Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2018, 14:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Road-trip queries for Himachal Pradesh

Well without asking too many questions Ill give you a couple of choices. Based on your interest then can provide some alternative options to the choice that you make along with the addons for that destination. That's confusing enough? Yes, then lets go ahead.
Option 1: Laid back, full of small walks/treks with atleast one day full of beautiful long drive. Explore the Pabbar Valley. Stay options can be at Rohru (HPTDC hotel The Chanshal). Drive upto Chakrata on your way back to Delhi.
Option 2: Buddhist Circuit with Para Gliding. Explore Dharamshala, Bir, Billing and Rewalsar. It will be a complete circuit with excellent roads and beautiful views.
Option 3: Longish drives with a day each for rest and exploring the local sights. Not much to do except just drive through Himachal. Delhi-Shimla-Jalori-Tirthan-Mandi-Jogindernagar-Palampur-Kangra-Una-Chandigarh-Delhi. Few PoIs mainly religious ones and a couple of old forts along the way.
Option 4: Manali-Manikaran. Lots of tourist rush, ample costly shopping trips, over rated adventure activities.
Option 5: Chitkul and Sangla, nothing to do except take some long walks along alpine valleys and sit by the river banks doing what ever that you like to do when you have nothing else to do.

Choose any of the above and we can discuss the details and other similar type of options.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 15:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Choose any of the above and we can discuss the details and other similar type of options.
I'm looking for mostly laid back options. Don't want a hectic trip , want to relax for the most part of it .

#1 or #5 definitely sound appealing .
Old 9th July 2018, 16:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'm looking for mostly laid back options. Don't want a hectic trip , want to relax for the most part of it .

#1 or #5 definitely sound appealing .
Then you are in luck as you can easily combine both the options for an excellent week in the hills. Bookings can be done on line for both the destinations. I suggest you go to Rohru first and then onto Sangla.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 22:26   #34
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a road trip to Himachal Pradesh with family during Christmas time by road. The itinerary is as follows

Road-trip queries for Himachal Pradesh-hp-trip.jpg

As we are traveling with two 5 years old kids and first time in HP, request your suggestions if this will be too hectic.
Old 23rd October 2018, 18:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Try to stay at Chandigarh overnight. Simla to Amritsar may become too tiring especially for the kids.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 07:33   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musafir_blr View Post
Hi,

I am planning a road trip to Himachal Pradesh with family during Christmas time by road. The itinerary is as follows

Attachment 1810464

As we are traveling with two 5 years old kids and first time in HP, request your suggestions if this will be too hectic.
Any specific reason for going to Manali first? Because after Manali you are coming down to Shimla and then again going northwards to Dalhousie.

In my opinion you can consider Chandigarh - Shimla - Manali - Dalhousie - Amritsar - Chandigarh. This will reduce the trip by around 200 Kms as well.

Also, it would be better to stay in Kufri/Chail than the congested Shimla, especially during the december vacation time.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 11:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Any specific reason for going to Manali first? Because after Manali you are coming down to Shimla and then again going northwards to Dalhousie.

In my opinion you can consider Chandigarh - Shimla - Manali - Dalhousie - Amritsar - Chandigarh. This will reduce the trip by around 200 Kms as well.

Also, it would be better to stay in Kufri/Chail than the congested Shimla, especially during the december vacation time.
Hi Arun,

Thanks for your reply. We are not doing Dalhousie anymore. So, the current plan is:
Blr - Chg. 1 night halt in Chg,
Chg - Tirthan Valley. 2 nights halt in Tirthan valley
Tirthan valley - Manali. 3 nights in Manali
Manali - Shimla. 3 nights halt in Shimla
Shimla - Chg. 1 night in Chg
Chg - Amritsar - Chg and back to Blr

Couple of factors behind this itinerary - our friends with whom we are travelling have already visited dalhousie and amritsar earlier. So we want to cover as much as possible together and then we separate - they go back home and we continue to Amritsar. Dalhousie was dropped due to paucity of time and the above factor.

Thanks for your suggestion on staying in chail or kufri. Let me see if I can convince others

One question - we want to do an offbeat location along with Shimla/Manali. That is why we have selected Tirthan valley. Please advise if Tirthan valley is a good idea in the last week of December along with little kids, in terms of weather, infrastructure, road conditions?
Old 26th October 2018, 12:04   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion on staying in chail or kufri. Let me see if I can convince others

One question - we want to do an offbeat location along with Shimla/Manali. That is why we have selected Tirthan valley. Please advise if Tirthan valley is a good idea in the last week of December along with little kids, in terms of weather, infrastructure, road conditions?
I have not been to Tirthan valley, but I have come across nice reviews about this place. In my opinion offbeat locations are better than the crowded tourist locations.

There few travelogues in teambhp on Tirthan valley, you can check those for more information.
Old 26th October 2018, 12:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tirthan is not offbeat anymore. Sure you won't get Shimla/Manali kinda chaos but lots of hotels/guest houses available in the valley now. You can trek up to some of the popular destinations in the GHNP, the local hotel folks will be able to guide you. You can also go trout fishing (not sure if it's allowed in Dec), with a permit from the Fisheries dept office of course. Fairly easy to get, if the hotel can arrange some fishing rods/guide for you. ATB!

Weather is more or less similar to what you would get in Manali. It seems like winter is setting in early this year, so could snow around the last week Dec.
Old 23rd February 2019, 20:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hello All - A few of my office colleagues are going on an all woman trip to McLeod Gunj. All they know is they want to visit Dharamshala, and they have their flights booked to Chandigarh, and plan to stay there for 3 nights at Dharamshala.

Help needed as below :

1. Any contacts for a very reliable Taxi / Travels from Chandigarh that they can hire ? This will be with driver ( not self drive )
2. What are the must do at McLeod ?
3. I am not sure if there is enough for 3 nights there, is so, what other near by places or options ? Could Dalhousie be an option?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 24th February 2019, 10:49   #41
BHPian

We have been to Dharamshala in October 2018.

You may please contact Shibu +91 78320 42612, who drives Tata Zest. Very sincere and knowledgeable driver in that belt. His partner has few more vehicles. Don't have his contact.

McLeod market, Bhagsu falls, Bhagsunath temple, Tiberian Museum, dharamkot, Namgyal monastery, Triund Trek (if weather permits), Dal Lake, St.Jhons church are some of the 'not to be missed' spots.

Dharamshala stadium is a must to have awesome view of snow capped peaks in the background.

3 nights are enough and McLeod must be under snow by now. Happy travelling 👍

Last edited by tstlnt : 24th February 2019 at 10:52.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hello All - A few of my office colleagues are going on an all woman trip to McLeod Gunj. All they know is they want to visit Dharamshala, and they have their flights booked to Chandigarh, and plan to stay there for 3 nights at Dharamshala.

Help needed as below :

1. Any contacts for a very reliable Taxi / Travels from Chandigarh that they can hire ? This will be with driver ( not self drive )
2. What are the must do at McLeod ?
3. I am not sure if there is enough for 3 nights there, is so, what other near by places or options ? Could Dalhousie be an option?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
The food and the views.

#1 Food: McLeod has a lot of great food. From Morgan's for Pizza, Italian at Jimmy's to The Tibet Kitchen for some momo's. Great coffee (and Pancakes) are available dime a dozen but Illiterati is a must go. One can spend hours just enjoying the views from this cafe.

#2 Views: A lot of good trails to get lost in. There is one from McLeod to Naddi. Then you have the Triund trek or one can just walk around Dharamkot.

To Do: The monastery

To Skip: Bhagsunag

About the 3 nights, if the idea is just to unwind, its easy to spend 3 nights in McLeod. One could do day trips to Palampur to see some tea estates or go to Bir for Paragliding if these sound fun.
Old 24th February 2019, 12:11   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post

Dalhousie is 3-4 hours from Dharamshala, so in my opinion it is really not worth for a day trip. Instead, as mentioned by akshaymahajan, they can try Bir.

Even otherwise, I would prefer Khajjiar over Dalhousie.
Old 24th February 2019, 18:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Tstlnt, Arun and Akshay - thanks heaps and much appreciate your inputs. These are very useful.

@tstlnt: I'll call up Shibu and close. Thanks again.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 23:35   #45
BHPian

I am planning to go on a road trip for a period of 7 days in Himachal Pradesh. I am not looking for a offbeat vacation and want to do the normal tourist circuit.
I understand it is going to be crowded but if I have to visit Manali I can only do it in May/June as this is the only time I can get a weeks leave from work.
So can someone please advice me a circuit? i will be starting from New Delhi at 12.30 AM on 26th (Sunday) and have to be back by midnight on 1st June in Delhi.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2019 at 23:52. Reason: Post fixed. Spacing, grammar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks