Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 10:28   #796
BHPian

re: Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
"Malda bypass" is around 10 KM long, greenfield alignment of NH-34 which is under-construction at the moment. It will skirt Malda Town (English Bazar) completely along its eastern side. Although, it is not open to thru traffic yet but some stretches are already being used by locals.

Malda bypass was supposed to be operational by last December which was missed. The revised deadline is March 2017 (very likely to be missed again). To add to the confusion, HCC has already put up multiple road signage along Baharampur-Farakka section where it is mentioned "Malda Bypass: XY km".
Tried getting onto the under-construction track in August 2016 while on return journey from Shillong, realised it was not continuous after checking with locals. Would love to see the update about being operational!
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 12:48   #797
BHPian

31-Jan-17 Update: The bridge on NH-60 has been repaired. Now you may take the usual SH7 and directly connect to Morgram without going via Palsanda More.

When compared to my last visit in November:
  • A 10-12 km stretch from Kuli to Panchgram continues to be abysmal.
  • The Farraka barrage road surface has improved too.
  • *Portions* of NH 31 has been resurfaced too.
  • The Bengal to Bengal road continues to be good.
  • Encountered some traffic around Malda town. Took me 45 mins to cross those 7 kms - railway crossings et al.
Started from Calcutta at 5.18 AM and reached Siliguri at 5 PM.

Quote:
Due to a damaged bridge, the stretch of NH-60 that connects NH-34 at Morgram, is now closed.
Went on a winter trek to Phalut in early January, great pain, but greater weather !Will post the travelogue soon .

Cheers!
Sayak

Last edited by sayakc : 2nd February 2017 at 12:52.
sayakc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 11:16   #798
BHPian

Been back from Sikkim recently. For the home run from Malda, a useful suggestion from Senior BHPian 1100D, came handy. Although a longer route, but eventually the bad section between Kuli - Moregram was bypassed AND saved me from the Behrampur nightmare as well. Sharing the route here : hope it helps!

https://goo.gl/maps/Sj4A8S3ysv32

Last edited by shourya_lahiri : 5th February 2017 at 11:18.
Old 10th February 2017, 17:15   #799
BHPian

Was having an idle day during my Kolkata holidays & hence decided to check out the SH 7 route as suggested by many here,instead of the continuous NH 34.
I had driven to Siliguri about 3/4 times from kolkata & every time took the NH34 route earlier & as such wanted to acquaint myself with the SH7 route.I left Kolkata (Dunlop Bridge) at around 10.00 AM and took NH2 till Burdwan through NH2 & then SH 7 till the NH 34 T point(near Moregram).
I reached the NH 34 junction around 2 pm the total distance was 214 kms. Encountered a small traffic jam inside Burdwan(small GT road portion) during connecting to SH7.
I decided to return (2PM only,did not halt there,just took the right turm towards Kolkata) all through NH34 & I reached home in Kolkata(Dunlop) at around 9 PM.So it took 7 hours & I immediately understood why others do not take the entire NH 34 route.
About 2 km of road near Khargram in SH7 was very bad & further 14 km towards Sherpur was bad.Still the entire journey took 4 hours including 30 mins in Burdwan & about 20 mins gone on filling & small stops.Will post some snaps of the SH7 route.
Samratrek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 09:45   #800
BHPian

Posting some snaps of the now relaid surface about 12 km after Khargram till NH 34/Morgram T point.
Attached Thumbnails
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-wp_20170206_13_50_08_pro.jpg  

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-wp_20170206_13_50_12_pro.jpg  

Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-wp_20170206_13_50_19_pro.jpg  

Samratrek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 14:57   #801
Senior - BHPian

Guys am in a fix. I will be driving to Kolkatta from Siliguri on 12/13 March. What route should I take? Travelling with wife and two daughters aged 11 and 7. Is it advisable to do it at night? Also 13 being holi will it be a prob'em during the day on ṭhis route? Tentative plan is to leave Siliguri after dinner around 2130 and go up to Farrakka and have some sleep in the car itself for a couple of hours and then drive to Kolkatta.
Suggestions and advise will be much appreciated. It is just part of the journey I am doing from Jorhat-kolkatta-digha-bhubneshwar-chilka-Jamshedpur-Varanasi-Chandigarh.
Old 26th February 2017, 14:49   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
I will be driving to Kolkatta from Siliguri on 12/13 March. What route should I take?
Though I am not an expert here, I have traveled only up to Malda, that even twice in last two months. I am sorry have not even driven beyond lately. But judging from my side, it is better to avail NH-34 and then SH-7 towards Bardhaman (on your way to Calcutta) from Morgram.

Quote:
Travelling with wife and two daughters aged 11 and 7. Is it advisable to do it at night?
If you are a first time driver in this route, I suggest that you better drive at daytime.
Quote:
Also 13 being holi will it be a prob'em during the day on ṭhis route? Tentative plan is to leave Siliguri after dinner around 2130 and go up to Farrakka and have some sleep in the car itself for a couple of hours and then drive to Kolkatta.
In that case it is better to drive in the state of West Bengal to the fullest extent possible. But this is my personal views. I welcome any difference of opinion here.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 21:26   #803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
That is interesting. Which road do you take ? Haven't been to that side for a very long time. How deep are ruts on the Bhagalpur-Hansdiha-Dumka stretch ?
[Route was Purnia - Bhagalpur - Amarpur - Katoria - Deoghar - Basukinath - Deoghar - Hansdiha - Bhagalpur - Purnia]

Details here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4173904

Please if someone may update the route between Dumka to Hansdiha, we can be sure about this route.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 09:57   #804
BHPian

Went up to a place called Dhubulia and returned back yesterday, using NH-34. The highway was good all the way. I do not remember any single pothole anywhere. While going used Krishnanagar-Ranaghat bypass road. One may use this road to stop going via Shantipur and Phulia. Though the bypass has three or four railway level crossing (one unused), it has much less traffic and is free from trucks.
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 13:47   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Went up to a place called Dhubulia and returned back yesterday, using NH-34. The highway was good all the way. I do not remember any single pothole anywhere.
Yes, you are right. NH-34 (or may be we should start calling it NH-12 now!) is in reasonably good shape throughout at present. I returned after a road-trip to Malda during the last weekend. I used NH-12 mostly (except for Sargachhi bypass to avoid going through the middle of Baharampur town).

The maintenance of Airport-Krishnanagar stretch of NH-12 is now taken over by WB PWD (NH wing) from NHAI (although it will remain funded by MoRTH). After taking over, PWD has done one round of resurfacing work at multiple stretches. So the surface is pretty smooth upto Krishnanagar. Also, the balance 4-laning work for this stretch of NH-12 will now be done under WB PWD.

The 4-laning work has also resumed for Krishnanagar-Baharampur stretch after being stalled for last 2 years. NHAI has agreed to separately fund the entire cost-overrun. So unless something goes wrong again, provisional toll operation for this strtech could begin by end of this year.

Ballalpur ROB (near Farakka) remains a bottleneck. I was stuck there for nearly 45 min even after following a NBSTC bus which was driving through the right carriageway! Fortunately, the ROB work seems to have picked up some pace at last.

Overall, NH-12 surface is good but the traffic is heavy as usual. So if you are starting from Kolkata, using SH-7 to reach Morgram remains a good alternative.

A resurfaced stretch near Krishananagar
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nh12p3.jpg

Traffic is diverted to use the new lane near Bethuadahari
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nh12p2.jpg

Land filling work near Rejinagar
Kolkata - Siliguri route via Dumka, Bhagalpur or NH-12 (old NH-34)-nh12p1.jpg

Last edited by gmhossain : 20th April 2017 at 13:50.
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 12:10   #806
BHPian

Dada,

Your contribution in this thread has been priceless!I am planning to take the road this weekend. Hence a couple of questions:
1. Do you have any updates on the Malda bypass? I had availed it back in February but it was not metaled.
2. A 10-12 kms stretch on SH 7 near Khargram was in very poor shape in all my past journeys. Any information regarding that?

Quote:
Yes, you are right. NH-34 (or may be we should start calling it NH-12 now!) is in reasonably good shape throughout at present. I returned after a road-trip to Malda during the last weekend.
Regards,
Sayak
Old 10th May 2017, 16:20   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
I am planning to take the road this weekend. Hence a couple of questions:
1. Do you have any updates on the Malda bypass? I had availed it back in February but it was not metaled.
2. A 10-12 kms stretch on SH 7 near Khargram was in very poor shape in all my past journeys. Any information regarding that?

Regards,
Sayak

Thanks! No, Malda bypass is not ready yet. However, the traffic through Malda town is smoother nowadays. I haven't taken SH-7 lately so I don't know the current situation.

As you approach Ballalpur (Bailey bridge over railway track near Farakka), please keep an eye on the truck queue ahead and if needed switch to the right carriageway as like other passenger vehicles. The construction of new ROB has picked up pace lately and some time traffic flows are affected due to the movement of the heavy construction vehicles there.

Best,
gmhossain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 18:43   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayakc View Post
Dada,

Your contribution in this thread has been priceless!I am planning to take the road this weekend. Hence a couple of questions:

Regards,
Sayak

Quote:
Thanks! No, Malda bypass is not ready yet. However, the traffic through Malda town is smoother nowadays. I haven't taken SH-7 lately so I don't know the current situation.

As you approach Ballalpur (Bailey bridge over railway track near Farakka), please keep an eye on the truck queue ahead and if needed switch to the right carriageway as like other passenger vehicles. The construction of new ROB has picked up pace lately and some time traffic flows are affected due to the movement of the heavy construction vehicles there.

Best,
I am back from a trip to Jaldapara-Buxa-Jayanti 10 days back.

1) Malda bypass is not yet open to traffic. But I have seen a few vehicles and motorcycles plying on that after crossing the Mahananda bridge.

2) Faced an hour traffic congestion in Malda town around 1pm. It was cool when we were returning around 7 am.

3) SH 7 entire stretch has good to very good surface all through. Some rough patches here and there, but no potholes anywhere.

4) Best route to be followed:
Kolkata-Dgp expy-SH7(Burdwan-Nabagram-Khargram)-Moregram-NH12/NH34-Malda-Raiganj-Botolbari-Dhantola-Islampur-Siliguri.

Avoid Raiganj-Dalkhola route as it has very bad surface. Take the Botolbari exit.

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 10th May 2017 at 18:44.
gearhead_mait is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 22:12   #809
BHPian

Thanks Gearhead! Good to hear from you.
Your info is very helpful indeed I had recorded some timings in an earlier post on this thread.

- I had faced obnoxious jams while crossing Malda everytime (excepting during the Pujo last year ~20-25 mins). Took me 45 mins at the minimum and 2.5 hrs once. In February, 2017 I took the Malda bypass while going to Siliguri entire road was under construction and it redirected me back to the town. However, saved some time.

- SH7 seems to be repaired then? A 10-12 km stretch between Kuli and Khargram was very poor in Feb. Will update the thread once I return.

Btw, will be waiting for the travelogue from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_mait View Post
I am back from a trip to Jaldapara-Buxa-Jayanti 10 days back.

2) Faced an hour traffic congestion in Malda town around 1pm. It was cool when we were returning around 7 am.

Last edited by sayakc : 10th May 2017 at 22:34.
Old 11th May 2017, 13:19   #810

Just back from a road trip to Lava & Kalimpong. The route taken while going was Kona Expressway - NH2 till Burdwan - SH7 till Moregram - Raiganj - Botolbari Rasakhowa Rd to Dhantola - Islampur - Siliguri. The entire stretch was good roads including the SH7 & the Botolbari Road.
On the way back, continued on NH12 till Dalkhola which was a mistake as had to encounter huge traffic jam at Dalkhola. However, taking the help from locals took a village road and was back on Raiganj Road avoiding majority of the traffic.

Malda was another bottleneck while returning. Took help of google to take a few diversions through Malda town to avoid the same.

Also wanted to update -Siliguri to Kalimpong the road is in top condition and a pleasure to drive on. However the road to Lava which we took while going through the Dooars was very good till about 24 kms before Lava. After that there was no road at all. Thanks to my Ford Ecosport we made it in one piece. The road seems to be under construction so best to avoid. While returning from Lava, we took the Lava - Kalimpong - Siliguri route. The Lava to Kalimpong route was also in very bad condition till Algarah. After Algarah till Kalimpong & onwards to Siliguri was excellent.

Quote:
- SH7 seems to be repaired then? A 10-12 km stretch between Kuli and Khargram was very poor in Feb. Will update the thread once I return.
The entire SH7 was very good to excellent and I did not see any bad stretches worth mentioning. Crossed this stretch twice last week during my trip to Kalimpong.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2017 at 13:39. Reason: Back to back posts -- merging
prk265 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks