Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Pune - Wellington - Pune

Hi Guys,

Am planning a trip from Pune to wellington and back and would appreciate your inputs on the same.

below are the details:

Car : Skoda Rapid
No of people : 4
People Driving : 2
Leaving : 23 Mar 2013 0300 hrs
Reaching(Planned) : 23 Mar 2013 2100 hrs

I know I would be strecthing a bit here in trying to cover this distance on the same day, but 15 to 16 hours of driving is something that am used to and should be able to cover without much fatigue(especially when there are 2 of us to drive).

I can leave before 0300 hrs as well if you guys suggest as I wouldn't want to be at the hearpins when it's dark.

Would appreciate your inputs on the fastest route and the current road conditions.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune - Wellington - Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidrahul View Post

I know I would be strecthing a bit here in trying to cover this distance on the same day, but 15 to 16 hours of driving is something that am used to and should be able to cover without much fatigue(especially when there are 2 of us to drive).

I can leave before 0300 hrs as well if you guys suggest as I wouldn't want to be at the hearpins when it's dark.

Would appreciate your inputs on the fastest route and the current road conditions.
There is not point driving even in the evenings. Simply because you would rather want to enjoy the drive around those regions rather than hurry it over. Start a day earlier (if possible) and break at Mysore. I would say thats the best option. This I am suggesting in spite of the fact that there are two guys who can drive in your group.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:13   #3
BHPian

@Ampere : Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually I have a week long visit to wellington and was hoping to reach there and then maybe after a couple of days venture towards Mysore and bandipur.

Any suggestions on the route and route conditions.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Am planning a trip from Pune to wellington and back and would appreciate your inputs on the same.

below are the details:

Pune-Bangalore(NICE Road Entry):10-12hrs

Nice Road Entry @ NH4 to Kengeri:30mins-45mins

Kengeri-Mysore:1.5hr-2hrs

Mysore-Ooty:3hrs

Ooty-Wellington:30mins(if you are caught in traffic at Charring Cross)

Factor in breaks of 30mins for Breakfast,Lunch and biobreak.Altogether doable in about 17hours if all goes good.3am would be a good time to depart from Pune as you would be able to make it to Belgaum for breakfast and would be able to cross the traffic prone Pune-Kolhapur sector before day break.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:43   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pune - Wellington - Pune

Quote:
@Ampere : Thanks for the suggestion.
Actually I have a week long visit to wellington and was hoping to reach there and then maybe after a couple of days venture towards Mysore and bandipur.

Any suggestions on the route and route conditions.
How about, if you break say near Hassan, you can visit Belur/Halebidu on the way. And the next day drive to Ooty. That way you also spend the first day well. Roads between Hassan-Mysore-Ooty are very good road too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
The drive, especially if you go skirting the foothills of the western ghats (either on the cost side or on the plateau side) is one of the most scenic drives around. I had done Madekeri to Yellapur(near Hubli) one day drive(total 16 hrs.) on my returns journey in 2008- in a Santro. We had about 6-8 diversions to see some temples, historic points & getting lost for some distance. If I driven straight I could have reached Pune the same day. But I would have missed some memorable scenes & an enjoyable drive.

So you will not regret it if you stretch it out to 2 days!!

+1. Pune-Hubli-Yellapur-Sirsi-Jog-Shimoga-CKM-Hassan. (Choose any place to see. There are many!)
Hassan-Mysore-Ooty D2.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd March 2013 at 15:48.
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:43   #6
BHPian

Re: Pune-wellington-Pune

The drive, especially if you go skirting the foothills of the western ghats (either on the cost side or on the plateau side) is one of the most scenic drives around. I had done Madekeri to Yellapur(near Hubli) one day drive(total 16 hrs.) on my returns journey in 2008- in a Santro. We had about 6-8 diversions to see some temples, historic points & getting lost for some distance. If I driven straight I could have reached Pune the same day. But I would have missed some memorable scenes & an enjoyable drive.

So you will not regret it if you stretch it out to 2 days!!
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks