Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 09:22   #31
BANNED

re: The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!

Yes, the alignment is the easiest when done parallel to existing highways. The family bastions just happen to be on the route. Fortuitous indeed. Point 4 above covers Azamgarh. Ballia can link to Nepal easily. What to me be the biggest block in the project is the bridge of the Ganges.

What is intriguing is there is no talk of what is arguably the worst connected region of UP, namely Panchnaad. There was talk of opening it up a few months ago, but then deadly silence.

Also, may I ask, when will the first section of the GQ to be started - NH 25 Lucknow-Kanpur be finished, if ever. Also, what is being done about grossly overladen (4x or so) trucks transporting (mostly illegally quarried) maurang (coarse sand). They are ruining the Kanpur-Lucknow (Lko-CNB is far less potholed) highway and many others incl. the recent collapse on a span on the Yamuna Bridge at Hamirpur

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd November 2014 at 09:26.
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:48   #32
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Thread moved to Route / Travel Queries.
Old 3rd November 2014, 15:51   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
This appears to be a brownfield project considering that it involves sections of various NHs. For the same reason, the implementing agency must be NHAI.
Am I right?

Taj Expressway and Mumbai-Pune expressway were greenfield projects implemented by the state govts. without any involvement of centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onkar1710 View Post
Greetings of the day!

1. The Agra Lucknow expressway is a green field project and shall be a boon to the entire state and beyond,on both ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, the alignment is the easiest when done parallel to existing highways. The family bastions just happen to be on the route. Fortuitous indeed. Point 4 above covers Azamgarh. Ballia can link to Nepal easily. What to me be the biggest block in the project is the bridge of the Ganges.

What is intriguing is there is no talk of what is arguably the worst connected region of UP, namely Panchnaad. There was talk of opening it up a few months ago, but then deadly silence.

Also, may I ask, when will the first section of the GQ to be started - NH 25 Lucknow-Kanpur be finished, if ever. Also, what is being done about grossly overladen (4x or so) trucks transporting (mostly illegally quarried) maurang (coarse sand). They are ruining the Kanpur-Lucknow (Lko-CNB is far less potholed) highway and many others incl. the recent collapse on a span on the Yamuna Bridge at Hamirpur
Some more info from ET.

It indeed seems like a green field project.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...gra-expressway

Some highlights from the report -
Quote:
Length - 302kms
Width - 110m, 6 laned, access controlled
Total cost - 15,000 crore (11,526 crore for construction, rest land acquitition)
2300/3100 (75%) hectares of land has already been acquired
Travel time - less than four hours
Via - Etawah, Mainpuri, Kannauj, Kanpur
ETA - To be completed in 3 years

Contracts awarded to
Lucknow to Unnao - L&T
Unnao to Kannauj - Afcons Infrastructure
Kannauj to Etawah - Nagarjuna Construction Company
Etawah to Firozabad - Afcons Infrastructure
Firozabad to Agra - PNC Infratech
The alignment is most interesting. With Unnao and Kanpur thrown into the mix, seems they are trying to improve Kanpur-Lucknow connectivity also with this. I just plotted the places mentioned without overlapping any of the existing highways and this is what I came up with.

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-highway.png

Like Prof has already mentioned several times earlier, there must be a plan for a new bridge somewhere within the blue box. OR, an upgrade planned of either bridges on its either sides.

ETA of 3 years is encouraging if then manage to meet it!
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I just plotted the places mentioned without overlapping any of the existing highways and this is what I came up with.
Well then there's not really much that can alleviate the Firozabad/Shikhohabad mess on AH1, because if one were to try to avoid this on way to Kanpur using the new alignment, one would inadvertently end up doing more than a dog's leg - more time , more fuel.

OT:
Wonder when & if the authorities will think of constructing an elevated corridor on AH1 at Firozabad/Shikohabad on the lines of the AH1 stretch at Kanpur.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2014, 16:12   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Well then there's not really much that can alleviate the Firozabad/Shikhohabad mess on AH1, because if one were to try to avoid this on way to Kanpur using the new alignment, one would inadvertently end up doing more than a dog's leg - more time , more fuel.

OT:
Wonder when & if the authorities will think of constructing an elevated corridor on AH1 at Firozabad/Shikohabad on the lines of the AH1 stretch at Kanpur.
That would indeed be lovely. After the fantastic YEW nothing hits you harder than this mess. Even Agra is relatively clean compared to this. There are already a few flyovers - but they are over the railway crossings I suppose. In fact, if an elevated corridor is not a possibility, they could even bypass it completely like Allahabad.

Lets see what finally materializes. But I do secretly hope that this bottleneck is somehow taken care of in the scheme of things.
Old 4th November 2014, 11:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just plotted the places mentioned without overlapping any of the existing highways and this is what I came up with
Apologies gents. That wasn't the best guess. I missed adding Etawah. This is what it look like now.

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-highway1.png

Thinking out aloud, an alignment along the blue line would have saved some more distance and reduced the travel time further. But then it would have bypassed Netaji's bastions.

Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 12:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies gents. That wasn't the best guess. I missed adding Etawah. This is what it look like now.

Attachment 1305281

Thinking out aloud, an alignment along the blue line would have saved some more distance and reduced the travel time further. But then it would have bypassed Netaji's bastions.

Your first alignment is more accurate. Just bring it South by 30 kms.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...514413&page=13

Agra - 0 km

Firozabad (Vill Gurha) - 53.5 km

Etawah (Vill Moonj) - 115.5 km

Kannauj (Vill Narmau) - 172.5 km

Unnao (Vill Neval) - 236.5 km

Lucknow - 302.2 km

ALE will not touch Unnao.

Can we request you to use your expertise and draw another map please.

Last edited by skdking : 4th November 2014 at 12:45.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 12:51   #38
BHPian

Hi

Just checked the detail with IFCONs (some relative) The Expressway do not overlap NH-2 anywhere but do align with some state highways.
It starts from Yamuna Expressway, which is under UP Expressway Industrial Authority and no need to touch NH-2 till Lucknow.

Agra-Firozabad section may change its alignment due to land acquisition delays.

Kolkata bound people change at Etawah and catch upcoming 6 lane Etawah-Kanpur Road, which would be equally good but not a expressway.

Last edited by Wanderers : 4th November 2014 at 12:54.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 13:17   #39
BANNED

Pretty confusing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3571502
and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3570899

are both interesting. I also heard somewhere that it may link directly to the YE.

I wish the latter (Etawah avoiding the Ferozabad nightmare).

As for the bridge if they want a limited access highway then a new bridge on the Ganges may have to be constructed. However, it is possible they may use an existing bridge for some time.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 16:59   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Your first alignment is more accurate. Just bring it South by 30 kms.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...514413&page=13

Agra - 0 km
Firozabad (Vill Gurha) - 53.5 km
Etawah (Vill Moonj) - 115.5 km
Kannauj (Vill Narmau) - 172.5 km
Unnao (Vill Neval) - 236.5 km
Lucknow - 302.2 km
ALE will not touch Unnao.

Can we request you to use your expertise and draw another map please.
Thanks for the link, clears up a lot of things! And no expertise there, was kinda free in office so just joined the dots on the map.

Quote:
Pretty confusing.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3571502
and

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3570899

are both interesting. I also heard somewhere that it may link directly to the YE.

I wish the latter (Etawah avoiding the Ferozabad nightmare).

As for the bridge if they want a limited access highway then a new bridge on the Ganges may have to be constructed. However, it is possible they may use an existing bridge for some time.
Here is another version based on skdking's post. Google could not find the village 'Neval'. I do see a Purey Neval (Gonda) but that is further away from Lucknow.

Interestingly, as per this version, the expressway may bypass the troublesome Firozabad/Shikohabad stretches. The other good thing is, it seems to pick up from where YEW ends!

The Agra - Lucknow Expressway!-highway3.png
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 18:58   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the link, clears up a lot of things! And no expertise there, was kinda free in office so just joined the dots on the map.

..... it seems to pick up from where YEW ends!

Attachment 1305393
Nice effort.

BTW Gurha location is also not clear in Google Maps.

However this is the best possible estimate.

Thanks.

Last edited by skdking : 4th November 2014 at 18:59.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 10:22   #42
BANNED

Soome clarity today. There will be an eight lane bridge over the Ganges, at Behrampur (Bilhaur) to be built by Afcons, the contractor in whose part the river crossing falls.

Inauguration postponed by two days to the 23rd (not very auspicious)!.

Also, it seems that Land Acquisition is already being opposed by Etawah formers!

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th November 2014 at 10:23.
Old 16th November 2014, 15:00   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, it seems that Land Acquisition is already being opposed by Etawah formers!
Already? Mayawati ran into this too when YEW was being constructed. She just bulldozed her way through the opposition.

Wonder what Netaji will do? It also depends on how deep the pockets of the concessionaires are.
Old 16th November 2014, 16:25   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Wonder what Netaji will do? It also depends on how deep the pockets of the concessionaires are.
With the concession being split into five it may be marginal to start with. Also, how much has Netaji pocketed will decide the paying capacity. Even one segment stuck, and the whole edifice comes unstuck.
Old 23rd November 2014, 13:28   #45
BANNED

The E'way has been formally launched today. Now two issues:

1. It will benefit the farmers - I hope this does not mean tractors will be allowed on it.
2. Speeds of 120-150kph - I am sceptical, 120 is fine but 150!!

Let us watch and wait - Parkalaam as Kamraj used to say!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks