Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2015, 09:35   #1
BHPian

Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram

Hi Folks,

Planning to go to my hometown, kollam by train next week, and then drive down to Rameswaram, Dhanushkodi.

I get 3 different route options, with not much of a difference, as this is the first time I am planning for road trip from Kerala,wanted advise on the best route to take, as Google maps does not tell the road conditions, the must see places along the route etc.

If anyone in the recent past has done this trip, please do help.

I have gone through the posts of folks who have gone to Rameswaram from different location, the pictures attached were also a treat to the eyes.

Regards
Shailesh
Attached Thumbnails
Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram-screen-shot-20150225-11.49.20-am.png  

Old 27th February 2015, 09:43   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Planning to go to my hometown, kollam by train next week, and then drive down to Rameswaram, Dhanushkodi.

I get 3 different route options, with not much of a difference, as this is the first time I am planning for road trip from Kerala,wanted advise on the best route to take, as Google maps does not tell the road conditions, the must see places along the route etc.
The Tirunelveli bypass-NH 7A-Tutocorin-East Coast Road route is excellent but not sure of the Kollam-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli bypass part.

Rameshwaram-Madurai-Bangalore is also excellent (if you're returning to Bangalore from Rameshwaram directly).
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 12:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram

Quote:
I have gone through the posts of folks who have gone to Rameswaram from different location, the pictures attached were also a treat to the eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The Tirunelveli bypass-NH 7A-Tutocorin-East Coast Road route is excellent but not sure of the Kollam-Tenkasi-Tirunelveli bypass part.

Rameshwaram-Madurai-Bangalore is also excellent (if you're returning to Bangalore from Rameshwaram directly).
This is a better option:
Route Link

Kollam-Punalur-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Tirunelveli-Ottapadaram-Vembar-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.

Don have to take 7A. You can bypass Tuticorin totally. SH75 is OK and not all that great. But that should be fine. NH208 good to decent but expect Traffic till Thenkasi.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Re: Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram

I have been to rameshwaram thrice in past 6 months.

Twice from Madurai and once from kanyakumari through ECR.

After SH75 you can move on to ECR Road (SH49).

You can even bypass ramnad as well but the road passes through 1 or 2 odd villages and wide enough only for two cars to pass through.

I used it in November end and the condition was also good that time.
pushpender_s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 14:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is a better option:
Route Link

Kollam-Punalur-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Tirunelveli-Ottapadaram-Vembar-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.

Don have to take 7A. You can bypass Tuticorin totally. SH75 is OK and not all that great. But that should be fine. NH208 good to decent but expect Traffic till Thenkasi.
Thanks Ampere and NPV, will take this route Kollam-Punalur-Thenmala-Thenkasi-Tirunelveli-Ottapadaram-Vembar-Ramnad-Rameshwaram.

Any idea whether there are any places of interest along the route, specifically along the TN part.

Regards
Shailesh
Old 28th February 2015, 14:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea whether there are any places of interest along the route, specifically along the TN part.
Ramnad has few temples which are worth visiting.

Forgot to mention on my previous post. Please carry food and water. I dont expect facilities between Tirunelveli to Ramnad. If you need a break in that case, you may want to consider going via Tuicorin and going into the city.
Old 15th March 2023, 17:27   #7
BHPian

Bumping up this thread, planning a repeat journey after 8 years, this time
Kollam-->Sucheendram-->Kanyakumari--> Thiruchendur-->Rameswaram and back via the same route, I know its a bit long for the return journey.

Any suggestions for the Kanyakumari to Rameswaram stretch, good places to visit and eat?
Old 16th March 2023, 09:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up this thread, planning a repeat journey after 8 years, this time
Kollam-->Sucheendram-->Kanyakumari--> Thiruchendur-->Rameswaram and back via the same route, I know its a bit long for the return journey.

Any suggestions for the Kanyakumari to Rameswaram stretch, good places to visit and eat?
I did Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari just last week. Took me some 5.5 hours. Most part of the journey was through small towns and villages but very scenic and good speeds. Unfortunately not a lot of places to stop and eat on the way. A lot of small eateries were all shut. The last one hour of highway towards Kanyakumari was excellent. That had highway eateries as well.
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2023, 17:21   #9
BHPian

Hello,
Can someone please tell me which is a better route of the two to go to kollam from Rameswaram, travelling with family so priority is safety and good rest stops on the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Kollam to Dhanushkodi, Rameswaram-route-rameswaram-kollam.jpg  

Old 19th March 2023, 21:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello,
Can someone please tell me which is a better route of the two to go to kollam from Rameswaram, travelling with family so priority is safety and good rest stops on the way.
Neither. I would prefer the longer route via Srivilliputhur/Madurai bypass and on to the Rameshwaram highway. It's 80-90km more but very clean and easy to drive.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks