Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 19:54   #1
BHPian

Best Route from Cochin to Rajakumari (Idukki)

Hi Friends,

I am planning for a small trip next week with my family. Starting Point would be Tripunithura, Ernakulam and the destination is Rajakumari, Idukki. My drive would be VW Polo TDi and I will be travelling with kids.

The route till Kothamangalam is somewhat familiar to me. So I am planning to stick to the usual route.
i.e. Tripunithura --> Puthenkurish --> Kolencherry --> Muvattupuzha --> Kothamangalam

After Kothamangalam, I believe the only option to Rajakumari is via Adimaly. And for that I believe it is wise to proceed through NH-85. i.e. via Nellimattam --> Thalakode --> Neriamangalam --> Adimaly.

So till Adimaly, it is NH-85. My confusion starts after Adimaly. Google Maps shows me the Adimaly - Rajakad Route i.e. SH-19 via Adimaly --> Vellathooval --> Panniyarukutty --> Rajakad --> Rajakumari. I do not have any experience in this route yet. Anybody knows the current road condition? I would like to avoid bad road for the sake of my VW Polo's bottom.

When I checked with some of my friends, they are asking me to avoid this route and suggested one via Munnar. The reason they told is the bad condition of SH-19 between Adimaly and Rajakad.

So the second option is via Munnar as Adimaly --> Pallivasal --> Munnar --> Devikulam --> Poopara --> through SH-19 to my destination.
But this option is ~ 30KM more than the first one.

So basically I need your help in choosing the route from Adimaly to Rajakumari; SH-19 or NH-85. The main consideration is less bottoming out for my VW Polo.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:08   #2
anb
BHPian

re: Best Route from Cochin to Rajakumari (Idukki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Hi Friends,

The route till Kothamangalam is somewhat familiar to me. So I am planning to stick to the usual route.
i.e. Tripunithura --> Puthenkurish --> Kolencherry --> Muvattupuzha --> Kothamangalam

After Kothamangalam, I believe the only option to Rajakumari is via Adimaly. And for that I believe it is wise to proceed through NH-85. i.e. via Nellimattam --> Thalakode --> Neriamangalam --> Adimaly.
You are right. Going via Adimaly is the only option.
Quote:

When I checked with some of my friends, they are asking me to avoid this route and suggested one via Munnar. The reason they told is the bad condition of SH-19 between Adimaly and Rajakad.

So the second option is via Munnar as Adimaly --> Pallivasal --> Munnar --> Devikulam --> Poopara --> through SH-19 to my destination.
But this option is ~ 30KM more than the first one.
Your friends are right. The Munnar --Devikulam-- Poopara road is very narrow and in bad condtition. It's best to avoid that route. I have no idea about Adimaly --> Vellathooval --> Panniyarukutty --> Rajakad --> Rajakumari route. I think other route will be any-day better than Poopara route.
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:00   #3
BHPian

Thanks anb. I am getting similar responses about the route via Munnar.
So it seems my option limited to SH-19, Adimaly - Rajakad route. Could someone please help me with the current status of this route?
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is another route from Adimaly to Rajakkad which goes via Anachal - Kunjithanny. The last time I travelled that way (probably 7-8 months ago) the local advice I received at Adimaly was to take this road instead of the one via Vellathooval since the latter was reportedly in bad shape. That road was pretty decent then except for minor potholes here and there - not sure what the state is post-monsoon. Better to enquire with someone at Adimaly and decide.

The only catch with this road is that some of the slopes you'd encounter are quite steep, so if you aren't used to hill driving it might scare you a bit. (Not that it can't be handled by a sedan - I saw local private buses handle these stretches with ease).

To get to this road you have to travel about 7 or 8 kms towards Munnar on the NH and then take a deviation to the right to Anachal / Kunjithanny. (Forgot the name of the place where you need to take that right turn, please ask someone at Adimaly).
kala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 17:38   #5
BHPian

Re: Best Route from Cochin to Rajakumari (Idukki)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
(Forgot the name of the place where you need to take that right turn, please ask someone at Adimaly).
this place is called Iruttukanam.

Please find below the G Map for this route.
Kochi – Madurai - Tondi Point Hwy/NH 85 to Rajakumari, Kerala 685619 - Google Maps
pgginish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

What about the route through Muvattupuzha-Vannappuram-Chelachuvadu as shown in Google Maps:
MC Rd/SH 1 to Rajakumari, Kerala 685619 - Google Maps
deepclutch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
There is another route from Adimaly to Rajakkad which goes via Anachal - Kunjithanny.
The only catch with this road is that some of the slopes you'd encounter are quite steep, so if you aren't used to hill driving it might scare you a bit. (Not that it can't be handled by a sedan - I saw local private buses handle these stretches with ease).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
this place is called Iruttukanam.

Please find below the G Map for this route.
This seems interesting. So we can hope it to be better than the SH-19. But one quick question. Is this road too narrow? Since this is not an SH/NH and also I heard that even SH-19 is narrow here and there, would you be able to compare this with SH-19? And what do you think about a VW Polo TDi with 5 adults on board along this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
What about the route through Muvattupuzha-Vannappuram-Chelachuvadu as shown in Google Maps:
MC Rd/SH 1 to Rajakumari, Kerala 685619 - Google Maps
This is also a nice option. Do you have any idea about the road condition?
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
And what do you think about a VW Polo TDi with 5 adults on board along this route.
You can easily manage in this route.

Quote:
I have tried this route once. Only problem for this road is too steep between Vannappuram and Chelachuvadu. (driving with 5 adults on board is doubtful)
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have travelled till Vannappuram but that was a year back. road condition was good. KSRTC Eranakulam depot started some Idukki services through this route(Chelachuvadu). however, No Idea about the condition after Vannappuram.
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This seems interesting. So we can hope it to be better than the SH-19. But one quick question. Is this road too narrow? Since this is not an SH/NH and also I heard that even SH-19 is narrow here and there, would you be able to compare this with SH-19? And what do you think about a VW Polo TDi with 5 adults on board along this route.
Well it is somewhat narrow at some spots, but can't recall any place where there wasn't enough space for two vehicles to cross each other. Can't compare with SH19 because the last time I travelled on that road was probably 2 or 3 decades ago and so can't recall how wide it was..

The steep sections shouldn't be a problem for a VW Polo with 5 adults. I was in a Figo TDCI with 4 adults and a child and could manage them pretty comfortably.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks