Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 14:29   #1
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Dodra Kwar to Netwar (via Govind Pashu Vihar Sanctuary)

I searched the forum for a Chanshal Pass and Dodra Kwar Route Query thread but could not get one. So posting a new thread for my query.

Is there an accessible motorable road between Dodra and Netwar through the Govind Pashu Vihar Wildlife Sanctuary? Any permits required for the same?

I am planning to do the Paonta Sahib - Chakrata - Hatkoti - Rohru - Larot - Chanshal Pass - Dodra Kwar - Netwar - Purola - Paonta Sahib circuit on a motorcycle in September 1st week assuming that it will be a good time to do this circuit.

Google Maps shows a 30 km route from Dodra to Netwar via the Govind Pashu Vihar Wildlife Sanctuary but I am not able to get any info if this route is accessible for motorists.

Last year in December I had been to Sankri which lies inside the Wildlife Sanctuary in a rented cab. After crossing Purola, me and the driver of the vehicle had to enter our personal details at a checkpost while entering the Wildlife Sanctuary and had to pay a refundable entry fee.

But the driver belonged from Sankri so I am not too sure if other private registered vehicles will be allowed via the same procedure in the Dodra-Kwar to Netwar sector as well.

Also, if allowed, is September 1st week a good time to attempt Chanshal Pass?

Awaiting inputs for the same.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:10   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Dodra Kwar to Netwar (via Govind Pashu Vihar Sanctuary)

Once you reach the villages the road head ends. From Netwar on UK side I think you can get to Dhaula by vehicle.
GPS coordinates of Dhaula:
31°07'54.8"N 78°04'36.8"E

From Dhaula, I do not think you can drive to Dodra Kwar etc.,

Some googling brought up this image of the bridge, which definitely is not motorable
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...46815371183634

So attempt Chansal, and then you have to rough it out. September is a good season devoid of any snow
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 17:18   #3
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Once you reach the villages the road head ends. From Netwar on UK side I think you can get to Dhaula by vehicle.
GPS coordinates of Dhaula:
31°07'54.8"N 78°04'36.8"E

From Dhaula, I do not think you can drive to Dodra Kwar etc.,

Some googling brought up this image of the bridge, which definitely is not motorable
https://plus.google.com/photos/photo...46815371183634

So attempt Chansal, and then you have to rough it out. September is a good season devoid of any snow
Thanks a lot Tanveer Sir.

This September I'm planning to do a quick 4-day ride to either Chakrata, Chanshal Pass & Dodra-Kwar ex-Delhi or else to Valparai, Munnar & Vazhanchal ex-Bangalore. As of now, I am a little confused as both are tempting routes.

I have been to Valparai and Munnar multiple times in the past so maybe I will go ahead with the Chanshal Pass plan this September.

But the lovely traffic-free ghat roads of Valparai keep me calling back for more, hence the confusion !
Old 20th May 2016, 17:57   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Thanks a lot Tanveer Sir.

This September I'm planning to do a quick 4-day ride to either Chakrata, Chanshal Pass & Dodra-Kwar ex-Delhi or else to Valparai, Munnar & Vazhanchal ex-Bangalore. As of now, I am a little confused as both are tempting routes.

I have been to Valparai and Munnar multiple times in the past so maybe I will go ahead with the Chanshal Pass plan this September.

But the lovely traffic-free ghat roads of Valparai keep me calling back for more, hence the confusion !
How many days you have. To get to Rohru you will need atleast 3 days of driving. Its about 10 hours from Delhi
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 21:47   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
How many days you have. To get to Rohru you will need atleast 3 days of driving. Its about 10 hours from Delhi
I had the following itinerary in mind:

Day 1 : Delhi - Paonta Sahib - Chakrata

Day 2: Chakrata - Rohru - Larot

Day 3: Larot - Chanshal Pass - Dodra - Netwar

Day 4: Netwar - Purola - Mussourie

Day 5: Mussourie - Delhi

Now since doing Chanshal Pass - Netwar is out of question, if I go ahead with this trip then I will do Delhi - Theog - Shelapani - Rohru - Chanshal Pass and back via Hatkoti, Chakrata and Paonta Sahib to Delhi over 5-6 days.
Old 22nd May 2016, 23:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can cross Chanshal to Dodra Kwar and then return back the same way as proposed by you. Instead of Rohru drive upto the foot of the the pass Sandhashu for the night. Also on your way back instead of going towards chakrata you can go towards Nerwa. A nigḫt stop at Sarain is also recomended for the sole temple of Bijat Maharaj along the Churdhar ranges. Next day you can return via Dakpathar- Dehradun or continue to Shillai- Renuka-Nahan- Kalaamb- Yamunagar-Delhi route.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 22nd May 2016 at 23:23.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks