Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 19:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: An all-women drive along the coast of the Indian Peninsula

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidula View Post
Attachment 1304361

We are starting on the 1st January 2015 and we will finish on the 26th February 2015 i.e. we are doing this over 57 days.
Expect heavy fog in most of North & Central India.

Quote:
Now here is how the itinerary looks like

January

Maharashtra
Mumbai – Guhagar - 303kms – Day 1
Guhagar - 306kms – Day 2
Depends on which route you take - NH17 or MSH4. Any specific reason to go to GUhaghar? I am also confused - 2 days for Mumbai-Guhaghar?

Quote:
Goa
Guhagar – Mandrem – 300kms – Day 3
Mandrem – Service Checkpoint – Day 4
Which route - NH17 or MSH4?

Quote:
Karnataka
Mandrem - Turtle Bay – 300kms – Day 5
Turtle Bay – Day 6
Not a great idea. Perhaps you could spread the 2 days across 2-3 beach locations like Gokarna, Murdeshwar, Kaup, etc

Quote:
Kerala
Turtle Bay – Kannur – 245kms – Day 7
Bekal may be a good place to stop overnight too. And don't forget to drive on Muzhapilangad Beach, a little south of Kannur

Quote:
Kannur – Kochi – 278kms – Day 8
Kochi – Day 9
Kochi – Thiruvananthapuram – 206kms – Day 10
Thiruvananthapuram – Service Checkpoint – Day 11
Will be the worst part of the drive. Heavy congestion. Do detour to visit the Athirapalli Falls & backwaters in Alapuzha. If you have to take a day off, do it in Alapuzha

Quote:
Tamil Nadu
Thiruvananthapuram – Kanyakumari – 102kms – Day 12
Kanyakumari – Rameshwaram – 316kms – Day 13
Rameshwaram – Day 14
Rameshwaram – Tranquebar – 296kms – Day 15
Tranquebar – Pondicherry – 116kms – Day 16
Pondicherry – Service Checkpoint – Day 17
Multiple route choices. For TVM-KK and KK-Rameswaram.
Tranquebar has limited acco, perhaps it would be a better idea to explore this "temple county" of TN by taking some detours to places like Thanjavur, or staying at Chidambaram, etc

Quote:
Andhra Pradesh
Pondicherry – Pulicat – 206kms – Day 18
Pulicat – Day 19
Pulicat – Machilipatinam – 298kms – Day 20
Machilipatinam - Koringa – 184kms – Day 21
Koringa – Day 22
Koringa – Srikakulam – 272kms – Day 23
Pulicat - not an exciting place to stay in? Why not Madras itself, with a leisurely stop over at Mahabalipuram?

Instead of Machilapatnam, I would suggest some exotic places in teh KOnaseem region around Bhimawaram, on the banks of the River Godavari - with lots of bird life too (instead of Machilapatnam, Coringa)

Quote:
Odisha
Srikakulam – Puri – 326kms – Day 24
Puri – Service Checkpoint – Day 25, 26, 27
Puri – Bhitarkanika – 198kms – Day 28
Bhitarkanika – Day 29
Bhitarkanika – Sunderbans – 478kms – Day 30
Sunderbans – Day 31
May I suggest a stop over in Satapada , on the banks of the Chilka Lake - with a ferry ride from Krishnaprasad Island? With detours to KOnarak of course.

Instead of Bhitarkanika, will Digha Beach be a better idea?
Or Ganga Sagar, near Kakdwip/ Namkhana south of Diamond Harbor - where Ganga merges into the Sea?

Sunderbans means going to Gosaba, hopping across a few islands, and overnight stays in boats. Plan ahead.

Quote:
February
Sunderbans – Kolkata – 120kms - Day 32
Kolkata – Service Checkpoint – Day 33

Jharkhand
Kolkata – Jamshedpur – 283kms – Day 34
Jamshedpur – Day 35
Bad idea. Terrible roads. Maybe I would take the road to Ranchi. Stay in Ranchi that night.

Quote:
Chattisgarh
Jamshedpur – Kunkuri – 306kms – Day 36
Kunkuri - Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary – 313kms – Day 37
Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary – Day 38
I would go from Ranchi via Gumla & Shahdol to Amarkantak - source of River Narmada - and then towards Jabalpur to stay in Bedeghat (Marble Rocks)

Quote:
Madhya Pradesh
Achanakmar Wildlife Sanctuary – Jabalpur – 260kms – Service Checkpoint – Day 39
Jabalpur – Pachmarhi -234kms – Day 40
Pachmarhi – Day 41
Pachmarhi – Dewas – 391kms – Day 42
Dewas – Day 43
I would cover Sanchi. Maheswar or Mandu.

Quote:
Gujarat
Dewas - Ratanmahal Wildlife Sanctuary – 277kms – Day44
Ratanmahal Wildlife Sanctuary – Day 45
Ratanmahal Wildlife Sanctuary – Ahmedabad – 209kms – Service Checkpoint – Day 46
Ahmedabad – Bhuj – 403kms – Day47
Bhuj – Day 48
Bhuj – Jamnagar – 318kms – Day 49
Jamnagar – Porbandar – 236kms – Day 50
Porbandar – Diu – 211kms – Day 51
Diu – Day 52
Diu – Lothal – 307kms – Service Checkpoint – Day 53
Lothal – Day 54
Lothal – Daman – 371kms – Day 55
Daman – Day 56
Since NH59 is terrible, I would take alternative routes via some beautiful jungles - Alirajpur - to get to Ahmedabad. Perhaps, I would do one better & from Dewas side, go via Ratlam, Neemuch to Chittorgarh & Udaipur. And then go to RoK. Honestly, I would spend more time in the RoKs and less in place slike Porbander & Diu, although I would surely drive on the Kathiawad coast. Perhaps, a visit to the Jamnagar Marine NP would be exciting since this is the time of the year when it is open.

Plenty of circuits around the LRoK and GRoK.

Quote:
Maharashtra
Daman - Mumbai – 221kms – Day 57
Perhaps a drive via Bordi too?

Quote:
I needed some help in terms of the following:

1. The vehicles that we will receive will have a private vehicle's number plate. Can someone help me calculate the amount that we might spend on the tolls along the way? We will be on the coastal route most of the time. But on occasions where we might encounter a toll, I wondering how much we might end up spending on tolls. This is one loose end that I still need to figure out.
Has to worked out road by road.
Many of the roads you will travel in are not tolled, so a cursory estimate would be 50 paisa per km.

Quote:
2. We have received sponsorship for the vehicles. We are still looking for cash sponsorship for accommodation, food, fuel and other miscellaneous items. I have approached many companies but I am yet to hear back from them. What are the companies that I can approach? Can you all suggest some companies that we can approach that might help us with sponsorships for this drive? This is very important. Please get in touch with me if you have any ideas/suggestions about how we can score this sponsorship!

Communication partner - MObile companies
Hotel partner - someone like CCD, Taj Ginger or a chain where you will stay most
Car accessories - oil companies like BPCL, lubricant companies like Castrol
Navigation Partner - maybe a navigation device company like MMI

Quote:
4. What all do we need to carry as far as the repair kit is concerned?

Puncture Kit
Tyre Inflator
Trolley Jack
Good torches
Swiss Knives
Fuses
Coolant & Oils, including brake oil
Spare tubes

Quote:
5. What all should we carry in our first aid kit?
Will advise separately

Quote:
6. We were a little concerned about the naxalites in states like Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Chattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh. We intend to drive during the day along the coastal route. But in states like West Bengal, Chattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh, do we need to be extra careful?
Avoid doing Calcutta-Jamshedpur
Avoid doing Ranchi-Shahdol after dark.
Rest of your route is as safe as anywhere in India

Quote:
8. Is there something I need to keep a track of? Am i missing something critical? I would count on you all to help me put together the missing pieces.
G Maps & Navigators are terribly wrong & flawed in their route mapping.
Install a GPS tracker in the cars.

Quote:
9. We will be approaching newspapers who will cover the event. We don't want to approach mainstream media. We want to keep a low profile. I think it is a good idea. What do you suggest?
Use social media. Rest will follow.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2016 at 15:13. Reason: Fixing quote :)
hvkumar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 19:49   #17

hvkumar,
Thank you so much for replying in detail. This is absolutely brilliant.
I am going to need some time to digest this information bit by bit though :-) I need to pull up my socks :-)
I will get in touch with you soon with more questions, perhaps tomorrow!
Regards,
Vidula
vidula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 19:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply Maverick5490.
Yes, that will be of great help. I will get in touch with hvkumar

Shinuak, Thank you for your reply.

Yes, we infact are waiting for the sponsorship to come through. Mahindra has already agreed to give us 2 Scorpio 4x4 vehicles for this drive. I have sent out a bunch of emails to companies like castrol, hp, makemytrip, shewee, for sponsorship. They haven't replied yet. And I know I have a very short time left - 24 days in November and 30 days in December.

Any other companies that I can get in touch with for sponsorship? I was also thinking of crowdfunding and have started preparations in that direction and will put up something by the 10th November 2014 on some crowdfunding sites.

Once the sponsorship comes through, we will get in touch with the media and put it up on Facebook and other social media.

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Vidula
There are plenty of CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) initiatives underway and perhaps it would be a good idea to also approach the CSR wings of large corporates to see if you can propagate or evangelise any of their causes during the drive. Could be causes such as Women Empowerment, Road Safety, etc
Old 6th November 2014, 21:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
hvkumar,
Thank you so much for replying in detail. This is absolutely brilliant.
I am going to need some time to digest this information bit by bit though :-) I need to pull up my socks :-)
I will get in touch with you soon with more questions, perhaps tomorrow!
Regards,
Vidula
Vidula,

I have expected this reaction from you after I read HVK's detailed post. He takes you to places where even a GPS cannot . I am sure under his guidance you will accomplish your journey safely and comfortably.
JoseVijay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 21:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 9500kms, all women-drive, along the coastal Indian Peninsula

Quote:
Please get in touch with me if you have any ideas/suggestions about how we can score this sponsorship!
Just a thought - maybe you could approach the people who organize this: http://www.lavasawomensdrive.com/

I have no idea how it would work out, but wouldn't hurt to try.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th November 2014 at 21:51.
Old 7th November 2014, 09:58   #21

hvkumar, thanks I will consider these options.

vikram, sure i will get in touch with them as well :-)

hvkumar

Regarding the following

"Depends on which route you take - NH17 or MSH4. Any specific reason to go to GUhaghar? I am also confused - 2 days for Mumbai-Guhaghar?"

That was a misprint. We stay in Guhagar on day 2. 306kms was a typo

Regards,
Vidula

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Expect heavy fog in most of North & Central India.
Quote:
Now here is how the itinerary looks like

Depends on which route you take - NH17 or MSH4. Any specific reason to go to GUhaghar? I am also confused - 2 days for Mumbai-Guhaghar?

Which route - NH17 or MSH4?
We are driving the coastal route. MSH4.

Not a great idea. Perhaps you could spread the 2 days across 2-3 beach locations like Gokarna, Murdeshwar, Kaup, etc
Ok

Bekal may be a good place to stop overnight too. And don't forget to drive on Muzhapilangad Beach, a little south of Kannur
Ok. Awesome.

Will be the worst part of the drive. Heavy congestion. Do detour to visit the Athirapalli Falls & backwaters in Alapuzha. If you have to take a day off, do it in Alapuzha
OK

Tranquebar has limited acco, perhaps it would be a better idea to explore this "temple county" of TN by taking some detours to places like Thanjavur, or staying at Chidambaram, etc
Alright we will consider this

Pulicat - not an exciting place to stay in? Why not Madras itself, with a leisurely stop over at Mahabalipuram?
"Honestly, we want to avoid big cities and want to stop in smaller cities/towns/villages. I'll speak to the team and see what they have to say"

Instead of Machilapatnam, I would suggest some exotic places in teh KOnaseem region around Bhimawaram, on the banks of the River Godavari - with lots of bird life too (instead of Machilapatnam, Coringa)
"OK. Sounds good"

May I suggest a stop over in Satapada , on the banks of the Chilka Lake - with a ferry ride from Krishnaprasad Island? With detours to KOnarak of course.

"OK. This sounds interesting and will take a look."

Instead of Bhitarkanika, will Digha Beach be a better idea?
Or Ganga Sagar, near Kakdwip/ Namkhana south of Diamond Harbor - where Ganga merges into the Sea?

"OK. Will look into this"

Sunderbans means going to Gosaba, hopping across a few islands, and overnight stays in boats. Plan ahead.
"OK. Sounds good"

Bad idea. Terrible roads. Maybe I would take the road to Ranchi. Stay in Ranchi that night.

"OK. I will consider this option"

I would go from Ranchi via Gumla & Shahdol to Amarkantak - source of River Narmada - and then towards Jabalpur to stay in Bedeghat (Marble Rocks)

"OK. We will change the route here"

I would cover Sanchi. Maheswar or Mandu.

"OK. Sounds good"

Since NH59 is terrible, I would take alternative routes via some beautiful jungles - Alirajpur - to get to Ahmedabad. Perhaps, I would do one better & from Dewas side, go via Ratlam, Neemuch to Chittorgarh & Udaipur. And then go to RoK. Honestly, I would spend more time in the RoKs and less in place slike Porbander & Diu, although I would surely drive on the Kathiawad coast. Perhaps, a visit to the Jamnagar Marine NP would be exciting since this is the time of the year when it is open.

Plenty of circuits around the LRoK and GRoK.

"OK. This sounds incredible"

Perhaps a drive via Bordi too?

"OK. "

Has to worked out road by road.
Many of the roads you will travel in are not tolled, so a cursory estimate would be 50 paisa per km.

"OK. "

Communication partner - MObile companies
Hotel partner - someone like CCD, Taj Ginger or a chain where you will stay most
Car accessories - oil companies like BPCL, lubricant companies like Castrol
Navigation Partner - maybe a navigation device company like MMI

"OK. This is priority and will start work on this "

Puncture Kit
Tyre Inflator
Trolley Jack
Good torches
Swiss Knives
Fuses
Coolant & Oils, including brake oil
Spare tubes

"OK. Sounds good"

Will advise separately

"OK. Sure"

Avoid doing Calcutta-Jamshedpur
Avoid doing Ranchi-Shahdol after dark.
Rest of your route is as safe as anywhere in India

"OK. Sounds good"

G Maps & Navigators are terribly wrong & flawed in their route mapping.
Install a GPS tracker in the cars.

"OK. How do we do that?"

Use social media. Rest will follow.
"OK. Awesome"

Thank you so much for the inputs. I have started working on these routes and other suggestions.
Will let you know about the changes that we have incorporated in a bit.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of posting henceforth. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th November 2014 at 18:13. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use the EDIT / QUOTE+ functions within 30 minutes of posting henceforth.
Old 7th November 2014, 10:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hvkumar

Regarding the following

"Depends on which route you take - NH17 or MSH4. Any specific reason to go to GUhaghar? I am also confused - 2 days for Mumbai-Guhaghar?"

That was a misprint. We stay in Guhagar on day 2. 306kms was a typo

Regards,
Vidula

Noted. You can also take the beautiful MSH4 all the way from Alibag to Goa on the KOnkan Coast
Old 7th November 2014, 15:04   #23

Vidula and all women team,best wishes for your trip . We,four senior citizens, been planning the same drive but yet to decide the time frame.But let me assure you regarding the inputs from HVK , they are priceless. We did GQ last november 2013 and HVK guided us every single day for a wonderful trip. Please visit Bordi Village as suggested by him, you will certainly enjoy.
sanjoy50 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 17:14   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A 9500kms, all women-drive, along the coastal Indian Peninsula

All the very best for your drive.
Quote:
Can someone help me calculate the amount that we might spend on the tolls along the way?
Hope this should help you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ow-online.html
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 18:14   #25

Hello sanjoy50, Thank you so much for replying. Yes hvk has given some priceless inputs. We will consider them.
Thanks Vidula :-)
vidula is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 12:43   #26

Quote:
What are the options for TVM-KK and KK Rameshwaram. I have heard traffic is bad. We want to do the southern-most tip of the coast. What do we do here? Someone had suggested an internal route that takes you to Rameshwaram and not go to Kanyakumari. I am a little confused and not sure what route to take here only because of traffic

Quote:
Andhra Pradesh
18. Mahabalipuram – Bhimawaram – Day 18
This stretch is 750kms long. We need a place to stay in between Mahabalipuram and Bhimawaram. Where do we stop?

Note from Mod: Post edited. Please use the QUOTE functionality and remove unwanted text from the quoted posts. Do not reply in bold in-line, as that causes problems when further quoted. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th November 2014 at 20:29. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 19th January 2015, 06:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1304361

Hi,

My name is Vidula and I am from Pune.

I wanted to share with you, an exciting project that I have been working on.

I am planning a 9500 kms drive from Mumbai to Kanyakumari to Kolkata to Madhya Pradesh to Rann of Kutch and back from Mumbai.

We are starting on the 1st January 2015 and we will finish on the 26th February 2015 i.e. we are doing this over 57 days.
And so, this trip is on. I have seen an article in the regional newspaper last week highlighting Vidula's journey along with her team. I am unable to paste the news paper artical here. Will try again and upload.

All the best Vidula and Team.
Old 19th January 2015, 10:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

The lady herself
An all-women drive along the coast of the Indian Peninsula-yourstory_buffyfish.jpg
and a blogppost about her team and drive

http://her.yourstory.com/buffyfish-w...powerment-0101

Raab rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 09:35   #29
BHPian

Discovering India in 41 days
Three CEOs from Kochi set out on a journey across India by road, spreading awareness against honking

Three friends, a mini SUV and miles of open road. Thus begins the story of The Great Indian Footprint, a journey across India in 41 days. Krishna Kumar, CEO of Green Pepper, Midhun Aravind, CEO of A-Team Adventures and Nithin George Charuvila, CEO of QPlay Tech, who set out on this road trip from Kochi on February 14, are just back after clocking 12,000 km, invigorated by the experience....
For rest of the story http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...peninsula.html
Attached Thumbnails
An all-women drive along the coast of the Indian Peninsula-41.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks