Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 18:35   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Manali

Hi all,
Myself and my friends are planning a road trip to manali this december.
I know it is too early to ask for advice on routes but planning early is everything right?
Help is needed on the following headings
Best/safest route
stay options on the way(sight seeing spots prefered)
stay options in manali
Checks to be done for the car(Ritz vdi(non abs))

@ mods: found threads about chennai delhi only. No threads existed about chennai manali route info/travel. Please merge if needed.

Thanks,
Anand
Old 11th September 2012, 20:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267
Hi all,
I know it is too early to ask for advice on routes but planning early is everything right?
Best/safest route
stay options in manali

@ mods: found threads about chennai delhi only. No threads existed about chennai manali route info/travel. Please merge if needed.

Thanks,
Anand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267
Hi all,
Best/safest route
stay options in manali

Thanks,
Anand
Chennai-Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai-Surat-Baroda-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Jaipur-Delhi-Manali

Day1: Chennai Pune
Day 2: Pune Ahmedabad
Day3: AMD-Delhi
Day4: Delhi-Chandigarh
Day5: Chandigarh-Manali

Delhi-Manali is a very long drive and a major part of it is on winding mountain roads and if ypu travel after dark you would miss out on the sights,hence a stay in chandigarh.If you are fast then maybe you can shave off a day by doing chennai mumbai in one day,mumbai jaipur in one day,jaipur chandigarh in one day but if its going to be real tough.

Plenty of hotels to stay enroute dependibg on budget.Pune has Sadanand Regency,Ginger.Mumbai has Hotel Fountain at Ghodbunder,Ahmedabad has many hotels suiting all kinds of budgets,himatnagar has hotel landmark.Manali again has hotels depeding on budget.December is going to be terribly cold in manali so carry woollens.Rohtang would be closed.Instead if you want to split up your drive I would suggest you do Delhi Shimla in one day and then do shimla manali both are approx 7hr drives.Gives you more time to adjust on the winding roads and you would be able to take it easy.On your return do manali chandigarh in one day and then chandigarh delhi in one day.Keep drinking plenty of apple juice to prevent from throwing up on the hill roads
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 00:24   #3
BHPian

re: Chennai to Manali

I did from ramnad (near rameswaram) to Leh in June and returned via Manali. You can do it by the following route.

Day 1: Chennai - Bangalore - Kolhapur
Day 2: Kolhapur - pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad
Day 3: Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Delhi
Day 4: Delhi - Manali

Totally around 3700 kms one way. It is tough but can be done if you share the drive. By the way, I did solo.

Last edited by Harshavarthan : 12th September 2012 at 00:27.
Harshavarthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 01:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan
I did from ramnad (near rameswaram) to Leh in June and returned via Manali. You can do it by the following route.

Day 1: Chennai - Bangalore - Kolhapur
Day 2: Kolhapur - pune - Mumbai - Ahmedabad
Day 3: Ahmedabad - Udaipur - Jaipur - Delhi
Day 4: Delhi - Manali

Totally around 3700 kms one way. It is tough but can be done if you share the drive. By the way, I did solo.
Thanks! And you did the trip solo?! Which car did you take for the trip? How are the road conditions in the route you took? Good enough for a hatch back?
Btw. All 4 of us will be sharing the driving so I dont think we would have a problem there.
The route you mentioned, is it safe for night travel?

Last edited by Anandv267 : 12th September 2012 at 01:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks