Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 16:15   #1
DRC
BHPian

What do you know about the places you have visited?

Hi all,
In this section we all share a lotta info about new places visited and the route to the place, how good/bad the place is, the drive etc..Some thing struck to me. How about sharing some info of the place which is interesting to read. May be like Historical importance, Interesting stories (including the spooky ones), Mythical associations, etc... See what i mean?

To start this thread some thing from me.

Namada chilume: This is about 70 KMs from Bangalore, near Tumkur. The story behind this place is as follows.... When Sriram, was travelling south in search of Seeta when she was kidnapped, he stayed in this place for a night. The next morning, when he needed water to wear his nama, he scrached his thumb inside a grinding stone (which is used for preparing chutney) which was there on a rock and a spring of water appeared. Today also we can see the spring out of that grinding stone.

Devarayana durga, This is a hill near by Namada chilume, both these places are in a small forest. Here is a large rock, with a white coloration on it, which is like a scraf fallen (huge). It is said that when Seeta was being kidnapped, she tried to leave behind some clues to ram to track her back. While doing so she dropped a scarf which fell on the rock. To me it appeared like a welding between the rocks.
This also happens to be my native place.

Talakad: This is a small place on the bank of river cuavery. The speciality is it has lot of sand on its banks, which almost covers the old village. There are temples in this sand dunes, which get submerge during winds.
Story behind this place..Once upon a time there was a woman (I dont know her name) who was very wealthy and had lot of jewels. She believed, her wealth was of god. But the Maharaja of that province (Mysore), wanted to get those jewels, from her. She was reluctant. When the raja forces for the jewels and sends soldiers, she decides to jump into the river wearing all the jewels, mean while she utters this curse. " Let Talkad turn sandy, Manangi (I do not know where is this place) turn swampy, and let there be no children born to Maharaja of mysore" It is said the curse is valid even today. Talkad is sandy, dont know about Manangi, and Maharaja's of Mysore do not have children. Every time they adopt a child.

Please do share anything you know about the place you visited..like this.

PS; This thread is not to discuss the technical validity of the story. There may be different flavors of the story and may be more than one story too. So please do share all the versions you know.

Mods, I believe there is no thread of such a discussion.. If there is one, please move this one there. I have searched and did not find one.

Last edited by DRC : 26th July 2006 at 16:17.
Old 27th July 2006, 16:21   #2
DRC
BHPian

Nobody liked this thread? Not even hardcore outgoers or
Old 2nd August 2006, 11:37   #3
DRC
BHPian

Did you know, Dharmastala, a piligrim place in South Canara, has a Museum of exotic Vintage cars!?
Old 2nd August 2006, 18:55   #4
BHPian

Hi DRC,

Good to know the mythological background of the places you have written about. Yes this topic seems to have a latency time to get started
Old 23rd August 2006, 14:49   #5
BHPian

There are quite a few places around Pandavapura (Off Mysore Road)
Lot of stories of Bhima fighting some demon and left their foot prints. They look real and you would acknowledge this atleast in front of the locals who very earnestly try to prove this to you.

Most Viewed