Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2015, 10:05   #1
M35
BHPian

Palakkad (Kerala) to Indore (M.P.) - Route Query

I am thinking of a major road trip to Indore[M.P] from Palakkad [Kerala] next week.
  • Vehicle: Scorpio
  • Number of People on board: 4
  • Priority : Maximum 4-Lane roads and No night drives.

I was thinking of the following options:
Route 1:

Palakkad – Bangalore –Hubli – Satara- Lonad- Morgaon-Nagar- Shirdi- Manmad-NH3- Dhule- Indore.

Any update on the stretches highlighted above or any better alternatives to by-pass Pune city? I don’t mind some additional kilometers for better surfaces /less traffic.My major concern is connecting NH4 and NH3.
Route 2:

The same above route, but via Pune. But definitely don’t want to mess around within Pune city.
By-passing Pune: Kapurhole –Narayanpur-Bhiwadi- Nagar Road ?
Route 3

Is the route via Hyderabad any worth? I have done until Hyderabad and I loved NH-7. Is the Hyderabad-Indore stretch, 4-Laned ?

Thanks in advance
Manoj

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th June 2015 at 10:12.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2015, 14:00   #2
BHPian

re: Palakkad (Kerala) to Indore (M.P.) - Route Query

Route 2 is the best route of all.

Yes you can take the Kapurhole-Narayanpur- Bhiwadi-Saswad-Wadki-Fursungi-Magarpatta-Wagholi-Shirdi-Manmad Route.

There are some narrow roads and mild ghats on route from Kapurhole-Narayanpur- Bhiwadi-Saswad so be cautious about oncoming traffic but nothing to worry about. This will save you a lot of time,money and headache of waiting in the queue for Toll at Pune entrance and the whole Pune city traffic.

Magarpatta to Wagholi route will be full of traffic during evening due to office rush. But thats ok as thats the shortest route for Indore.

Earlier road conditions before Shirdi were not good, but it seems off late they have completed the road work and its good to go.

NH3 route is excellent without any problems. Just be careful while crossing small towns and villages. Rest its good to maintain 100-120 speeds.

Plan your stay according to your route. Cocoon hotel in Magarpatta falls exactly on your route. It has decent stay facilities, food is not great to talk about.

Palakkad- Bangalore 1st day
Bangalore - Pune 2nd Day
Pune - Indore - 3rd Day.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 13:12   #3
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Yes you can take the Kapurhole-Narayanpur- Bhiwadi-Saswad-Wadki-Fursungi-Magarpatta-Wagholi-Shirdi-Manmad Route.
Thanks for the detailed update.
I Assume that the Pune –Nagar stretch is 4-Laned. How about the stretch beyond until NH-3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Palakkad- Bangalore 1st day
Bangalore - Pune 2nd Day
Pune - Indore - 3rd Day.
With an early start, say 4.00 am, I should pass Bangalore way before Lunch and should hit Belgaum/Kohlapur for the Day -1 night halt. I have done this stretch multiple times, earlier.
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 18:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Thanks for the detailed update.
I Assume that the Pune –Nagar stretch is 4-Laned. How about the stretch beyond until NH-3 ?
Yes Pune- Nagar road is 4 lane and if you travel early morning it should be free of traffic too.

Make sure that you do not miss the left turn for Shirdi before Ahmednagar.

Ahmednagar Shirdi route is two lane but quite good enough and is having divider roads at many places.

The only grouse was the 20 km stretch before and after Shirdi which was full of big potholes. But the recent update from my friend suggests that majority of it has been taken care. All Pune- Indore Buses take this route too.

NH3 again is excellent.

Quote:
With an early start, say 4.00 am, I should pass Bangalore way before Lunch and should hit Belgaum/Kohlapur for the Day -1 night halt. I have done this stretch multiple times, earlier.
If you can reach Kolhapur 1st day and can again get up early next day, then you can reach Indore next day. So you can reach Indore in two days!

An early start from Kolhapur will give you the advantage of a clear NH4 and also a moderate traffic patch of Magarpatta- Wagholi.

I hope you are carrying a GPS, I would not want you to get lost in the patch between Kapurhol- Saswad. One can always ask in this segment for directions so no problem.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 07:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Palakkad – Bangalore –Hubli – Satara- Lonad- Morgaon-Nagar- Shirdi- Manmad-NH3- Dhule- Indore.
The Daund road (Satara-Daund-Nagar) is not at all great. You dont save much. Instead, going via Pune gives you a good logical option to break. So even from a stay point of view Pune makes more sense.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 12:39   #6
M35
BHPian

Re: Palakkad (Kerala) to Indore (M.P.) - Route Query

Update:

Covered close to 2000 km and am now in Indore.

Day 1
  • Palakkad- Bangalore [NiceRoad]- Hubli- Dharwad
  • Stay @ Hotel Hoysala, Dharwad
Started a bit late from Palakkad. Bad stretch after Walayar and waiting at various toll gates at L&T by-pass meant = slow progress initially.Lunch @ Sarawana Bhavan, Krishnagiri. Wasted half hour or so at NICE road toll gate. Morons on road with no road/civic sense made sure crossing of the gate a nightmare.Reached Dharwad at around 8.00 pm. Hotel Hoysala is in the town, about 6 km off NH-4. Due to the unavailability of AC suits/rooms [did not book earlier], had to settle for an ordinary room. But very happy with the cleanliness, parking and the Veg-restaurant= Recommended.

Day 2
  • Dharwad – Satara- Kapurhole[ Pune] – Narayanpur- Saswad-Wadki-Fursungi-Magarpatta- Nagar road- Nagar- Shirdi- Manmad- Malegaon- Dhule-Indore
Started off at around 6.00 am. Took off from the Highway at Kapurhole to by-Pass Pune traffic at noon. A bit bumpy + narrow roads via Narayanpur / Saswad and must have avoided some nasty Pune noon traffic. Even after joing the Nagar Road, first half hour was nothing short of crawling, thanks to non-existent civic sense among road users.

Had lunch at a restaurant on the Nagar road = quality of food nothing worth mentioning here.

Nagar Road is 4-Laned and a few kilometers before Nagar turned towards Shirdi. Soon, the newly laid 2-Lane road took us to Solapur-Aurangabad highway. It is somewhat 4-laned and crossed Shirdi easily, beyond which a nice and wide 2-lane stretch took us to Malegaon where we joined NH-3.
Had some light food at Hotel Lajjat at Dhule at around 8.00 pm. Reached home in Indore at around 11.45 pm. Anyone planning on this stretch, do take a break for food/stay at Dhule beyond which there is nothing in there at all. The worst part on this stretch on NH-3 is the speed breakers/ bumps all the way.
M35 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed