Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:04   #1
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Planning 7 day trip : Ahmedabad - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Dwarka

Planning a Gujarat trip in the week after Diwali. Read up threads from ramkya1, hotstuff among others and also posted a couple of queries on the Mum-Ahemdabad route thread. Traced quite a few of HVK sir's posts as well. But I still have lots of doubts as this is my first real venture outside the Maharashtra state. The doubts are more about trip rather than the route.

So, here are the details.
Tentative Dates : Sun-18th Nov till Sat-24th Nov
Who : Myself + wife + 2 kids (8 & 5 years old) + parents (71 & 63 years old)
Vehicle : Mahindra XUV5OO self driven

Tentative plan
Day 1 (Sun-18-Nov) -> Start early morning from Mumbai and reach Ahmedabad by evening. Possibly cover Calico Museum, Paldi Kite Museum in the evening. Stay at Ahmedabad.

Day 2 (Mon-19-Nov) -> Ahmedabad city tour (Visit HathiSingh Jain Temple, Swaminarayan temple, Jama Masjid, Sidi-sayeed mosque, Dada Harir vav, Jhulta Minar, Tankshal ni haveli, Badshah's Hazira, Calico Museum, Paldi Kite Museum, and drive-by -> ISKON temple, Kankaria Lake, IIM-Ahmedabad, City-walls and gates). Stay at Ahmedabad

Day 3 (Tue-20-Nov) -> Day trip to Adlaj (Adlaj ni vav) -> Modhera (sun temple) -> Patan (Rani ni vav, Patan Patola Salvi family, Sahasraling Talav) -> Sidhpur (Rudra temple remains, Bohra community houses) -> Gandhinagar (Akshardham temple, Sabarmati Ashram). Stay at Ahmedabad.

Day 4 (Wed-21-Nov) -> Start early morning from Ahmedabad and reach Sasan Gir by afternoon. Visit Somnath temple post lunch. Hang around for light and sound show and then travel back to Sasan Gir. Stay at Sasan Gir (Need to book Sinh Sadan - Forest Dept guest house)

Day 5 (Thu-22-Nov) -> Lion safari (morning and evening) at Gir. Stay at Sasan Gir OR drive to Porbandar->Dwarka (4 hrs) and stay at Dwarka (or Porbandar?). En-route visit Kirti Mandir (the house and the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi and now a museum), Sudama Mandir, Ballak Tirth and Triven Sangham.

Day 6 (Fri-23-Nov) -> Dwarkanath temple and Bet Dwarka. Post lunch drive to Ahmedabad (Dwarka-Jamnagar-Rajkot-Ahmedabad 440KM ~7.25 hrs). Stay at Ahmedabad.

Day 7 (Sat-24-Nov) -> If possible short trip to Lothal in the morning (80km away) OR spend 2 hours for shopping. Then drive back to Mumbai. Reach Mumbai by 9PM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Given that 3 days back, I did not know anything about Gujarat (from a tourist perspective), this is all I could research and plan.

So here are the doubts:
1. Is this plan feasible/doable? Does it cram too many things in any day? How would you recommend tweaking the plan?

2. Day-2 - Ahmedabad city tour -> How is the parking situation at most of the attractions listed? I am in mood of taking our vehicle in the city, BUT I am also OK with a auto-rickshaw/taxi option OR even a city-tour bus. Any suggestions?

3. Given that Ahmedabad would be my base for 3 days at the start, should I stay in the Ahmedabad city or outskirts?

4. Day-3 -> Adlaj-Medhera-Patan-Sidhpur-Gandhinagar -> Is this doable in a day if we start at 9AM? I don't want to miss Gandhinagar/Sabarmathi Ashram. So should I cover it first and then take a chance with missing Sidhpur at the end of the day?

5. Is there a way to pre-book the safari(s) at Gir?

6. Heard that Sinh Sadan booking (@Sasan Gir) is a pain. Any pointers to ease the pain?

7. One safari is I belive 2-3 hours. Should we do 2 in the same day? The early morning one and the 3 O'clock one?

8. Day 5 -> After doing 2 safaris in Gypsies (which won't be too comfortable), should we stay back in Sasan Gir that night OR head for Dwarka around 7PM? Want to maximize the time at Dwarka and Bet-Dwarka the next day. So wondering if reaching Dwarka or half-way to Porbunder makes sense and more importantly - is it doable?

9. A related problem to the above question: If I start for Porbundar/Dwarka at 7pm on day-5, that would rule out Kirti Mandir @Porbunder or any other on-the-way sight-seeing.

10. Day 6 -> I am assuming that around 3 hours would be enough for Dwarka and Bet-Dwarka. Hopefully we would be able to start towards Ahmedabad around 1 and reach by 9-10PM (after lunch and dinner halts).
Is this doable?

11. Day-6 -> Google gave Dwarka-Jamnagar-Rajkot-Ahmedabad 440KM as one of the routes. Is this the fastest route?

12. If we stay in Sasan Gir on Day-5 night, it would mean starting early (let's say 6am) on Day-6 morning towads Dwarka. Its a 4 hour drive and then after covering Dwarka, I need to drve back to Ahmedabad (another 7-7.5 hours). Total 11-12 hours of ACTUAL driving. I have a nagging doubt that it would be too much for me as a driver and the parents. Any opinions and alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
SDP

Edit: One more question:
13. Is there a entry restriction in terms of reaching Sasan Gir late in the night?

Last edited by SDP : 3rd October 2012 at 20:07.
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Planning: 7 day trip to Ahmedabad-Sasan Gir-Somnath-Dwarka: Lots of help needed

I just came back from Ahemdabad yesterday night. I could visit only a couple of places there in one day: Akshar Dham and Aadlaj nu vav.

At Akshardham, parking is plenty and organised. If you halt there for more than six hours, only then you have to pay Rs.30 for parking, else its free. (I did not have to pay anything!)
Adlaj nu vav: The area is like any other old city. Parking again is free. Infact I did not find any specific parking lot. Just parked the car at the entrance. Though it is a good place to vist and the carving are quite nice, I for some reason did not enjoy the place too much.

Apart from this, I found the city very neat and clean. The traffic is also organised and unlike Pune, people do not cut lanes.

On a lighter note: keep sufficient money handy. There are a lot of toll booths! And they really take a toll on the budget! I am in process of colating all the Toll amounts which I paid between Pune and Ahemdabad. Will post it over the weekend.

All the best for your journey!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 06:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT
I just came back from Ahemdabad yesterday night. I could visit only a couple of places there in one day: Akshar Dham and Aadlaj nu vav.
!
Please check before you plan anything for Gir because as per the SC order all reserves have been closed for public.I am not sure if Gir is open.So check if they are open.

Also if you leave Mumbai early morning you would be in Ahmedabad for lunch and not in the evening.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 09:22   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Planning: 7 day trip to Ahmedabad-Sasan Gir-Somnath-Dwarka: Lots of help needed

Quote:
So here are the doubts:
1. Is this plan feasible/doable? Does it cram too many things in any day? How would you recommend tweaking the plan?
SDP , you may refere our TL which is smilar to our trip.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...3500kms-4.html

Mumbai - Ahmd usually takes 5 to 5.5 hrs. The only bottleneck is at bharuch.

Stay : I would suggest Hotel Ginger. Its centrally located and most happening place too.

Parking : We didnt face much of an issue any where.

Gir to Dwarka : Would require at least 6 - 7 hrs. Better start early morning.

Point 10 & 11 : The roads are awesome and its easily doable even you start by 2. You will comfortably reach Ahmd by 10.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2012 at 10:30. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 09:40   #5
BHPian

I don't think Mum-Ahd would be doable in 5/5.5 hours at all. The distance is around 600 kms approx and it'd be difficult to even attempt it. Typical average speeds on these highways (because of the toll and traffic) would be around 60 kmph approx
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 09:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc
I don't think Mum-Ahd would be doable in 5/5.5 hours at all. The distance is around 600 kms approx and it'd be difficult to even attempt it. Typical average speeds on these highways (because of the toll and traffic) would be around 60 kmph approx
True Ghodbunder to end of Baroda Expressway at Ahmedabad is a 7hr drive
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 10:37   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

5. Is there a way to pre-book the safari(s) at Gir?
Yes you can pre book the safaris but GIR is still not tech savvy so you have to call them up, fax the details etc.

Quote:
6. Heard that Sinh Sadan booking (@Sasan Gir) is a pain. Any pointers to ease the pain?
Sinh Sadan gets booked quickly and post diwali season, it would be filled with tourists. Here's the phone number and fax no for bookings
Phone: 02877285540
Fax: 02877285641

Quote:
7. One safari is I belive 2-3 hours. Should we do 2 in the same day? The early morning one and the 3 O'clock one?
Since no one can guarantee big cat's sighting, more the number of safaris the better the chances. Morning safari i guess is for around 4 hours. 6AM-10AM

Quote:
8. Day 5 -> After doing 2 safaris in Gypsies (which won't be too comfortable), should we stay back in Sasan Gir that night OR head for Dwarka around 7PM? Want to maximize the time at Dwarka and Bet-Dwarka the next day. So wondering if reaching Dwarka or half-way to Porbunder makes sense and more importantly - is it doable?
Technically yes but would be very hectic. You are on a holiday
dave7377 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:59   #8
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: Planning 7 day trip : Ahmedabad - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Dwarka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
On a lighter note: keep sufficient money handy. There are a lot of toll booths! And they really take a toll on the budget!..
Thanks ObsessedByFiat! Heard that Gujarat highways are fantastic. So absolutely won't mind the toll. In Mumbai/Thane, we pay toll for potholes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Please check before you plan anything for Gir because as per the SC order all reserves have been closed for public.I am not sure if Gir is open.So check if they are open.

Also if you leave Mumbai early morning you would be in Ahmedabad for lunch and not in the evening.
Thanks ranjit! Dug out news stories about the SC order and it seems its very specific to tiger safaris. Anyways, planning to call Sinh Sadan and get it straight from the lion's mouth .. I mean horse's mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
SDP , you may refere our TL which is smilar to our trip.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...3500kms-4.html
Thanks v&v. Fantastic travelogue by the way. Never knew there is a 'marine' park!

Quote:
Stay : I would suggest Hotel Ginger. Its centrally located and most happening place too.
Isn't Ginger typically for business travelers? Did you find it cozy?

Quote:
Gir to Dwarka : Would require at least 6 - 7 hrs. Better start early morning.
That's interesting. Even your log mentions about bad roads on the coastal route of Gir/Varaval-Porbunder-Dwarka. Now I am confused as GoogleMaps seems to suggest that the road is doable in about 4 hours. Any idea about current road conditions? The other route through Junagadh looks lenghty. Let me do some more research. Thanks for all the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
Yes you can pre book the safaris but GIR is still not tech savvy so you have to call them up, fax the details etc.
Technically yes but would be very hectic. You are on a holiday
Thanks dave7377 for the details and the tips! Love your "You are on a holiday" comment. Sometimes we do forget the basic point about the vacation is to relax and have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
My inputs for some of your questions. Hope they help and hope you have a great vacation in Gujarat and carry back fond memories of Khushboo Gujarat ki
Thanks for the help! Would try to enjoy lesser spots more thoroughly rather than doing touch-and-go for a lot of spots. Would definitely spend some good time at Akshardham. Would most likely cover Akshardham on day-1 evening itself. Planning a drive-by the road where the Gandhinagar Vidhan-sabha is. Besides Akshardham, would you recommend anything else worth stopping-by in the capital city?

Thank you all for the useful tips and details!

Last edited by SDP : 5th October 2012 at 22:24.
Old 6th October 2012, 12:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the help! Would try to enjoy lesser spots more thoroughly rather than doing touch-and-go for a lot of spots. Would definitely spend some good time at Akshardham. Would most likely cover Akshardham on day-1 evening itself. Planning a drive-by the road where the Gandhinagar Vidhan-sabha is. Besides Akshardham, would you recommend anything else worth stopping-by in the capital city?

Thank you all for the useful tips and details!
Akshardham temple timings are till 7.30 pm and exhibition timings (this is a must see) are till 6.00 pm. You will have to consider about 2 hours for the exhibition. Doing a backward calculation, you will have to reach Akshardham atleast by 3.00 pm so that you can take the tickets and join the que for the exhibition (normally not much que but being diwali holiday season, might have some rush). it takes about 40 min to reach Akshardham. So you will have to start by around 2.15 pm from Ahmedabad. Even if you reach Abad by around 1.00 pm, it might be quite a rush to make it to Akshardham the same day considering that your parents and little kids are along.

So you could consider spending Day 1 doing local sightseeing (IIM campus, ISKON temple, SG highway) and shopping (Law Garden). This will help you relax a bit and also shorten your spots for day 2. You could cover Akshardham on Day 3 (Note: Akshardham is closed on Mondays) when you can do Modhera-Patan-North Gujarat in the first half and on the way back, visit Akshardham (2nd half). Nothing else much to see in the Capital.

I dont know if you are aware of the Heritage Walk in Ahmedabad. (http://www.gujarattourism.com/showpa...&webpartid=917). This is a guided tour around parts of old Ahmedabad - very intersting and informative. The walk is from 8 am till 10.30 am. Some of the spots you mentioned for Day 2 will get covered during this walk and the remaining spots are in the vicinity. So may be you could do the Heritage Walk and then hire an auto and cover the remaining spots. You can easily find the route on google (just type Ahmedabad Heritage Walk in Google images). In the evening, you could visit Kankaria lake. Kids will love this place.

Time permitting, will also suggest you have lunch at Patang Hotel (I guess its the only revolving hotel in India). However you have to call them and reserve your table atleast 4-5 days in advance. If authentic gujarati cuisine interests you, you could consider a dinner at Vishala.
Sandy28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 13:16   #10
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks v&v. Fantastic travelogue by the way. Never knew there is a 'marine' park!
Thanks SDP. Try to do Narara if its open. Its simply awesome.

Quote:
Isn't Ginger typically for business travelers? Did you find it cozy?
Yup and very neat. The location too is awesome. Check online , you will get very good rate too. Also there are lots of restaurant around.

Quote:
That's interesting. Even your log mentions about bad roads on the coastal route of Gir/Varaval-Porbunder-Dwarka. Now I am confused as GoogleMaps seems to suggest that the road is doable in about 4 hours. Any idea about current road conditions? The other route through Junagadh looks lenghty. Let me do some more research. Thanks for all the help.
Our Dwarka - Gir drive was via Porbunder. Do visit Porbunder if time permits. its worth it. The roads had lots pot holes and some big craters too. You need to be care full while driving.
IMO there is a Bhpian from Veraval , he can give you the right update on this. I was told at Dwarka that going via Junagadh is faster than through Veraval at that time. Hope the roads have improved.

Last edited by v&v : 6th October 2012 at 13:19.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 20:45   #11
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....IMO there is a Bhpian from Veraval , he can give you the right update on this. I was told at Dwarka that going via Junagadh is faster than through Veraval at that time. Hope the roads have improved.
Thanks V&V! Would look out for the Veraval TBHPian. I remember seeing that location in one of the Gujarat travelogue threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy28 View Post
Akshardham temple timings are till 7.30 pm and exhibition timings (this is a must see) are till 6.00 pm. You will have to consider about 2 hours for the exhibition. ...
Even if you reach Abad by around 1.00 pm, it might be quite a rush to make it to Akshardham the same day considering that your parents and little kids are along.

So you could consider spending Day 1 doing local sightseeing (IIM campus, ISKON temple, SG highway) and shopping (Law Garden).
Note: Akshardham is closed on Mondays
I dont know if you are aware of the Heritage Walk in Ahmedabad. ....

Time permitting, will also suggest you have lunch at Patang Hotel (I guess its the only revolving hotel in India). However you have to call them and reserve your table atleast 4-5 days in advance. ...
Timings if Akshardham temple - time needed for doing justice to the exhibitions - Monday closed - shopping at Law Garden area - lunch at Patang hotel - Heritage walk! A whole bunch of very very important tips and recommendations. Thank you SO MUCH my friend!

I had read about Heritage Walk and I am still in two minds as it is a 2.5 hours affair. With kids and senior citizens, I might still do it and then drop off mid-way when the kids/parents get tired. Thanks again for all the help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Was speaking to a travel agent today and he highly recommended Kankaria lake for spending 3-4 hours ..let's say from 4pm till 8pm. He mentioned that it has been done up well, there is a mini-train, boating facility, laser-show and a zoo nearby. He said with kids and parents, we will enjoy it.

I have never really considered this place. Any opinions?

Last edited by SDP : 9th October 2012 at 20:46.
Old 10th October 2012, 00:29   #12
BHPian

SDP
Hi.There is a member at Veraval and I am sure of it.
In april when I drove around north west Gujarat the roads near Porbandar were being repaired so by now they should be OK.
I stayed at Veraval and found a neat clean place,opened last diwali, just before the fork which goes towards Somnath.
Regards
PS:In case you are a fan of sherbet,I am one,please do have it at Rajendra cold drink.Umpteen flavors served in soda.And if you like the typical Sindhi daal pakwan,do try at Laxmi.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 10:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning a Gujarat trip in the week after Diwali.
The week of Diwali is the worst time to travel in GJ because the entire GJ region is on holiday & travelling all over the State & RJ. I hope you are going only the week after Diwali week?

Quote:
Who : Myself + wife + 2 kids (8 & 5 years old) + parents (71 & 63 years old)
In my log books, I have taken note of those restaurants & places where you have decent clean toilets for the elderly & women folk. I did not find the quality of restaurants impressive in GJ.

Quote:
Tentative plan
Day 1 (Sun-18-Nov) -> Start early morning from Mumbai and reach Ahmedabad by evening. Possibly cover Calico Museum, Paldi Kite Museum in the evening. Stay at Ahmedabad.
Avoid the NH8 bypass in Ankleshwar-Bharuch, stick to the road through the towns and through the towns across River Narmada on the Golden Bridge. While coming back, stick to the left-most lane and take the closed bridge (which is open to light vehicles). Do not get stuck in the right-most lane which is choked with trucks who have to take the second bridge which is the only one open for them. No need to go into Bharuch & Ankleshwar town to take Golden Bridge while coming from the North side.

Take the Sardar Patel Ring Road exit from Baroada-Ahmedabad expressway in case your hotel/ place of stay is in the north or west side of town, better than going through the old bypass route. If doing so, watch out for the penultimate exit marked for either Sarkhej/Rajkot (to go towards Satellite town or Iskcon Mall side) or Himmatnagar/Udaipur (to go towards Gandhinagar side)

Quote:
Day 4 (Wed-21-Nov) -> Start early morning from Ahmedabad and reach Sasan Gir by afternoon. Visit Somnath temple post lunch. Hang around for light and sound show and then travel back to Sasan Gir. Stay at Sasan Gir (Need to book Sinh Sadan - Forest Dept guest house)
No point in going to and fro. Best is to go direct to Veraval, finish off darshan at Somnath & then come to Sasan Gir.

In case you are going first to Sasan Gir, take the road out from Junagadh itself.

Quote:
Day 6 (Fri-23-Nov) -> Dwarkanath temple and Bet Dwarka. Post lunch drive to Ahmedabad (Dwarka-Jamnagar-Rajkot-Ahmedabad 440KM ~7.25 hrs). Stay at Ahmedabad.

Quite a tough day. Darshan at Dwarakdish Temple, Rukmini Devi Temple and also maybe a darshan at the jyotirlinga temple of Nageshwar near Mitapur, en route Bet Dwaraka. Bet Dwaraka boat ride & back itself will take you almost 3-4 hours. Take the Jamnagar-Dhrol-Rajkot rad, it is better than the route via Kalavad.Do not miss the Rig Road around Rajkot to avoid city & go on to Ahmedabad.

Quote:
Day 7 (Sat-24-Nov) -> If possible short trip to Lothal in the morning (80km away) OR spend 2 hours for shopping. Then drive back to Mumbai. Reach Mumbai by 9PM.
Lothal is best done during your Dwaraka-Ahmedabad drive since it is off Bagodara, and coming back from A'bad would be a waste of time. I would suggest that you stay back in Rajkot the previous night (instead of rushing to A'bad), then visiting LOthal next morning. You may also want to consider the shorter rote to Baroda via Vataman, Borsad & Vasad.

Quote:
9. A related problem to the above question: If I start for Porbundar/Dwarka at 7pm on day-5, that would rule out Kirti Mandir @Porbunder or any other on-the-way sight-seeing.
AFAIK, the Kirti Mandir is not open after 6 pm.

Quote:
10. Day 6 -> I am assuming that around 3 hours would be enough for Dwarka and Bet-Dwarka. Hopefully we would be able to start towards Ahmedabad around 1 and reach by 9-10PM (after lunch and dinner halts).
Is this doable?

3 hours is not enough for Dwaraka/Bet Dwaraka. And if the Dwarakadish Temple is crowded, you will be delayed there itself. Please see my comments above, I do not think you will leave Dwaraka area before 2 or 3 pm at the earliest, assuming you get early morning darshan at Dwarakadish Temple (~6 am) and finish off the Bet Dwaraka visit also before 1 pm. Add extra hour for lunch.

Quote:
11. Day-6 -> Google gave Dwarka-Jamnagar-Rajkot-Ahmedabad 440KM as one of the routes. Is this the fastest route?
Dwaraka-Bhatia-Jamnagar-Dhrol-Rajkot-Limbdi-Bagodara-Ahmedabad. Fully 4-laned from Rajkot onwards. Avoids all towns, bypasses.

Quote:
13. Is there a entry restriction in terms of reaching Sasan Gir late in the night?
AFAIK, the roads to Sasan Gir are open 24x7
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 11:20   #14
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Day 6
Quite a tough day. Darshan at Dwarakdish Temple, Rukmini Devi Temple and also maybe a darshan at the jyotirlinga temple of Nageshwar near Mitapur, en route Bet Dwaraka. Bet Dwaraka boat ride & back itself will take you almost 3-4 hours. Take the Jamnagar-Dhrol-Rajkot rad, it is better than the route via Kalavad.Do not miss the Rig Road around Rajkot to avoid city & go on to Ahmedabad.
I would suggest that you stay back in Rajkot the previous night (instead of rushing to A'bad), then visiting LOthal next morning. You may also want to consider the shorter rote to Baroda via Vataman, Borsad & Vasad.
3 hours is not enough for Dwaraka/Bet Dwaraka. And if the Dwarakadish Temple is crowded, you will be delayed there itself. Please see my comments above, I do not think you will leave Dwaraka area before 2 or 3 pm at the earliest, assuming you get early morning darshan at Dwarakadish Temple (~6 am) and finish off the Bet Dwaraka visit also before 1 pm. Add extra hour for lunch.

Dwaraka-Bhatia-Jamnagar-Dhrol-Rajkot-Limbdi-Bagodara-Ahmedabad. Fully 4-laned from Rajkot onwards. Avoids all towns, bypasses.
Kumar Sir, thank you so much for all the tips and recommendations. I have downloaded your previous logs as well as some of the plans you had suggested to other TBHPians.

Day 6 is the tricky one where I am struggling.

From what you are suggesting, here's the new plan:
Day 5-> Stay back in Sasan Gir

Day 6-> Start early morning (~6am) from Sasan Gir and travel to Dwarka (through Porbunder). Cover Kirti mandir@Porbunder. Reach Dwarka by 11AM. Visit Dwarkadeesh and nearby temples. Early lunch at 12-12:30PM. Post lunch Bet-Dwaraka. Come back by 5PM. Drive to Rajkot. Possbily reach by 9PM. Stay in Rajkot.

Day 7-> Start from Rajkot and reach Mumbai. Possibly 12 hours of actual drive time. If we start at 8am in the morning from Rajkot, hopefully 10pm would be able to reach Thane/Mulund.

Does that sound OK?
Old 10th October 2012, 11:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kumar Sir, thank you so much for all the tips and recommendations. I have downloaded your previous logs as well as some of the plans you had suggested to other TBHPians.

Day 6 is the tricky one where I am struggling.

From what you are suggesting, here's the new plan:
Day 5-> Stay back in Sasan Gir

Day 6-> Start early morning (~6am) from Sasan Gir and travel to Dwarka (through Porbunder). Cover Kirti mandir@Porbunder. Reach Dwarka by 11AM. Visit Dwarkadeesh and nearby temples. Early lunch at 12-12:30PM. Post lunch Bet-Dwaraka. Come back by 5PM. Drive to Rajkot. Possbily reach by 9PM. Stay in Rajkot.

Day 7-> Start from Rajkot and reach Mumbai. Possibly 12 hours of actual drive time. If we start at 8am in the morning from Rajkot, hopefully 10pm would be able to reach Thane/Mulund.

Does that sound OK?
Day 6 looks cramped & tight. You will reach Dwaraka by 11 am only if the road to Porbander is in good shape (do we have any updates on its current condition?), you do not get delayed at Kirti Mandir - which is inside Porbander town, which has some congested streets, and also synchronise with the pooja timings at Dwarakadish Temple. You may end up leaving Dwaraka a little later than planned, but the road to Rajkot is good & can be done anytime. Maybe you can even stay in Jamnagar if it gets too late, it is only 1 hour before Rajkot.

Did you check out of Marine National Park is open - maybe Narara Island is open at this time?
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks