila Setu and in the Amarpur route. Reason for jam were haphazardly parked driver less lorries, reason being, a broken bridge (not directly in that route)

He reports of a broken bridge in Bhagalpur bypass as well.
Old 30th June 2016, 23:44   #745
BHPian

I won't suggest anyone to use the Bhagalpur route for Kolkata currently. Lost 2 to 3 hours due to truck traffic. It was a total mess. Though the Amarpur Banka is a beautiful route but one cant maintain good speeds for long due to lot of twist and turns and not that broad road.

I will be doing complete NH34 for Kolkata siliguri during my return journey from Vizag and will update the details.

Last edited by rahul_kej : 30th June 2016 at 23:45.
Old 10th July 2016, 13:00   #746
BHPian

Just came back to Siliguri from Vizag driving non stop via Kolkata. I left Kolaghat at 11pm on 6th July and reached Siliguri at 11am on 7th July.

Truck traffic was very sparse due to Eid. I followed complete NH34 and i must say the condition is not good.

The roads are of mixed bag. You cant drive at good speeds continuously. Lots and lots of sudden pot holes even in Farakka Berhampore toll stretch.

From Farakka barrage till Botolbari turning condition is very very bad. The roads are broken and condition will worsen during this monsoon.

Botolbari Dhantola route is 50-50 and the effect of rains can be seen. The exit at Dantola cant be crossed by any sedan or hatchback due to crater size pot holes and one cant guess the depth as it is filled with water.

The roads in Islampur has also detiorated lots, as it has broken due to rains and please be careful while entering and exiting Islampur as there are huge craters.

Now i really dont know which will be the best route for Kolkata Siliguri and seeing the condition of NH34 I dont see any drastic change in near future.

I was able to do this stretch in only 11 hours as there was very less truck traffic and I didnt get stuck anywhere and not to forget the adder advantages of an SUV on this route.
Old 11th July 2016, 19:06   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
not to forget the adder advantages of an SUV on this route.
Thanks for the recent update !!

By the way, if you do not mind, I would like to know that what exactly is the added advantage of an SUV on this route ? (as you mentioned)
Old 11th July 2016, 22:09   #748
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, if you do not mind, I would like to know that what exactly is the added advantage of an SUV on this route ? (as you mentioned)
As our XUV was fully loaded with lot of luggage and 4 on board, still didnt loose much of ground clearance. The sudden pot holes didnt scrap the underbody, many times we had to take diversion through a bad patch and we could do that without slowing down too much.

Not to forget the big speed breakers in all railway crossings and the worst was the exit from dantola with crater size pot holes which was filled with rain water.

The condition is not same what people have done a month or couple of months back. Condition is detiorating very fast due to monsoons.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 20:38   #749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Between Dalkola to Islampur as well, you can simply keep the speed at 90/100 and keep on driving in a ladder on frame based SUV, something which you simply cannot do in a hatch/sedan.

At Kishangunj [while going towards Siliguri] there are BIG potholes and can bother you if you are not careful. The Fortuner's rear mud-flap scraped as I was impatient, wouldn't have tried this in something else. At Islampur town as well, there are potholes to fit every vehicle.

It is not possible for a human eye to gauge the depth of a ditch filled with water, while it won't swallow your vehicle, it can sure be a cause of a break-down or worst bumper danglers.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 21:10   #750
Senior - BHPian

Seems the road has really worsened. I had done siliguri to kolkata door to door in 11.5 hrs last December in a hatch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks