Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Delhi - Gurdaspur route?

Hi ,

I live in Delhi and need to visit Gurdaspur,Punjab this weekend.
I just want to know about which route should I take- I will be traveling with family (all adults)

There are two routes that I can see on Google maps:

1. Delhi-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala-Rupnagar-Hoshiarpur-Batala-Gurdaspur
2. Delhi-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Batala-GUrdaspur

I have travelled to Amritsar earlier and at that time the Ludhiana-Jalandhar route had many diversions, half-constructed flyover sections etc + it was monsoon season and it was generally a mess. This was almost one year ago.
Any change in the status since then?

I also remember that while returning in this trip via Anandpur Sahib, I must have taken some of the Hoshiarpur-Rupnagar section and it was a breeze to drive then.

Which of the above two routes is a better option- more specifically, I do not have any info on the Hoshiarpur-Batala section...

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance folks !
Old 24th September 2014, 14:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Delhi - Gurdaspur route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Hi ,

I live in Delhi and need to visit Gurdaspur,Punjab this weekend.
I just want to know about which route should I take- I will be traveling with family (all adults)

There are two routes that I can see on Google maps:

1. Delhi-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala-Rupnagar-Hoshiarpur-Batala-Gurdaspur
2. Delhi-Panipat-Karnal-Ambala-Ludhiana-Jalandhar-Batala-GUrdaspur

I have travelled to Amritsar earlier and at that time the Ludhiana-Jalandhar route had many diversions, half-constructed flyover sections etc + it was monsoon season and it was generally a mess. This was almost one year ago.
Any change in the status since then?

I also remember that while returning in this trip via Anandpur Sahib, I must have taken some of the Hoshiarpur-Rupnagar section and it was a breeze to drive then.

Which of the above two routes is a better option- more specifically, I do not have any info on the Hoshiarpur-Batala section...

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks in advance folks !
I would suggest the route via Hoshiarpur. recently came back from Dalhousie via Hoshiarpur and Chandigarh. the road is good and not too much traffic either. But, post Hoshiarpur, go via Dasuya and Mukerian to Gurdaspur and skip Batala.

suggest stopping at Hoshiarpuri Bhaiyan Da Dhaba between Ropar and Balachaur. should be on your right when you are closer to Balachaur. amazing parathas and khoya burfi available there
lalittalwar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 14:32   #3
BHPian

Thanks Lalit- I had planned for a break at Hoshiarpur- will take up your suggestion on this !!
Old 24th September 2014, 16:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
post Hoshiarpur, go via Dasuya and Mukerian to Gurdaspur and skip Batala.

suggest stopping at Hoshiarpuri Bhaiyan Da Dhaba between Ropar and Balachaur. should be on your right when you are closer to Balachaur. amazing parathas and khoya burfi available
+1 - this is the best route and one of the best Dhaba in the area ,don't forgot to get some burfi packed for your home
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2014, 21:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
suggest stopping at Hoshiarpuri Bhaiyan Da Dhaba between Ropar and Balachaur. should be on your right when you are closer to Balachaur. amazing parathas and khoya burfi available there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
+1 - this is the best route and one of the best Dhaba in the area ,don't forgot to get some burfi packed for your home
I couldn't think the Hoshiarpuri Bhrawan Da Dhaba would get this popular to find a mention here. I remember many a refreshing late night dinners in the dhaba while coming back from Delhi or Chandigarh.

But of late I have shifted my loyalties to a dhaba just adjacent to the petrol bunk near the Hoshiarpuri dhaba. This one looks a little shady from outside and dilapidated too, but boy the food is lip-smackingly good!
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2014, 15:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I couldn't think the Hoshiarpuri Bhrawan Da Dhaba would get this popular to find a mention here. I remember many a refreshing late night dinners in the dhaba while coming back from Delhi or Chandigarh.

But of late I have shifted my loyalties to a dhaba just adjacent to the petrol bunk near the Hoshiarpuri dhaba. This one looks a little shady from outside and dilapidated too, but boy the food is lip-smackingly good!
Thanks for the new place. will try it out the next time I am driving on that route. but for the burfi and besan, I will still go to Hoshiarpuri.

Btw, I belong to Chandigarh and Dalhousie is second home. So, I travel in that part of Punjab quite often, and can share good dhabas to eat on the way.
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:17   #7
BHPian

This was a terrific route-very very scenic !! Set a new record of driving >500kms in a day-in 10 hours,with 2 refreshing breaks !!
Encountered small town traffic at 2-3 places, but largely, highways & good State roads.

Experimented & returned via NH1-NOT cool. Bad jam at Hoshiarpur.
Took 12 Hours to return-mainly coz we started very late@12pm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks