Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Understanding the Bangalore City Railway Station

I'm not sure if there exists a thread on this topic. If it does, Mods, please do the needful and merge the thread.

I've got to go to the station tomorrow and pick up my mom who is arriving via Rajdhani Express at 6:40 in the morning. I just inquired that the train will arrive at Platform No. 8. Not mater how hard I've tried to understand the layout of the station, it isn't helping me out: http://goo.gl/maps/OENmT

Now, I've never been to this particular station and I'm completely unaware about how to reach as close to Platform No. 8. Usually all big railway stations have 2 entry and exit points, but this one seems to have 3.

Can someone guide me or share a Google map route how to reach as close to platform no 8? Reason being, I don't want my mother to walk a lot and there's truckloads of luggage that needs to be carried. A perfect situation for coolies to exploit!

Thanks in advance.

(P.S: I know I can leave earlier to figure out a way. But i would rather catch up on some sleep which has been escaping me because of the office workload )
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:00   #2
BHPian

re: Understanding the Bangalore City Railway Station

Please enter the railway station using the Railway Station Backgate. Platform 8 is on the right side of the entrance.
spiler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:26   #3
BHPian

You can access platform 8 directly from the back gate. To get there drive straight past the main entrance, go through/ under the railway bridge after the circle and take the immediate left. This should take you to the back gate. The entrance gives you access to platforms 8, 9 and I think 10 as well.

Parik
parik_ind is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:31   #4
BHPian

Search for "bangalore railway station back gate" - directions are as per above post by parik_ind

Last edited by D-nav : 2nd May 2014 at 14:34. Reason: link not working
D-nav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:37   #5
BHPian

There are only 2 entrances to the the bangalore city railway railway station AFAIK!
The main entrance opposite to the majestic bus stand and the back gate.

For reaching platform 8, you can take the entry marked "Bangalore Railway station back gate" in google maps! It is also called the Okalipuram entrance/gate. I think this entrance will directly lead to platform 8 and 9 you will not even have to climb any foot over bridges.

If you are coming to the station from the KG road/Hudson circle side, you will need to cross the main entrance, and take a left at the next junction. After this you will need to take an immediate left as soon as you cross the railway underpass.

If you have any doubts, any auto driver around that area would be able to guide you if you ask for the Okalipuram side entrance!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 14:59   #6
BHPian

Got it.
Thanks a lot folks! I was tracking the map so closely, somehow I missed the 'Bangalore Railway Station Back Gate' altogether.

Mods. You can close this thread.
Old 2nd May 2014, 15:33   #7
BHPian

But do they announce platform number for arrivals this early? Or is it Rajdhani always being assigned to 8?
Old 2nd May 2014, 16:23   #8
BHPian

Rajdhanis usually arrive on a particular platform. It has been this way in Bhopal and Ahmedabad. I've never been to Bangalore City Railway station. In fact, my mom boarded from the same dedicated platform in Bhopal, early in the morning today.
Old 2nd May 2014, 16:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
But do they announce platform number for arrivals this early? Or is it Rajdhani always being assigned to 8?
The Bangalore city station has a weird track layout and the Rajdhani cannot arrive in platforms 1-7 as the tracks from these platforms lead to cantonment/KR Puram side. Only tracks on platforms 8-10/11 lead to the Yelahanka side!
Another weird thing is that trains from Mysore side arriving at the other end of the station cannot come into platforms 1-4!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 00:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Understanding the Bangalore City Railway Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
In bangalore city railway station, platforms 1-7 are used for both mysore and jolarpet bound trains. Platforms 8-10 are used for mysore bound trains and yeswantpur bound trains. Platforms 1-3 do not extend towards the mysore side.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 16:46   #11
BHPian

Guys, Reaching KSR Banglore station and have to reach Radiant resort, CK Palya Road, Bannerghatta Road. Can someone please suggest public transportation from Majestic/Metro or Bus/Metro+ Uber route.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Guys, Reaching KSR Banglore station and have to reach Radiant resort, CK Palya Road, Bannerghatta Road. Can someone please suggest public transportation from Majestic/Metro or Bus/Metro+ Uber route.
There are BMTC Volvo buses starting from Majestic bus station (KBS). You can use the subway close to entrance gate to reach the bus station.

At the bus stand, look for the platform from where bus no. 365 starts and board it. Your need to disembark at Koli Farm bus stop. Approximate timings from KBS are captured here. Please note, this is not an official website and timings are subjected to change.

Last edited by strawhat : 18th September 2018 at 17:33.
strawhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 12:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
There are BMTC Volvo buses starting from Majestic bus station (KBS). You can use the subway close to entrance gate to reach the bus station.

At the bus stand, look for the platform from where bus no. 365 starts and board it. Your need to disembark at Koli Farm bus stop. Approximate timings from KBS are captured here. Please note, this is not an official website and timings are subjected to change.
Thanks strawhat for your suggestion.

Reached Majestic through the underpass. The bus no 365 starts from Platform No 16. There was a low floor AC which was ready to go when I reached the platform. Fare to KoliFarm is Rs 69. Took about 1 hr 15 minutes for the journey.
ontheroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 07:22   #14
BHPian

Had a hard time with the thugs who manage the basement parking at Okalipuram.

Upon realizing that I had lost the parking token, I offered to buy another one but they wanted more. I showed them my platform ticket and also the train ticket to prove that I had not been here more than 10 minutes, but, they wouldn't listen. They demanded that I pay a fine of Rs. 100 and also visit the traffic police station to prove that I am not driving a stolen vehicle. I refused and began driving out. They blocked my exit and started to threaten me. Parked my car, locked it and tried reasoning again. Yet again they refused. My luck began to improve; I noticed a traffic police rep nearby and signaled him for help. He tried to reason with the thugs and later took my side. Settled for Rs. 50.

Next time you lose yours, go back to the entrance and ask for another.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 23:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Had a hard time with the thugs who manage the basement parking at Okalipuram.

Upon realizing that I had lost the parking token, I offered to buy another one but they wanted more. I showed them my platform ticket and also the train ticket to prove that I had not been here more than 10 minutes, but, they wouldn't listen. They demanded that I pay a fine of Rs. 100 and also visit the traffic police station to prove that I am not driving a stolen vehicle. I refused and began driving out. They blocked my exit and started to threaten me. Parked my car, locked it and tried reasoning again. Yet again they refused. My luck began to improve; I noticed a traffic police rep nearby and signaled him for help. He tried to reason with the thugs and later took my side. Settled for Rs. 50.

Next time you lose yours, go back to the entrance and ask for another.
Usually, there is a penalty for losing the parking ticket. Why do you call the parking attendants as 'thugs'?
Imagine the case where a car thief picks a car from the parking lot and tries to drive away, what should the parking attendant do?
msdivy is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks