Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2006, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Mumbaikars Please HELP

I am driving to mumbai on the 20th of October from Bangalore, I have been booked inti NSCI(National Sports Club Of India) for stay. I wanted to know whther this place is good and since I am ther in the weekend do the rooms have a cable connection, I tried calling and asking but it was of no use.

What are the places I should visit, somebody told me Siddhi Vinayak temple was close to this place I am staying, I also want to visit the Maha Lakshmi temple,

Please let me know

1. Shopping( Fashion Street) Dos and donts

2. Jazz by the bay (is there a dress code,where is it, worth going

3. Malls

Old 13th October 2006, 12:40   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This place is closer to the Mahalaxmi temple than the siddhi vinayak. You can in fact walk to the mahalaxmi temple, it is a pleasant sea face walk.

Not so far away is also a brand new shopping mall called Atria. You will find it has a Rolls Royce dealership on the ground floor and a JBL store on the 3rd. (Sounds like reason enough to me lol). You can also go to phoenix mills, where you can shop, eat and generally spend half a pleasant day.
Jazz by the bay has no dress code, as long as you wear full pants (can be trouble for me sometimes). The place is ok, not known for it's great food but easy, fun ambience and Karaoke (if that's your thing)
There's a million zillion restaurants to go to. Read here for more.
Old 13th October 2006, 12:42   #3
BHPian

Thank you , but do you have any idea on the Club I am staying????also how easy is it to drive around Mumbai or the taxi is prefeered,

Is the road to shirdi good
Old 13th October 2006, 12:47   #4
BANNED

Hi,

Sam has already answered most of your questions. All rooms in NSCI hace Cable TV if thats what you referring to as well as a telephone connection. They are very good rooms in fact.

Viper
Old 13th October 2006, 12:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, the club you are staying is convenient and a nice place to stay. I have no idea about the road between Bombay and Shirdi, but I hear it's OK.
Driving around Mumbai can be tiresome for a newbie to the city. Parking can be a pain, it's not like bangalore where you can find parking everywhere for 10 rupees. Driving is OK, but since you are new to the city, I recommend you catch a taxi and tell him where you want to go. Remember, go strictly by the meter and always as for a tariff card.
If the cabbie refuses to show you the tariff card, refuse to pay and walk off. it is your right. Generally ofcourse, Bombay taximen are a friendly bunch. Also remember to take down the number of every taxi you are in (you will find the number written close to the dashboard after you sit inside)
This will be useful in case you forget something inside.
Old 13th October 2006, 13:00   #6
BHPian

what area is NSCI in, I think I will be entering Mumbai from the easter expressway, what is the area and closest landmark to this place, also a list of Dos, and donts in Mumbai please
Old 13th October 2006, 13:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

As said before, NSCI is in Mahalaxmi. It is on the sea face, opposite Haji Ali. It is a convenient location, to visit both South Mumbai and the suburbs.

The entire information on team-BHP 10 times over would not cover the do's and don't in Mumbai. Welcome, enjoy your stay and use common-sense.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:43   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
This place is closer to the Mahalaxmi temple than the siddhi vinayak. You can in fact walk to the mahalaxmi temple, it is a pleasant sea face walk.

Not so far away is also a brand new shopping mall called Atria. You will find it has a Rolls Royce dealership on the ground floor and a JBL store on the 3rd.

Jazz by the bay has no dress code, as long as you wear full pants (can be trouble for me sometimes)..
a) you can even use the race coruse for a run. NSCI shares a common wall with the race course.

b) Next to JBL there is Apple as well. between these 2 stores you can quite easily entertained. Dont blame me if you endup buying something.

c) Jazz by the way does not have a particular dress code. you can sit in the patio outside in shorts but to enter it you must wear long pants and shoes or be part of the band (they have live bands). The food is so so. The music can depend on the DJ/band. Follow Sam's lead on the party places.
Old 13th October 2006, 14:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

the road between mumbai and nasik isnt really great, was there a few weeks back.
road from nasik to shirdi is just about 'ok', was there earlier this year.
NSCI is nice place to stay with 3 restaurants, besides a couple of lounges and a whole lotta sports facilities.

manson.
Old 13th October 2006, 15:05   #10

dont drink and drive,enjoy the sea breeze,go to High street Phoenix at parel,JAZZ by the BAY is at MARINE DRIVE, and yes do go to Viceroy at NSCI Chambers for the sunday brunch.Also go to Bandra lots of eateries out there,..shopping i would recommend Bandra,, but u got to BARGAIN BIG TIME....... Have a nice stay

u can contact Mr Nagpal at NSCI new wing CHAMBERS,,022-24977773. all rooms are very decent around 2.500/- a day. good service, good food at VICEROY, do go for the sunday brunch there..

Last edited by adya33 : 13th October 2006 at 17:04.
Old 13th October 2006, 17:22   #11
BHPian

Thanks guys, I am really happy with all the suggestions I got, btw is there a TEAM BHP meet for mumbai during that weekend??? would love to be a part of it
Old 13th October 2006, 17:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth
Thanks guys, I am really happy with all the suggestions I got, btw is there a TEAM BHP meet for mumbai during that weekend??? would love to be a part of it
Dude, you do surf the forum don't you? I thought this was one of the most widely read threads in recent times - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...awns-beer.html

Sam, Elf, N_C & others.....take good care of him!
Old 16th October 2006, 13:01   #13
elf
BANNED

Goes without saying... All outtatowners get the phull royal tritmant.

Coming, suman?
Old 16th October 2006, 13:09   #14
BANNED

Elf.. he meant take care of him in a NON MAFIA SORT OF WAY!!!
I hope you realise that!
@S.prashant..See you at the meet.. and you can tell all of us how you got to get your picture taken with that short white haired man in your profile..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks