Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your first choice of accommodation?
Hotel / Resort 140 72.92%
Rent a house or apartment (e.g. airbnb) 20 10.42%
Homestay at a local's place 21 10.94%
A friend's / relative's place 7 3.65%
SUV / Tent / Caravan / Outdoors 4 2.08%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 11:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Holiday Stay Options: Hotel, House Rental, Homestay or someplace else?

My vote goes to Hotel/Resort.

The reason is simple, I go for outing tours to enjoy the "newness" that the locality provides. As such, most of the time is spent in visiting various places throughout the day and use the room for sleep, showers and may be for breakfast and dinner.

The primary factors that come into mind while selecting the place for stay are accessibility, budget, safety, cleanliness and amenities. A decent Hotel/ Resort is specifically designed to take care of these factors. The tourist can spend his / her vacation without having to worry much about anything else except for paying the tariff.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 11:43   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for hotel/resort since 9 times out of 10 that is where we book. Reasons:
  • Quality of deliverables is standard and pretty much guaranateed
  • Breakfast-inclusive package works best when we are visiting a place mostly to see the sights and are away through the day.
  • Room service for those late dinner cravings!
  • Generally centrally located with good connectivity
  • Kids can be kept busy in the pool, library, activity centre etc.

With airbnb taking root firmly even in India, that is increasingly becoming a serious contender for top spot. Especially when travelling with other families. For example, we are doing a 2-night stay later this month in a 4-bedroom mansion with two other families. The cost per family is easily a neat 60-70% savings on booking in a hotel. Plus it will enable us to spend a lot more time together than a hotel would, since we don't plan to get out much!

Homestay has never been something that appealed to me, though I have heard great things especially in places where hotels are scarce/expensive. Outdoors is not for me- can undertake any hardship in the daytime so long as I have a clean comfortable place to sleep at night!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 11:47   #33
BHPian

I'm doing a road trip from Chennai with wife, 2 kids and my mother-in-law this weekend and it is a combination of almost all the choices.

Bangalore - Mother-in-law's house, only a night's stay so real easy and we pick her up for the trip and head to Sringeri early next morning.

Sringeri - Home stay. Kanaka Heritage comes highly recommended by my parents. Supposedly good home cooked food and close to the temple.

Mysore - Hotel - just one night booked through Air BNB en route Ooty from Kollur.

Ooty - Sterling Resorts - 3 nights of relaxing and sightseeing before driving back to Chennai.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 11:16   #34
BHPian

When travelling with my family I always prefer a hotel/resort on a larger scale. I never stayed in any home stay and experienced it. I am neither comfortable staying at any friends place. When travelling as a group of families, we prefer renting a home or apartment since we can stay together and enjoy. So voted for hotel/resort.
Old 31st August 2022, 16:08   #35
BHPian

Just stumbled on this thread. I noticed that quite a few folks who post their travelogs on TBHP stay at home stays. Never used this option before, but just wanted to collect some inputs on how one can locate and book homestays, and prior to booking, how to establish the quality of homestay to avoid a poor experience?
Old 31st August 2022, 16:15   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Just stumbled on this thread. I noticed that quite a few folks who post their travelogs on TBHP stay at home stays. Never used this option before, but just wanted to collect some inputs on how one can locate and book homestays, and prior to booking, how to establish the quality of homestay to avoid a poor experience?
All prominent holiday booking sites allow you to select Homestays in the search filter. Makemytrip/Yatra etc have it prominently on the homepage:

Name:  Screenshot_5.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  26.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_6.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  18.4 KB
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks