Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2017, 11:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Homestay for a group of 16 at Matthuga (near Jog Falls)?

Hello All,

We, a close group of 8 college friends are planning to get together during Sept 30-Oct 2nd or from Oct 19th - Oct-21st. The dates nor the place is yet decided. The onus of selecting a place to stay is on me and I definitely need help for the same. Hence this topic. Our requirements are :

1. Good hygienic place of stay as few of us have young kids ( <1 year).
2. Should be able to accommodate at-least 14 adults and 4 kids (all under 3 years).
3. Place should have some outdoor activity area for the kids . If it has a swimming pool/or if the property is on the river bank then its an added bonus for us adults.
4. Budget should not be very high. Say around 2500-3000 including food.
5. Since we all are planning to drive and go, should have good parking place.
6. Places that we are looking for is either chikkamagaluru or jog falls. If nothing from those places are available then coorg is the last option.

I had shortlisted Matthuga near jog falls but the place is not available for those days. Any suggestions would be very helpful for me to finalize.

P.S : Mods, please merge if there is already an existing thread.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 14th July 2017 at 11:42.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Homestay for a group of 16 at Matthuga (near Jog Falls)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Hello All,

6. Places that we are looking for is either chikkamagaluru or jog falls. If nothing from those places are available then coorg is the last option.

I had shortlisted Matthuga near jog falls but the place is not available for those days. Any suggestions would be very helpful for me to finalize.

You can check, http://www.beanstalkbagmane.com
Some pics here in my travelogue, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3828496

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2017 at 14:44. Reason: Typo...
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 11:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thanks Arun for the suggestion. Infact I had checked this but I saw that there are only 2 rooms available and was not sure if we all can fit in. We will be a group of 14 adults and 4 kids.
Old 14th July 2017, 11:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

We, a close group of 8 college friends are planning to get together during Sept 30-Oct 2nd or from Oct 19th - Oct-21st. The dates nor the place is yet decided. The onus of selecting a place to stay is on me and I definitely need help for the same. Hence this topic. Our requirements are :

2. Should be able to accommodate at-least 14 adults and 4 kids (all under 3 years).
3. Place should have some outdoor activity area for the kids . If it has a swimming pool/or if the property is on the river bank then its an added bonus for us adults.

Most of them Homestays would be able to meet your requirements barring the 3rd one, especially Swimming Pools as they are either not too popular or the Homestays do not have that infrastructure and folks to manage a Swimming Pool.

However, you may want to check out Beanstalk Bagmane located around 30 minutes away from Chikmagalur near Mallandur.

They don't have a pool but the location itself is the USP. You can check out the pictures from the Travelogue here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post3828496

They have rooms as well Bigger Dorms that can accommodate group of travelers.

If you are very keen on Swimming Pool, you can check out Pavanganga Homestay as well. This is located around 1.5 Hours from Chikmagalur town and beyond Bababudangiri.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2017 at 14:28. Reason: Typo
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Mattuga is more suitable for smaller groups. They have scattered cottages and a central place where the dining facility is along with 2-3 rooms. I would suggest that for families who are looking for a vegetarian place and I believe they dont allow liquor.

Try booking Kanive, in Kalasa. www.thekanive.com early. They are located in a beautiful place deep in the western ghats near Kalasa, Hornad and they have a facility to take you people to the river with life jackets, trekking, campfire and so on. Food there is typical hornad food so dont keep expectations high if you are a foodie. They provide a single non vegetarian dish and options of campfire and snacks. They have multiple cottages and I think you can plan how many to rent and in what format depending upon your need. You could book cottages family wise or even go for a bigger shared room if you want. The cost is around 2000-2500 per person per night.

Also check out options in airbnb.com and check if you can book an entire house or an estate cottage.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
However, you may want to check out Beanstalk Bagmane located around 30 minutes away from Chikmagalur near Mallandur.

They have rooms as well Bigger Dorms that can accommodate group of travelers.

If you are very keen on Swimming Pool, you can check out Pavanganga Homestay as well. This is located around 1.5 Hours from Chikmagalur town and beyond Bababudangiri.
Thanks Parag for the suggestions. As mentioned earlier, I had checked Beanstalk bagmane but was not sure if it can accommodate large group. Since you have mentioned about the large hall, i will check with others and get back if all in our group are comfortable that way.

Swimming pool is not a mandatory requirement. If its available it would be an added bonus for us. Will check Pavanganga as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Mattuga is more suitable for smaller groups. They have scattered cottages and a central place where the dining facility is along with 2-3 rooms.

Try booking Kanive, in Kalasa. www.thekanive.com early. They are located in a beautiful place deep in the western ghats near Kalasa, Hornad and they have a facility to take you people to the river with life jackets, trekking, campfire and so on. Food there is typical hornad food so dont keep expectations high if you are a foodie. They provide a single non vegetarian dish and options of campfire and snacks. They have multiple cottages and I think you can plan how many to rent and in what format depending upon your need. You could book cottages family wise or even go for a bigger shared room if you want. The cost is around 2000-2500 per person per night.

Also check out options in airbnb.com and check if you can book an entire house or an estate cottage.
Thanks Audioholic. I will check this place. Looks good from the pics on their website. We as a group are not averse in tasting local cuisines and all of us barring 2 are vegetarians. So not an issue with regards to food. Let me check how many cottages they have and also availability for our dates.
Old 14th July 2017, 12:39   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had checked Beanstalk bagmane but was not sure if it can accommodate large group. Since you have mentioned about the large hall, i will check with others and get back if all in our group are comfortable that way.
I went there 3 weeks before to meet the chap and take on some slush to reach there .

It was exactly then he explained and took us on a small tour with a Torch in hand to show that he's expanded his place to accommodate larger groups.

So you can check that as well.

Quote:
We as a group are not averse in tasting local cuisines and all of us barring 2 are vegetarians.
Most of them would serve you authentic Malenadu cuisine - Veg and Non-Veg. And when you do the booking, they would confirm on your preferences and then make arrangements accordingly.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th July 2017 at 12:41.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arun for the suggestion. Infact I had checked this but I saw that there are only 2 rooms available and was not sure if we all can fit in. We will be a group of 14 adults and 4 kids.
They have bigger rooms, the rooms that we stayed had 4 single beds and one double bed. And we were 10 adults and 6 kids. Did you call them? If not, call and check once.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went there 3 weeks before to meet the chap and take on some slush to reach there .

It was exactly then he explained and took us on a small tour with a Torch in hand to show that he's expanded his place to accommodate larger groups.

Most of them would serve you authentic Malenadu cuisine - Veg and Non-Veg. And when you do the booking, they would confirm on your preferences and then make arrangements accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
They have bigger rooms, the rooms that we stayed had 4 single beds and one double bed. And we were 10 adults and 6 kids. Did you call them? If not, call and check once.
Once again thanks guys. Just got off the phone from the person at Bagmane. They asked me to send an email and said will confirm by evening. Lets see.
Old 14th July 2017, 20:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Gonakal, near Chikmagaluru is a good place and the owners are very nice people. Food was awesome. Nice location as well. Please check this out.
iamnarayang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 08:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The onus of selecting a place to stay is on me and I definitely need help for the same
A few that I have always wanted to go to. Not in the area you are lookign for but still does meets most of your criteria.
1. Swarga - http://www.swarga.in/index.html If I am not mistaken a BHPian owns it
2. Jade - http://www.thejadecoorg.com/
3. Jungle retreat wayanad - https://goo.gl/maps/VzNv43n26aG2 Again BHPian. Do check his thread if you need inspiration
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 08:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
A few that I have always wanted to go to. Not in the area you are lookign for but still does meets most of your criteria.
1. Swarga - http://www.swarga.in/index.html If I am not mistaken a BHPian owns it
No, the one owned by a BHPian Chandan is Mugilu and located on the Sakaleshpur Hethur belt. There are quite a few here but since TT asked around Chikmagalur, these were not suggested.

Else Hanbal has many and many more such good home stays.

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th July 2017 at 09:02.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 09:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, the one owned by a BHPian Chandan is Mugilu and located on the Sakaleshpur Hethur belt. There are quite a few here but since TT asked around Chikmagalur, these were not suggested.

Else Hanbal has many and many more such good home stays.
I thought he was interested in that stretch from Jog - Coorg, which will all be in the 6-7 hour drive time from Bangalore. If its specific to Chikmagalur, then yes the choice is going to be limited. Plus I have observed that the homestays immediately around CKM are quiet expensive and hence might not suit TTs budget.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 09:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Plus I have observed that the homestays immediately around CKM are quiet expensive and hence might not suit TTs budget.
Not really. The per head expenses with 3 Meals range from 1500 - 2500 depending on the type of property. All of them operate on the same model here and you would get what you pay for.

This has nothing to do with its proximity to actual town of Chikmagalur at all.

Few charge for kids (50%) and few don't charge till age of 10.

I have never stayed at Homestays but all my folks who studied with me are running these around Sakaleshpur and Chikmagalur belts.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 18:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

One of the downsides of planning for such a large group (with almost all of us including our wives working) is that there is atleast 2-3 people who wont be able to make it for one or other reason. In the end we had to drop the trip on the originally decided dates and go for Sep 1, 2 and 3. We are now only 6 families going.

Though Decided to book Matthuga as this was close to one of my friends ancestral home and had seen it personally. Also one of our friend in the group had planned a trip to Chikmagalur during Independence day time and he did not want to repeat it. The people at Matthuga also gave a decent discount on the price plus blocked rooms in the East bungalow.

Thanks for the suggestions all of you. Really helped and some of them I have kept it bookmarked for my trips later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Gonakal, near Chikmagaluru is a good place and the owners are very nice people. Food was awesome. Nice location as well. Please check this out.
Quote:
2. Jade - http://www.thejadecoorg.com/
3. Jungle retreat wayanad - https://goo.gl/maps/VzNv43n26aG2 Again BHPian. Do check his thread if you need inspiration
Thanks Jamnarayang and procrj for the suggestions. I will keep this in mind for my personal trips later.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks