Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 22:45   #1
BHPian

Namakkal - From Tiruchirapalli or Coimbatore?

I plan to travel to Namakkal. The nearest airports are Coimbatore and Tiruchirapalli. Which road route should I opt for

1) Tiruchirapalli - Namakkal

or

2) Coimbatore - Namakkal

Although Tiruchirapalli is around 90Kms away from Namakkal but I am not sure of road conditions/traffic. I need a lesser time consuming road route. Based upon the chosen road route, I will book my air ticket.

Thanks..
Old 13th November 2012, 23:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Namakkal - From Tiruchirapalli or Coimbatore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
I plan to travel to Namakkal. The nearest airports are Coimbatore and Tiruchirapalli. Which road route should I opt for

1) Tiruchirapalli - Namakkal

or

2) Coimbatore - Namakkal

Although Tiruchirapalli is around 90Kms away from Namakkal but I am not sure of road conditions/traffic. I need a lesser time consuming road route. Based upon the chosen road route, I will book my air ticket.

Thanks..
AFAIK Trichy-Karur road is work in progress for widening and the conditions were pretty horrible.No recent update though.

The Thuraiyur route was reported to be good.Should take you around 1hr 45mins to 2hrs to cover this stretch.The Musiri route was last heard to be bad.Better to stick to Thuraiyur route from Trichy.CBE would be too far an option IMO.
Old 14th November 2012, 01:31   #3
BHPian

Trichy would be a right option.. less than 2hrs on road to Namakkal. Coimbatore is at least 70kms more.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:43   #4
BHPian

re: Namakkal - From Tiruchirapalli or Coimbatore?

Thanks Ranjitp1 and sbala ..
I am travelling mid Jan 2013.
A friend of friend suggested Coimbatore - Namakkal as road is good compared Trichy-Namakall .. when coming back from Namakall .. I don't want to get stuck in traffic or bad road and miss my flight.

Trichy - SH62 - thuriayur - Sh161 - Namakall would be faster ? any recent or frequent travellers ?
Old 14th November 2012, 13:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Namakkal - From Tiruchirapalli or Coimbatore?

the road from trichy to namakkal is a slow track but you can easily drive there in 1hr 30 mins ; I have taken buses when the roads were at their worst and even here,did the distance in 2hrs15mins.

As far as I know, Trichy airport does not offer great domestic connections - fly Mumbai-Coimbatore and then drive.
Old 14th November 2012, 16:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
any recent or frequent travellers ?
This thread would help you on the Namakkal to Trichy route updates. Some recent quotes :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Upto Namakkal/Trichy:
Started back around 5.50 to Trichy. We took the Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Trichy route. It took us around 2 hours. The roads are very good close to Namakkal, gets patchy to bad at times. It is especially bad at a couple of places which I believe are frequented by trucks that transport sand (?).

Return trip - alternate route from Mayuram-Kumbakkonam bye-pass-Thanjavur:
We spent around an hour here. Our trip to Namakkal again took us 2 hours (there was enough light, but the traffic was heavier than before).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I usually do this ~90 kms stretch in 80 to 90 minutes via thuraiyur route.
-Ravi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
I had travelled once between Salem-Vazapadi -Thuraiyur-Trichy route.
The roads seems to be average to good and lot a small towns slows you down.
The fastest route still is Trichy - Kannanur-Namakkal -Salem if you want to
avoid the sand lorries in the Musiri route.
On the Coimbatore to Namakkal route - I do not see you doing this in any less that 3 hrs. It also depends on which route (via Kangayam/Salem/Trichengode). Would you be taking a cab or someone driving you ?

If it is between the 2 options as above - Trichy would be my pick (if you could get a connection). Where are you coming in from ? Pune ?

Cheers,
Old 14th November 2012, 17:11   #7
BHPian

No I won't be driving .. it will be a cab dropping me to Namakkal.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:44   #8
BHPian

I am from that region. Believe me, CBE-NMKL is longest route than Trichy. NMKL-Trichy road is not that bad. NMKL to TRY is just 90 KMS, whereas NMKL to CBE is around 170 KMs.

Its all up to you now
Old 16th November 2012, 11:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ranjitp1 and sbala ..
I am travelling mid Jan 2013.
A friend of friend suggested Coimbatore - Namakkal as road is good compared Trichy-Namakall .. when coming back from Namakall .. I don't want to get stuck in traffic or bad road and miss my flight.

Trichy - SH62 - thuriayur - Sh161 - Namakall would be faster ? any recent or frequent travellers ?
Coimbatore-Namakkal is atleast 3 hrs. Trichy-Namakkal will be 2hours in a worst case.

Since you are hiring a cab he will in all probabilities drive you through the regular Musiri route, not the Thuraiyur route. The road conditions are not really bad, it's just that the road is narrow and winding which brings down the average speed.

What time is your flight back? I would suggest to plan your leaving time back to the airport with 2 hours for the travel and you should be fine.
Old 16th November 2012, 11:32   #10
BHPian

I plan to book flight tickets based upon the route selected. I will certainly not like to book very early morning flight. Seems like everyone is suggesting Trichy-Namakkal-Trichy..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks