Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2006, 14:30   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Ooty - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Hi Guyz....

I know the route from bangalore to ooty been there lot of times, but wondering on the route from ooty to kodai....can u guyz put some light on this...and also on the road conditions

thanks

Last edited by sharu : 8th August 2006 at 14:33.
Old 5th September 2006, 13:42   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharu
Hi Guyz....

I know the route from bangalore to ooty been there lot of times, but wondering on the route from ooty to kodai....can u guyz put some light on this...and also on the road conditions

thanks
Hi, Ooty and kodai are geographically in opposite locations. You need to go back to the centre (coimbatore or madurai) and then go to Kodai. Basically a long journey though. Blr is kinda in the centre of these 2 destinations. Hope that helps. cheers
Old 5th September 2006, 14:21   #3
BHPian

I use http://encarta.msn.com to find locations and routes.
Have look here http://encarta.msn.com/map_701516934...N%C4%81du.html . Click to zoom. Kodai comes Near Madhurai
Old 5th September 2006, 14:26   #4
DRC
BHPian

You should be taking the following route

Ooty--Coimbture--Pollachi--Udumalaipet--Palani--Kodaikanal

Not sure about the road conditions now. I was on this road in 1996..
Old 5th September 2006, 14:51   #5
BHPian

Ooty - Mettupalayam - Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udamalper - Palani - Kodaikanal is the shortest route. However, the Palani - Kodaikanal ghat section is more prone for blockages due to rains / landslides. Check with the Palani Bus depot for motorability of the route. Alternatively, you may from Planai, take the route Palani - Ottanchathiram - Sembatti - Kodaikkanal, and this route is more safe, but you have to drive 100+ kms more.
Old 5th September 2006, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
You should be taking the following route

Ooty--Coimbture--Pollachi--Udumalaipet--Palani--Kodaikanal

Not sure about the road conditions now. I was on this road in 1996..
I did that road in 1999 and it was quite good then. Don't know what it is now. A good way to find out the current road conditions is call up the respective RTC and enquire (I do that often). If you speak to the control room, you might get lucky and speak with a driver who will give you very useful information.

I hope that helps.
Old 5th September 2006, 17:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

I dont know abt Palani - Kodai...but Dindigul - Vattalakundu - Ganguvarpatty - Kodai is excellent....
I went there last saturday....presently writing travelogue, shud post it in a day or two...

Abhi
Old 5th September 2006, 17:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
I dont know abt Palani - Kodai...but Dindigul - Vattalakundu - Ganguvarpatty - Kodai is excellent....
I went there last saturday....presently writing travelogue, shud post it in a day or two...

Abhi
Just was about to write the following, "For any information regarding travel and road conditions in south india, please contact akroy" when I saw this post.....
Old 8th September 2006, 20:20   #9
BHPian

thanks for the route guyz but the replies have poured in after i have come back......anywayz thanks

i went to kodai thru comibatore road was good...but while coming back found it really difficult to get the route from locals (language probs)...anyways we came thru mettur dam....the road is pathetic and sick on this way
Old 6th August 2012, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Ooty - Route and Accommodation information required

Sorry to bump into a very old thread.

I am planning a seven day leisurely trip to Ooty and Kodaikanal starting coming weekend. My plan is as below, please suggest me if you think something is unrealistic. Only wife and myself will be doing this trip, I am the lone driver.

Day 1: Start from Bangalore early in the morning by 5:00am with target to Reach Kodaikanal by 5PM. Will drive via Dindugal to Kodaikanal as suggested by many in the forum. Can someone please let me know the preferable route between Dindugal and Kodaikanal. This will be my first driving adventure on any Ghats roads, hence any advice on the driving conditions on this road, precautions to be taken while driving will be very helpful.

Day 2 and 3: Local sight seeing at Kodaikanal. Please let me know must visit places at Kodai.

I am planning not to book any hotel, I would like to go there and check out myself before booking. As this is off season I am planning to take this risk. Can anyone please advise me on the hotel to stay at Kodai in the budget range not exceeding 1.5k per day? If someone can suggest me a good hotel, I am open to book it online.

Day 4: Drive from Kodai to Ooty. I am planning via Coimbatore and Mettupalyam. Is there any alternate route available? Both of us do not know the local language Tamil, so please suggest me a route which is easy to locate. I have GPS on my S3, I hope it should help in most of the cases.

Day 5 and 6: Local sight seeing at Ooty. Again please let me know the must visit places at Ooty. Also please let me know a place to stay, budget constraint remains the same.

Day 7: Head back to Bangalore via Gundlupet, Chamarajanagar, Kollegal, kanakapura. Taking this route as I would like to visit my relatives at Kollegal. I need information on road condition between Gundlupet and Chamarajanagar.

I will be driving my Indigo eCS, the car is approaching 18K on the odo, last serviced at 8.7k, 6 months back. No problems with the car so far. As the car has not completed 10k after the last service, I am in a dilemma to get it serviced before going for the trip or not? Need expert advice from TBHPians.
Old 6th August 2012, 17:27   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Ooty - Route and Accommodation information required

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer View Post
Day 1: Start from Bangalore early in the morning by 5:00am with target to Reach Kodaikanal by 5PM. Will drive via Dindugal to Kodaikanal as suggested by many in the forum.
Can someone please let me know the preferable route between Dindugal and Kodaikanal.
Dont do Dindigul-Batlagundu. Theni road has quite many diversions. Instead go past Dindigul and exit at Kodai road and head to Batlagundu.

Route Link

Quote:
Day 4: Drive from Kodai to Ooty. I am planning via Coimbatore and Mettupalyam. Is there any alternate route available? Both of us do not know the local language Tamil,
so please suggest me a route which is easy to locate. I have GPS on my S3, I hope it should help in most of the cases.
The route is : Kodai-Palani-Dharapuram-Palladam-Avinashi-Annur-Mettupalayam-Ooty

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 12:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Ooty - Kodaikanal : Route Queries

Hello Folks,

Iam planning for a short vacation to Kodaikanal during 3rd week of December. My driving route would be Hyderabad-Bangalore-Kodaikanal.

Appreciate inputs on following queries

1. Is Hyd-Kodai doable in a single day? If yes, how many hours will it take?

2. Iam familiar with route until Bangalore. Iam totally clueless for route from Bangalore to Kodaikanal

3. Look forward to inputs for shortest and best road condition route from Bangalore to Kodai

4. Any recommendations of hotels in Kodaikanal and any must see/do thing there

5. Finally, is Ooty also recommended for this sector? I may or may not have time to cover ooty.

My trip isnt final and as of now is in coin tossing stage and finalization depends on a lot of factors.
Old 10th December 2013, 13:25   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Possible with a stretch. Start at 3AM sharp. Be a Devanahalli by 8/8:30.
Cross Bangalore via NH207 end to end all the way to Hosur via Hoskote/Sarjapur/Baglur by 10. Be in Kodai by evening.

Quote:
2. Iam familiar with route until Bangalore. Iam totally clueless for route from Bangalore to Kodaikanal
You can afford to be !
Keep driving on NH7 all the till Dindigul. Exit on the bypass towards Theni on to NH45. Drive to Batlagundu. Exit NH45 and take the Kodai ghat road. Its about 2 hours on the ghats. A typical break should be :
- 2.5/3 Hours for Salem.
- 2 hours to Dindigul.
- 3 hours to Kodai.

Quote:
Std best place is Carlton. Ranjit mentioned Fern Creek. Check with him. Thats very good too.

Quote:
5. Finally, is Ooty also recommended for this sector? I may or may not have time to cover ooty.
Not worth I would say. Too much of a stress.

Last edited by ampere : 10th December 2013 at 13:30.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 13:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Carlton, Fern Creek and Villa Retreat. Been to Fern Creek and it's one of the best. Can be a bit sluggish if it's raining (I experienced this). I have a travelogue Cochin - Kodaikanal with photos and reports on Fern Creek.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...odaikanal.html

Kindly excuse the photo quality.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 14:25   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

3. Look forward to inputs for shortest and best road condition route from Bangalore to Kodai

My trip isnt final and as of now is in coin tossing stage and finalization depends on a lot of factors.
Since you are familiar with route till Bangalore, this would be my option for bye-passing Bangalore and heading towards Kodaihttp://goo.gl/maps/XXszR.
Doing Hyd- Kodai will be bit tough.
Bangalore - Dindigul takes around 5 hours during early morning drives. From there till Batalagundu is around 1 hour. If driving down from Hyderabad you will have to add atleast 1.5 hours to this to factor in rush at toll booths and village crossings.
I am quoting drive time only till Batalagundu since past that ghat section starts and time will vary based on stoppages and driving style.
Must do activity in Kodai: Rent a cycle and pedal around the lake.
Visit Bear Shola falls , not much for the falls but for the scenery.
Guna caves, never been able to go there yet. However those who been there rate it highly.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks