Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 09:45   #1
BHPian

Route Query: Kutralam to Athirapally falls?

Guys

I'm leaving to Kutrallam in a few minutes. Post Kutrallam I intend to visit Athirampally falls and then Valparai.

Please suggest a scenic route with good roads from Kutrallam to Athirampally falls.

Kutrallam - Shenkottai - Thenmala - ?

Also please suggest roue from Athirampally to Valparai and then Chennai.

Between Athirampally and Valparai, I intend to take that popular route.

TIA
Old 20th June 2015, 10:33   #2
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Route Query: Kutralam to Athirapally falls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Also please suggest roue from Athirampally to Valparai and then Chennai.

Between Athirampally and Valparai, I intend to take that popular route.
Not sure about Kutrallam-Athirapilly route and road conditions, but for the rest you can do this:

Visit Athirapilly falls, then about 1-2Km ahead is Vazhachal falls. After this, proceed straight beyond forest checkpoint at Vahachal. They check and take a count of plastic items which will be rechecked/verified at the other checkpost at Malakkappara near Sholayar.
From Vazhachal check post, straight road through the forest will take you to Sholayar dam and then to Valparai. The other side of the ghat road from Valparai will take you to Aliyar Dam and then Pollachi. All the way from Vazhchal to Valparai and then Aliyar dam is very scenic

**Vazhchal and Malakkappara check posts may not allow vehicles beyond 6pm unless you have booked into one of the tea estate bungalows.

Last edited by NPV : 20th June 2015 at 10:36.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 15:34   #3
BHPian

Re: Route Query: Kutralam to Athirapally falls?

For Athirappilly to Valparai I dont think there are any choice for routes. The route suggested by NPV is the best option.

From Valparai to Chennai please try below route
Valparai - Pollachi - Ulundurpet - Chennai.
The roads are very good on this stretch.
Renjith_Mani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 15:48   #4
BHPian

The first choice through MC road .

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Co...5908!3e0?hl=en

The other through NH

https://www.google.co.in/maps/dir/Co...5908!3e0?hl=en
slalom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 16:31   #5
BHPian

I intend to take the first route. In the past have driven between Trivandrum and Cochin on the NH and would like to avoid that.

What about this route?

Kutrallam - Shenkottai - Thenmalla - Pathanapuram - Pathanamthitta - Manimala - Pala - Muvattupuzha - Perumbavoor - Athirapally

Coming to the first route you suggested - Is it all towns en-route? Will there be markings in English? I'm not using any electronic devices for navigation, so I wouldn't want to be moving in to each town and ask for directions. Say, the route you suggested pass through Thiruvalla, I guess it is a big town, how should I navigate once I reach Thiruvalla, and similarly in every other town in the route.

Between the route I mentioned and your first route, what is the difference?

Also, could you give me a route in points like,

Kutrallam - Shenkottai - Thenmalla - Kotarakara - Adoor - ?

Also, my mom likes shopping. So if possible, please suggest specialty places that sell, chips, souvenirs, choir products, etc. en-route. I don't mind taking minor detours.

Thanks

Last edited by CliffHanger : 20th June 2015 at 16:59.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:47   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Between the route I mentioned and your first route, what is the difference?
Also, could you give me a route in points like,
Also please take into account its monsoon time. It may be raining cats and dogs. As for route even I would prefer via Punalur-Ranny-Pala-Muvattupuzha. But I really dont how the condition is and how are rains these days.

The other option is via Kottayam. But then that should slow you down compared to the other option.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 08:57   #7
BHPian

The Pathanpuarm ,Pathanmthitta ,Pala route will be more scenic ,and runs through interior towns , unlike the MC road

The MC road route will be a straight with sign boards ,Kottarakara adoor ,Thrivalla,Angamaly ..Chalakudy , but it runs through towns .

I suggest the Pathanamthitta ,Ranny pala route which will be a feast for the eye.

Till now the rains are intermittent , not the usual heavy downpours.

I have no much idea about the shopping places .

Last edited by slalom : 21st June 2015 at 08:58. Reason: addition
slalom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 11:46   #8
BHPian

Took the following route -

Kutrallam - Shenkottai - Thenmalla - Pathanapuram - Pathanamthitta - Manimala - Pala - Muvattupuzha - Perumbavoor - Athirapally

The roads were good overall, except at Pala where there were fully broken roads for few kilometers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also please take into account its monsoon time. It may be raining cats and dogs.
It wasn't raining in Kutrallam, we were able to take long satisfying bath in the falls late in the night and early in the morning.

I generally take chances with the monsoon and have been lucky so far. This time too I was aware of the impeding heavy down pours due to the monsoon that has just begun. So I spread the trip to 3 different places -- Kutralam - Athirapally - Vaalparai -- while we were lucky for having a good time without the rain in the first two places, we weren't at Vaalparai, it was raining bulls and bears. So, in the few minutes it wasn't raining, we got content with a bit of shopping locally grown Tea and spices in Valparai and a drive to Koolangal river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
The Pathanpuarm ,Pathanmthitta ,Pala route will be more scenic ,and runs through interior towns , unlike the MC road
Yes, it indeed. Also, I felt like I was driving on a Sunday, because even the day being a Monday there was hardly few people on the road and most shops were closed till Pala.

Quote:
I have no much idea about the shopping places .
My mom purchased lots of Chips and other eateries from a store named Kerala(suggested by the locals), opposite to Indian Oil bunk(just after the bridge, coming from Pala), in Muvattupuzha. Throughout the rest of the drive we were munching them and they were very taste.

Also, bought Tea and spices from Vaalparai, which are yet to be tasted, Nentharam Palam and other fruits from locals in Athirapally - Valparai stretch, and the fruits were fresh and tasted completely natural.

Couldn't purchase anything more, as we had the time limit to reach Athirapally falls by 5 owing to it its closure for the day at that time.

Overall yet another great trip I and my family have done; Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

Last edited by CliffHanger : 24th June 2015 at 11:56.
CliffHanger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 11:37   #9
BHPian

How is the route from Guruvayur? Planning for a day trip from Guruvayur to athirapally in mid June.
Old 30th May 2017, 14:46   #10
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
How is the route from Guruvayur? Planning for a day trip from Guruvayur to athirapally in mid June.
I think route is fine, from Guruvayoor East Nada (straight from temple entrance) you can reach Choondal, turn right and the road will get you to Punkunnam junction from where you can continue straight and take the Trichur bypass road to hit NH47/544. Here, you need to turn right and head towards Mannuthy. After Mannuthy toll, at Chalakudy you need to turn left to go towards Athirapilly.
Old 30th May 2017, 16:31   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Guruvayur - Chavakkad - Moonnupeedika - Irinjalakkuda - Potta - Athirappilly is my suggestion as you can completely avoid Thrissur town, also toll at Paliyekkara. Distance wise no difference.
JohnnyBoss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks