Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 23:23   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Pokhara

Hello everyone.

I'm driving to Pokhara (Nepal) next week and it would be great if someone could answer the following questions.
  1. What is the best route from Delhi to Pokhara?
  2. What are the timings at the border crossing?
  3. On the way back I have to drive from Chitwan NP to Lucknow - what will be the best route for that?
  4. From Lucknow to Delhi is it better to come via NH-24 or via NH-2 & Yamuna expressway?
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi to Pokhara

I would suggest the route via Agra, Kanpur, Lucknow, Ayodhya, GOrakhpur, Sunauli to Pokhara, although you could also take the shorter route via Moradabad, Rampur, Tanakapur, Banabasa, Mahendra Nagar too.

However, I would choose the busier Sunauli route which is open all day - not sure of the night though (I hear conflicting views that border is open from only 6 am - 830 pm, although I did go through after that time also).

Chitwan can be covered on way back. Exit through Sunauli.

I would prefer the NH2 option from Lucknow to Delhi.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 07:59   #3
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Pokhara

Thank you HVK sir for the guidance.

Took your suggestions and the route was actually fantastic.

Status update:
Delhi to Lucknow - Took the Taj expressway first and later the NH-2 all the way to Kanpur. The Taj expresway was obviously too good, and even the NH-2 was great minus one town which had too many speed breakers. (Faizabad).

The road between Kanpur to Lucknow was under upgradation for the most stretch - hence slow.

The highway from Lucknow to Gorakhapur is absoultely excellent which was very surprising.

The road from Gorakhpur to Sunauli was not that great but acceptable. The stretch took about 2 hours.

Sunauli to Pokhara was on poor Nepali roads and took about 6 hours. We crossed the border at 6pm - and you are correct the crossing happens 24/7. This is what the people there told me too.
vardhan.harsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:25   #4

Road Trip to Pokhara & Kathmandu in Feb 2018

Mod note: Please use Search function and post in appropriate sub section / existing threads. Thanks.

Hello friends,

I am planning a road trip from Shimla / New Delhi to Pokhara and Kathmandu in Feb 2018. I would attend Nepal International Film Festival (NIFF) from 2nd February to 5th Feb, 2018 at Pokhara and then go to Kathmandu for a day of two. I will take my XUV500-W8. Please advise me on best route and latest road condition. As I will drive alone, I would like to invite any interested Team-BHPean to join me on this trip. Planning to start on 31 Jan and return by 10 Feb. If you want to join me on this trip please mail me at drbahar@gmail.com or mob: 8392811111/9435072356.

Dr Bahar
IIAS Shimla/IIM Kashipur

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd January 2018 at 18:29. Reason: Please use Search and post in appropriate sub section / existing threads. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks