Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2006, 10:49   #1

Mumbai-Goa:midway halt reqd?

Hello,
We are planning an extended week end trip from Mumbai to Goa around 1st Oct.[we=self and wife]
Though the distance is only 600km which can be covered in a day's drive,the presence of 6 ghat sections
makes me wonder if it is advisable to halt on the way.
We both drive but senior citizens and the car is Santro.
Pl advise and the place to halt and hotel name.
Thank you in advance,
v_sukumar.
Old 19th September 2006, 11:33   #2
BANNED

Hi,

Chiplun is an ideal place to break journey and has a couple o fgood resorts as well. If you resume from Chiplun at around 6an you can reach Goa in time for lunch.

Viper
Old 19th September 2006, 12:25   #3
BANNED

If you reach Chiplun too early in the day and don't want to stop, you can carry on till Ratnagiri, which has a few of decent, clean motels.

Ratnagiri is about 3 hours away from Goa approx.
Old 19th September 2006, 18:14   #4
BHPian

Pune to Goa took about 10 hours in a Skoda Laura, for a young couple I know, about a week back.

And no matter what, dont go via Belgaum. You will have to turn back.
Old 19th September 2006, 19:22   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you leave early (before sunrise) and beat the traffic...you should comfortably reach goa by lunch time. Or a little after.

However, if you leave only around 7 - 8 am....then a mid-way halt is recommended. The last 4 times I went to Goa, I drove there. And didnt take any overnight halts.
Old 19th September 2006, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Leave by 5 and u ll be in goa by around 2 o clock+/- an hour.
Old 20th September 2006, 18:46   #7
BHPian

I have made the trip both ways without a halt but since you have senior citizens and a santro, i would suggest stopping someplace. Night drive can be little tricky on that route especially with the volvo busses breathing down you on the ghats. If you keep up speed, its a 9 hour trip.
Old 21st September 2006, 10:29   #8
BHPian

I have driven five times to Goa in the past and find the following the best routine:

1) Leave Mumbai at around 5am.
2) Breakfast stop at Hotel Visaka Mahad at around 8-9 am
3) Fuel stop at Chiplun - G.B. Mehta a BPCL pump. Fuel quality seems decent. You should reach Chiplun at around 12.30-1 pm. You may decide to have lunch there. We normally carry snacks and avoid a heavy lunch which may make you feel drowsy.
4) Straight to Goa with a stop in-between to stretch out and relax.

If you drive at a relaxed pace, you'll reach Goa by around 4-5 pm i.e. around 11-12 hrs with plenty of pit stops to stretch, pee etc. If you are not one to stop often (like me) and whose objective is to reach as soon as possible without any risky driving, then 10 hours is good enough. There is'nt any need to stop over on the way unless you want to enjoy some scenery (especially during the monsoon), in which case Chiplun is a good place to halt. But you'll be driving in the evening and that does'nt make sense. If you leave at 5 am, you won't get much traffic on the way.

Enjoy your trip. Its a wonderful drive.
Old 1st October 2008, 16:00   #9
BHPian

Mumbai - Goa - Mumbai route options?

Planning a trip from Mumbai to Goa and back in a fortnight's time. Can anybody give me the various route options and the latest on road conditions? I am not planning to drive at night, so any suggestions on start time and places for overnight halt, if any, would be welcome.

Thanks.

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st October 2008 at 16:27. Reason: Search please
Old 1st October 2008, 20:23   #10
BHPian

@rrs1951 - 2 routes that I prefer. 1st is the the old fav, NH17, leave @ 05:00 or as early as you can, should be in North Goa by 15:00 all this in a "non-rush" easy mode. Most of the trucks avoid this road so the traffic is peaceful.Road conditions after monsoons???? No idea.
2nd route is to get on the bombay pune expressway, from pune you take NH-4 from pune via katraj-kolhapur go upto nipani just after nipani town take a right turn(no need to go till belgaum) and go via Ajra-amboli till sawantwadi(NH-17) from sawantwadi you will pass through goa border much better roads, and no traffic did this route around the same time last year, as most of the trip (bombay till Nipani) is on 4 lane highways, good speeds and peace of mind.

All the best and have a good time
Old 2nd October 2008, 02:28   #11
BHPian

First of all i salute the spirit of doing a road trip by you!! The NH 17 as pointed out is shorter but has a lot of twisting and turning road and has many blind spot s . The road after monsoon is bound to be broken at patche s but the only boon on this road is huge truck s avoid this road due to it s nature, i do this road atleast twice a year but have nt done this year due to unavoidable reasons. If for some reason you cannot start early as suggested 0500 hr s then it shaould be done with a break at chiplun but however if u start at 0500 or earlier it is a pleasure to avoid the traffic and also the trafic at panvel and mahad !! The poladpur cut {which take s you to mahableshwar )immediately take s you to a ghat which i have never yet seen in a decent condition till date it s alwa sy broken however after passing that you rerach chiplun in no time after chiplun the road s change dramatically and it is nice stretch to cover time however finding no traffic and if you have a lunnch in chiplun it make s u feel sleepy be very alert at this section !! you can also fuel up at chiplun it s rougly 235 km s from mumbai the amount of time taken to cover this 235 will be approx 5- 6 hr s what is amazing is the balance 350 km s also take s almost same time to cover !!! The ghat s 5 or 6 in number as u posted are nt a trobule at all . Hope i did int confuse you ground rule just start 0430 hr s or max by 0500 hr s you would nt need a halt at chiplun. Have a safe and memorable trip s and do post photos and road condition
Regards
sAAjaN

Last edited by m-hawk : 2nd October 2008 at 02:32.
Old 2nd October 2008, 03:08   #12
Team-BHP Support

Ganpatipule

Ganpatipule is another decent overnight stop.

Ganpatipule's famous for a Ganesh temple and a nice beach.
Tere was an MTDC resort there - it probably still exists. The resort offers canoe rides on a nearby lake. Ofcourse, my knowledge about Ganpatipule is more than 15 years old.

Else, just leave Mumbai around 5:00 am (no later) and you'll comfortably reach by 2:00 / 3:00 pm with a couple of breaks. If both of you drive, then even better.
Old 7th October 2008, 01:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Ganpatipule is another decent overnight stop.

Ganpatipule's famous for a Ganesh temple and a nice beach.
Tere was an MTDC resort there - it probably still exists. The resort offers canoe rides on a nearby lake. Ofcourse, my knowledge about Ganpatipule is more than 15 years old.

Else, just leave Mumbai around 5:00 am (no later) and you'll comfortably reach by 2:00 / 3:00 pm with a couple of breaks. If both of you drive, then even better.
Oh yes the MTDC is very much there and the lake which you mention adjacent to it was there very much there right uptil 2004 when i visited it !! But the sort of facilities is just about ok !! Taking a halt and driving 40 plus km s from the highway and driving it back in morning does nt appeal to me at all ! Best would be just leave at 0500hrs in the morning or earlier !!!
Regards
SaaJAn
Old 7th October 2008, 01:35   #14
Team-BHP Support

40km?

Is it really that far from the highway!
Yes, I don't think thats a very appealing proposition then!
Old 7th October 2008, 02:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

NH17 if you love driving. While going to Goa, we went via the Mumbai-Pune expressway, and while returning, we took NH17. Both took approximately the same amount of time (12 hours or so in a Santro + Honda City @ 80-100kmph on average). Leave early, pack in a few snacks, lot of water and some sugar-rich healthy drinks like juices. Can't comment on good places to eat since we stopped wherever/whenever we felt hungry. Chiplun is a good bet to find decent food and hotel if it's getting dark and you want to stop over for the night.

Don't forget to take a camera if you're going via NH17. Good luck and have a safe journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks