Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 06:51   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Kaza route query

Been planning a white holiday since some time, finally got a 5 day window in December: 21st to 25th. The plan for now is to experience super- cold conditions and visit someplace that is accessible even during winters.
So the idea was look for a place that does not require crossing a high mountain pass, but still managing to consistently be above 3000m. The only place i could think of was Spiti.
The rough Plan:
Day 1: Gurgaon - Narkanda (early start so that we can do Hatu peak in afternoon)
Day 2: Narkanda - Nako - Tabo
Day 3: Tabo - Kaza and around -Pin valley- Tabo
Day 4: Tabo - Narkanda
Day 5: Narkanda - Gurgaon
The Machine: The safari 4x4 with a recently done suspension job.
Occupants: For now, myself and and an equally adventure-starved friend (I forced his boss to give him the leave, his boss is my client too). Plan to drive myself throughout. My friend will take the wheel only in case of emergency.
The Apprehensions:
a) Is there a chance of this route, or any part of being closed during late December. Has anyone done this route in winters?
b) I have assumed that since the roads are open, we would find places to stay. Hope i'm not asking for too much.
c) The weather table for Kaza on one travel website reads: December Max 9 deg. Min -15deg. snowfall 22cm. Its the last entry i'm worried about. How does 22cm of snowfall affect our trip?
d)Beyond Kalpa , all the way till tabo, apart from Nako, are there any other small detours that we should take? Possible to visit Shipki - La? I've read about permits for "Pooh - Khab - Tashiganj - Namgia - Dogri post - Shipki la". Possible in winters?
e)Where all are the Petrol pumps?
f) Remember Malling pass as a scary slush slide where i steered the sliding indica down the steep slope with zero traction. It was like snow-surfing. Last I read, they had made an new road that went around the tricky spot. Hope its holding on fine.
g)Places to stay at Tabo, just in case the monastery guest house is closed for the winters?
h) Thing to carry and precautions to take. Never done such extreme weather drives before.
i) Contact numbers for these places where i can call up for road and stay situation.
We have one empty spot to be filled up in the safari. This is supposed to be a 3 person trip. Anyone interested may please contact me.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:37   #2
Mik
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Kaza in December end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhiknov View Post
Been planning a white holiday since some time, finally got a 5 day window in December: 21st to 25th.
The rough Plan:
Day 1: Gurgaon - Narkanda (early start so that we can do Hatu peak in afternoon)
--------
The Apprehensions:
a) Is there a chance of this route, or any part of being closed during late December. Has anyone done this route in winters?
b) I have assumed that since the roads are open, we would find places to stay. Hope i'm not asking for too much.
c) The weather table for Kaza on one travel website reads: December Max 9 deg. Min -15deg. snowfall 22cm. Its the last entry i'm worried about. How does 22cm of snowfall affect our trip?
---
e)Where all are the Petrol pumps?
---
h) Thing to carry and precautions to take. Never done such extreme weather drives before.
Last year, same dates we had similar plans - on bikes though. Unfortunately, there was zilch snow at that time except for some old snow at Narkanda. The route to tabo was blocked by BRO which was doing road blasting. Hence we stuck to Kalpa and Chitkul primarily and then a detour through Jalori (very less snow again) and Mandi to Gurgaon.
There were no hotels functioning at Chitkul and only one functioning hotel at Sangla(just beside the tourist guest house)
The pipelines had frozen over so we had to make to do with buckets of water which would also freeze a bit at night !

Petrol pumps
1. Jeori for tank-up
2. Sangla (newly opened. Was functioning)
3. Powari (though i have not seen it open the two times i went there)
4. Kaza (according to Ramkys maps)

Essentials:
At sub zero or close to sub zero temperatures, it gets very uncomfortable in a hotel room. Pack up on your woolens.

Also, would suggest that unless you have a compelling reason to stay in Narkanda, Sarahan is a quiet and beautiful option (you have to reach before sunset though)

Last edited by Mik : 29th November 2012 at 07:41. Reason: Trimming the post
Old 29th November 2012, 08:08   #3
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Kaza in December end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Also, would suggest that unless you have a compelling reason to stay in Narkanda, Sarahan is a quiet and beautiful option (you have to reach before sunset though)
Hatu peak is the attraction. And a non stop drive to Narkanda is doable if you start early morning. Lunch at HPTDC hotel Hatu and then the second half is available to see the sunset at Hatu peak. The drive up has become easier now, but still has its charm, along with the chance to find snow there if we get lucky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks