Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 01:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kumaon: roads less traveled and forests less visited

Very interesting itinerary! Wish I can go for such a trip!
Nilanjay, also look for the rooftop tents or some of them comes that lays on floor and attached to your SUV, would be fun to go on such an adventurous trip!
I may plan to drive Blr-Delhi on Oct 18/19 but may drive via NH4 since I have heard Nagpur route is really bad! I wish I could have gone for such a wonderful trip!
I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip and all the places on the list, we shall wait for the trip and then the pictures!
Drive safe!
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Decided to spend 2 days in Sitabani FRH if I get the rooms. Been Googling about Sitabani, seems to be interesting. Decided to cancel the Edadeo FRH plan - out of the way, and most likely won't lead to a unique experience, given that I am also staying in Kunjakharak FRH at an altitude of 7200 feet.

I found this interesting map in Indiamike, in a 2007 MTB thread: hoping that some of the trails can be explored in a 4WD. Especially the forest roads. Would be lovely experiencing sunsets and late evening, parked on or beside a forest trail.

Name:  5800d1177296796cyclingmtbnainatalpangotandcorbettmtb.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  44.5 KB
Old 5th September 2012, 08:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Very interesting itinerary! Wish I can go for such a trip!
Nilanjay, also look for the rooftop tents or some of them comes that lays on floor and attached to your SUV, would be fun to go on such an adventurous trip!
I may plan to drive Blr-Delhi on Oct 18/19 but may drive via NH4 since I have heard Nagpur route is really bad! I wish I could have gone for such a wonderful trip!
I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip and all the places on the list, we shall wait for the trip and then the pictures!
Drive safe!
Had missed your post somehow. If you do decide to drive on 19th Oct and take NH7, let me know.

OT response: The utility of rooftop tents is limited in India, unlike in Africa bush country, say. I use Quechua tents (have a couple of them) that can be set-up in 30 secs, and dismantled and folded in a minute or so. They can be properly sealed, so less chance of insects and snakes coming in.

In elephant country, a rooftop tent won't save you - in fact would attract attention. In places such as Kumaon, there is no harm in camping on the ground. Worst case, one can sleep inside the vehicle - lots of space for that in a SUV.

Also, one can carry these light tents and set up camp somewhere else say on a hilltop not accessible by the vehicle. That is not possible in a rooftop tent.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th September 2012 at 08:34.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Yup, I guess you are talking about those 2seconds tents, that can be set up and removed real quick. We in a group carry a couple T2 tents from Quechua for big trails like KP, Kudremulh etc. sorry for a bit OT here.

All the luck for your trip, I will be travelling around that time but my plan seems to be taking a different shape, planning to leave by Oct 14/15 and it would be NH4, destination Gangotri/Yamunotri this time. I wish I could have joined a trip like the one you are going since I wont be able to get much adventurous on this chardham yaatra, let parents enjoy this time (I too have my hidden agenda, would love to drive and trek in mountains while they enjoy darshan), I will get adventurous some other time.

Last edited by Ketan : 5th September 2012 at 08:58.
Old 6th October 2012, 20:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to leave for Kumaon on 19th morning. But, seems I have to attend a workshop in Mumbai on 17th and 18th. I am wondering whether I should drive to Mumbai on 16th, and leave Mumbai on 18th night (stopover at Surat, say) or 19th early morning. Will get one more extra night in the mountains then. The route will be different - instead of Bangalore - Hyd - Nagpur - Allahabad - Bareilly - Kaladhungi, it will be via NH8 and Guj/Rajasthan/Delhi.

Only problem: I will end up staying 3 more days away from my daughter, who is pretty attached to me. Original plan was to drop my wife and daughter at the airport on 19th morning (they are flying to Kolkata for the Pujas) and then proceed on NH7 and spend the night at Nagpur. Let's see - haven't decided.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:40   #21

Awaiting your travelogue specially since planning to do the same route around last week of December (from Delhi onwards)
Your account with the fortuner and great snaps from able hands should be delightful
Nevertheless have to fix up the plan now and the main issue is fixing the accomodation could you share some specifics and experience around places you stayed
Was planning on FRC Sitabani but a previous encounter with FRC wasnt greater (far more basic than acceptable) So probably will have to reconcile for one of the commercial places around pangot (Have been to the 'tals' area quite often so atleast a new scenery (and its roughly the right distance from delhi for a single driver)
Then is the binsar kmvn - have stayed there earlier so thats a bummer but then the place is neat
And finally Munisiyari which is a toss up between the Panchchuli / munsiyari KMVN (looks dingy) and the place called Wayfarer
So thats where things are some green signal and with bookings done would have things all set
Would appreciate your inputs on the accomodation specially the touchy feely stuff like how clean and comfortable with decent ammenities or non these places are

Ofcourse the other question is whether Corolla Altis is upto the trip - am quite confident of that atleast as long as there are no spur of the moment chicken cravings from the next village
Does the trip need a Foruner - ofcourse it does but then that is the topic for another discussion
Old 11th January 2013, 12:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

A Thank You to all the folks who had provided their inputs.

Travelogue has started here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-roadtrip.html

It has been slow going due to tons of work, but should pick up momentum soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks