Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2023, 18:27   #106
BHPian

Re: Road-trip queries for Himachal Pradesh

Does anyone have any idea about the road conditions in Himachal right now? I am planning to do a road trip from Chandigarh to Jibhi, Himachal or if things work out, Kaza too, coming mid September. Is it safe? What are the current conditions?

Thank you for the help.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:31   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Does anyone have any idea about the road conditions in Himachal right now? I am planning to do a road trip from Chandigarh to Jibhi, Himachal or if things work out, Kaza too, coming mid September. Is it safe? What are the current conditions?

Thank you for the help.
Hey, It is better to stay at home or plan a trip to some other place this summer as landslides are still happening, and September is expected to bring more rain. You can plan your Himachal trip next year when it is safe.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 13:08   #108
BHPian

Hello.

I am planning a trip to Himachal from 15th to 25th of March 2024. I have planned a rough itinerary as below;

Mangalore to Chandigarh - Flight
Chandigarh - Take a self drive car
Chandigarh - Dalhousie
Dalhousie - Dharamsala
Dharamsala - Manali
Manali - Shimla
Shimla - Chandigarh (Return Vehicle)
Chandigarh - Mangalore - Flight

There will be 3 of us. Need help regarding must see places, Hotels/resorts to stay ( Budget Rs 5000 - 10000 per night), Good self drive car hire places, etc. Daughter is keen on snow activities. Tripadvisor forum says probability of snow near Manali, Solang. Itinerary is flexible. Had planned the other way round i.e from Chandigarh to Shimla and finally back to Chandigarh from Dalhousie, but felt that longest drive of 7 hours can be done with the first stage itself and then gradually all short drives.
Old 10th April 2024, 17:32   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nityaya View Post
Hello.

I am planning a trip to Himachal from 15th to 25th of March 2024. I have planned a rough itinerary as below;

Mangalore to Chandigarh - Flight
Chandigarh - Take a self drive car
Chandigarh - Dalhousie
Dalhousie - Dharamsala
Dharamsala - Manali
Manali - Shimla
Shimla - Chandigarh (Return Vehicle)
Chandigarh - Mangalore - Flight

There will be 3 of us. Need help regarding must see places, Hotels/resorts to stay ( Budget Rs 5000 - 10000 per night), Good self drive car hire places, etc. Daughter is keen on snow activities. Tripadvisor forum says probability of snow near Manali, Solang. Itinerary is flexible. Had planned the other way round i.e from Chandigarh to Shimla and finally back to Chandigarh from Dalhousie, but felt that longest drive of 7 hours can be done with the first stage itself and then gradually all short drives.

Hi,

Did you complete this trip ? what is your view on the road conditions and time taken to travel between the cities.

I am planning a trip in 3rd week of May to cover Dharamshala, Manali and Shimla. The below is the tentative itinerary:

Day 1 - Gurgaon to Chandigarh
Day 2 - Chandigarh to Dharamshala
Day 3 - Dharamshala
Day 4 - Dharamshala to Manali
Day 5 & 6 - in Manali - plan to do day trips to Manikaran and Sissu from Manali
Day 7 - Manali to mashobra
Day 8 - In Mashobra
Day 9 - Drive to grugaon.

Any suggestions from other members who have taken this route ? I will be traveling with my wife and dog.
Old 11th April 2024, 12:22   #110
BHPian

Hi. Yes we completed the trip with one change. We dropped Dalhousie from our itinerary. We went from Chandigarh to Dharamshala first. From Dharamshala to Shimla. Shimla to Manali. And finally Manali to Chandigarh.

The link for the route taken from Chandigarh to Dharamshala is given below;

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TvazLU5WLsMzMVNTA

There is road construction work going on from Kangra onwards and the progress is very slow. Overall route is ok.

The route we took from Dharamshala to Shimla is shared below;

https://maps.app.goo.gl/svVeLShYh1ja5tfU7

If you are going to Manali from Dharamshala then you will not be going via this route. Just for your information there is lot of road works going on and the travel is tiring.

Shimla to Manali route

https://maps.app.goo.gl/XUE8t1deKaQyfAtGA

For this route I would suggest you to consult with different taxi drivers and reconfirm the best road to take. Google took us through Beri-Navgaon road which was too narrow and condition also not that good. Average speed i could maintain was 20-30 kph. Crossing Mandi also takes a lot of time. You get 4 lane in between and also some very long tunnels. When we were traveling there was a huge block before Pandoh Dam and we were stuck in slow moving traffic for 2 hours. We had booked The Allure grand for 2 days and Span resort for 2 days. Allure is after your Mall road junction towards Solang Valley and enroute there are 2-3 sections which were washed out last year and are yet to be repaired completely. 30 - 45 minutes each time was the minimum to cross this patch. Sissu had opened for 4 wheel drive vehicles just a few days before we reached Manali. We had planned to go to Solang Valley and from there to Atal tunnel and Sissu. But in Solang valley there is no proper parking and all tourist and private vehicles park alongside the road and this caused a huge traffic jam where again we got stuck for almost 1 1/2 hours. I cannot imagine the situation during peak tourist season. Ultimately we parked our car and trekked towards the activity areas. Atal tunnel was dropped. If you do plan to visit Solang valley I would suggest you to leave by 8.00 am so that you will not get much traffic.

Again Manali to Chandigarh is 4 lane most of part and is a comfortable drive.

Do let me know if you have any more queries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks