Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 23:21   #1
BHPian

Kolkata to Chandannagar

Hi All,
I would be driving from Kolkata (more specifically Jadavpur) to Chandannagar during 25th/26th of this month.

Though it is a relatively short distance (of about 60 Kms), which would be the best route (in terms of driving comfort) for this journey?

Experts kindly advise.
Old 15th January 2014, 02:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Chandannagar

I don't have an idea that from which part of Kolkata you will be coming. So if you come by kona expressway or Belgharia expressway or by bally bridge from the Dunlop side in all the above conditions you drive up till Dankuni via Delhi road.

From here you have two options.

Option 1- Drive by Delhi road. The road is in mixed condition with few bad stretches sudden pot holes but drivable. You might be stuck for small 15 to 20 minutes traffic jam as work is going on in few places so the road workers are blocking one side and then let go the other side. By Delhi road drive till Mankundu. The land mark will be after an Indian Oil petrol bunk(left side while going) you will cross a bridge and just after few hundred meters crossing the bridge take the first right turn which goes via Mankundu station. If you get confused do ask the locals for the road leading to Mankundu station. This point is approximately 25 kms from Dankuni. The road is a bit narrow but easily drivable. Drive straight and this road will join Gt road. Turn left for Chandannagar.

Option 2- The longer route. From Dankuni take Durgapur expressway drive till Singur take the left side of the fly over and turn right. Go for 8kms and connect Delhi road at Baidyabati from there take left on Delhi road and go till Mankundu and take the Mankundu station road as i told above. In this route you wont face any traffic jams as the traffic jams are mostly near Dankuni and Konnagar area.

Option 3- The shortest route. Take Gt road from Bally and drive straight till Chandannagar. The road condition is worst. You have to cross level crossings. I will say avoid this route.

You can choose between option one and two. Option 2 will be longer by 10kms approximately. I stay at Uttarpara and do this route more or less once a month. My 1st preference is always option 1 but if i find traffic jam i take option 2.

Last edited by Samba : 15th January 2014 at 02:10.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
By Delhi road drive till Mankundu. The land mark will be after an Indian Oil petrol bunk(left side while going) you will cross a bridge and just after few hundred meters crossing the bridge take the first right turn which goes via Mankundu station.
I think a better landmark description would be 'just after the twin bridge'.

If memory serves me right, the Chuchura connector was wider than the Mankundu connector. The Mankundu rail underpass used to be a mess.

Quote:
Option 3- The shortest route. Take Gt road from Bally and drive straight till Chandannagar. The road condition is worst. You have to cross level crossings. I will say avoid this route.
Actually on holidays, and afternoons, I find GT road quite navigable! Approach using the Baidyabati/ Sheoraphuli connector.

Quote:
You can choose between option one and two. Option 2 will be longer by 10kms approximately. I stay at Uttarpara and do this route more or less once a month. My 1st preference is always option 1 but if i find traffic jam i take option 2.
You get onto NH2 (old, Delhi Road) using the Srirampur connector, or Uttarpara - Dankuni?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 20:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I think a better landmark description would be 'just after the twin bridge'.

If memory serves me right, the Chuchura connector was wider than the Mankundu connector. The Mankundu rail underpass used to be a mess.

Actually on holidays, and afternoons, I find GT road quite navigable! Approach using the Baidyabati/ Sheoraphuli connector.

You get onto NH2 (old, Delhi Road) using the Srirampur connector, or Uttarpara - Dankuni?

Regards
Sutripta
Yes the twin bridge is more appropriate but due to current work going on people are generally using a single side for going and returning. The other one is very less used due to its broken stretch.

The Mankundu connector is fine now with good roads but a bit narrow. The Chinchura connector is also good but that will be a bit longer as it will connect to Khadinar more at Gt road. From there Chandannagar will be about 3-4kms drive back on the Gt road.

I asked to avoid GT road not due to the messy traffic but due to the road condition. Its full of rough patches and pot holes.

I connect to Delhi road from Dankuni. Its 5 kms from my home. I connect it via T.N.Mukherjee road locally know as Raghunathpur.

Last edited by Samba : 15th January 2014 at 20:56.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 21:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Yes the twin bridge is more appropriate but due to current work going on people are generally using a single side for going and returning. The other one is very less used due to its broken stretch.
But still can be seen. Very distinctive as a landmark.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks