Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 11:48   #1

Pune - Lucknow : Route Queries

Fellow BHPians,

I am planning for a road trip from Pune to Lucknow (between 1/Dec till 10/Dec) and am wishing to visit Agra on my return. Basically I need to attend a marriage in Lucknow on 4/Dec and on my return (7/Dec) am planning to be at Agra for a couple of days. My SX4 Zdi would be my ride and my parents (senior citizens) would accompany me. While I will be the lone driver, I have done quite a lot of 15-16 hrs a day trips. But this will be a different story altogether.

I am seeking my fellow BHPians' advice on which route to take and which to avoid. Safety, road conditions obviously are the primary decision parameters. An early morning start (4ish - 5ish) and drive till evening (7ish-8ish), I feel would be the best way to go about it.

There were a couple of threads, as below, but either they have been a touch old or they are not completely assisting me in finalizing my route. I am hence initiating this new thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-road-5.html

Following are the possible routes I could gather but am not sure which would be the best choice:

For onward journey:
------------------
Route I) Pune - Nashik - Dhule - Indore - Vidisha - Jhansi - Orai - Kanpur - Lucknow
(Want to avoid Pune to Malegaon route via Shirdi as Ahmednagar-Shirdi-Manmad stretch has gone bad and slows you down badly. And it is specially bad between Ahmednagar and Shirdi. I myself drove on it 3-4 times in last 2 months and hence want to completely avoid it.)

Route II) Pune - Thane - Vapi - Surat - Ankaleshwar - Bharuch - Vadodara - Ahmedabad - Mehsana - Abu Road - Ajmer - Kishangarh - Jaipur - Bharatpur - Agra - Lucknow
(This will be 1900+ kms but I feel road conditions should be good and safety will not an issue.)

Route III) Pune - Akola - Amravati - Nagpur - Jabalpur - Katni - Satna - Allahabad - Lucknow
(This will be a little over 1600 kms but I have no clue if roads are decent post Jabalpur.)

For return journey:
------------------
Route IV) Lucknow - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Vidisha - Indore - Dhule - Nashik - Pune
(This will be around 1700 kms)

Route V) Same as Route II but inverse i.e. Lucknow - Agra - Bharatpur - Jaipur - Kishangarh - Ajmer - Abu Road - Mehsana - Ahmedabad - Vadodara - Bharuch - Ankaleshwar - Surat - Vapi - Thane - Pune
(This will be 1900+ kms)

While road conditions and safety are the most important factors for me, specially for return journey I would have to be a little more cautious. By the time (7/Dec) I would embark on the return journey, I would have got tired considering the onward journey drive and marriage functions that I will attend. Hence I will have to take it easy probably with more breaks.

Please help me plan for this journey. It would be the longest drive I would undertake and want it to be a memorable one. My parents, though old, are enthusiastic and love road travels. They infact feel at ease in my SX4 than in flights. All your expert guidance in terms of route selection along with any recommendations on hotels (for night stays) would be of supreme help. I am banking a lot on your advises please.

Replies awaited.

Old 30th October 2017, 17:10   #2
BHPian

re: Pune - Lucknow : Route Queries

No idea of route beyond Vidisha, till Vidisha I know the road is good.

One suggestion, Instead of Pune-Nashik road, if you take Pune - Thane (Kalwa) - Nashik road, you may save about one hour, unless you start from Pune before 5 am.
CANPUSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 18:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
No idea of route beyond Vidisha, till Vidisha I know the road is good.

One suggestion, Instead of Pune-Nashik road, if you take Pune - Thane (Kalwa) - Nashik road, you may save about one hour, unless you start from Pune before 5 am.
Thanks CANPUSH!

Is it because the road Pune - Sangamner - Nashik has gone bad OR traffic is the main reason? I stay at Kharadi and will go via Kasarwadi (Nashik Phata) - Rajgurunagar - Sangamner. Its been ages since I have taken that route so am not sure the condition of it at the moment.

The route you have suggested will add roughly 90kms. I am sure you are suggesting for a solid reason.
Old 30th October 2017, 18:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are taking Route 3 - dont go via Jabalpur. After Nagpur - go via Chhindwara, Sagar, Jhansi, Lucknow. These are 4 laned throughout and in decent condition.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 22:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
If you are taking Route 3 - dont go via Jabalpur. After Nagpur - go via Chhindwara, Sagar, Jhansi, Lucknow. These are 4 laned throughout and in decent condition.
Thank you so much ethanhunt123.

Is the Pune - Akola - Amravati - Nagpur route good?
Old 31st October 2017, 20:23   #6

I would suggest you to stick to Route no. 1 while going as well as coming back. Rest all the other roads are in bad condition.
Old 31st October 2017, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saksenarohit View Post
Thanks CANPUSH!

Is it because the road Pune - Sangamner - Nashik has gone bad OR traffic is the main reason? I stay at Kharadi and will go via Kasarwadi (Nashik Phata) - Rajgurunagar - Sangamner. Its been ages since I have taken that route so am not sure the condition of it at the moment.

The route you have suggested will add roughly 90kms. I am sure you are suggesting for a solid reason.
Primarily due to early morning traffic while getting out of Pune. Most of the road work is completed and it is smooth sailing once you get past Manchar. Bypass at Sangamner and Sinnar makes it pretty quick to Nashik afterwards.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:35   #8
BHPian

Hi Rohit,

We just returned from Agra via road last Saturday.

You can check out this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4296314

Route 1 as chalked by you is good until Vidisha (have traveled on this one), after Bhopal it is a single carriageway but road is in good shape. Beware of cows on this stretch. Also best avoided post sunset due to the blinding oncoming traffic with minimum 6-8 lights each, gets taxing and time consuming.

I would personally prefer to go all the way upto Sagar and follow the route to Chattarpur to enter UP. Road is good, and post Sagar traffic diminishes considerably.

Keep in mind though that any route you take you are bound to find bad sections, pick the one which has lesser traffic.
On your return, Agra - Gwalior is great and 4 lane, time to exit Agra is important, start early. Post Gwalior there is a lot of road work (4 lane work) going on throughout until Jhansi. Be prepared for dust and trucks, also not too many dhabas on this route, so plan accordingly.

Why do you want to return through Nagpur, in case you don't have any personal commitment there, avoid it. Since you are returning from Agra take
Agra - Dausa - Tonk - Jahazpur - Chittorgarh - Neemuch - Mandsaur - Ratlam - (as you get closer to Indore, take the right) stick to the 4 lane highway.

This is a better and much faster route, exit the Taj Mahal area and take the Outer Ring Road which will circumvent the city and connect you straight to the Dausa highway.

Hope this helps, let me know in case of any queries.

Cheers!
Trojan

Last edited by Trojan : 1st November 2017 at 10:35. Reason: removed line
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 13:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Route I) Pune - Nashik - Dhule - Indore - Vidisha - Jhansi - Orai - Kanpur - Lucknow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
I am interested to know the road conditions in the highlighted route. I will be travelling in last week of Dec to Indore from Thane with family. Also if anyone has done Indore-Shegaon-Shirdi, any updates on this route too please. Although right now not on my radar but may plan depending on the road conditions. If good then will definitely go.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 14:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am interested to know the road conditions in the highlighted route. I will be travelling in last week of Dec to Indore from Thane with family. If good then will definitely go.
Hello Ghodlur,

The route from Nasik - Malegaon - Dhule - Indore is amazing, 4 lanes throughout. Just be mindful of the crazy rumblers at most crossings (only in Maharashtra). Traffic is not too heavy as well, so you are able to drive with consistent speeds and cover good ground. Once in MP the highway opens up further and its a treat to drive.
From Thane its even better as you directly get the expressway for Nasik and save a lot of time Vs traveling from Pune.

Cheers!
Trojan
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 17:48   #11
BHPian

Re: Pune - Lucknow : Route Queries

Quote:
Thanks CANPUSH!

Pune Nashik road is bit too busy. Delay is due to heavy traffic and congestion at places.
Old 21st November 2017, 12:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Hi Rohit,

You can check out this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4296314

Route 1 as chalked by you is good until Vidisha (have traveled on this one), after Bhopal it is a single carriageway but road is in good shape. Beware of cows on this stretch. Also best avoided post sunset due to the blinding oncoming traffic with minimum 6-8 lights each, gets taxing and time consuming.

I would personally prefer to go all the way upto Sagar and follow the route to Chattarpur to enter UP. Road is good, and post Sagar traffic diminishes considerably.

Keep in mind though that any route you take you are bound to find bad sections, pick the one which has lesser traffic.
On your return, Agra - Gwalior is great and 4 lane, time to exit Agra is important, start early. Post Gwalior there is a lot of road work (4 lane work) going on throughout until Jhansi. Be prepared for dust and trucks, also not too many dhabas on this route, so plan accordingly.

Why do you want to return through Nagpur, in case you don't have any personal commitment there, avoid it. Since you are returning from Agra take
Agra - Dausa - Tonk - Jahazpur - Chittorgarh - Neemuch - Mandsaur - Ratlam - (as you get closer to Indore, take the right) stick to the 4 lane highway.

This is a better and much faster route, exit the Taj Mahal area and take the Outer Ring Road which will circumvent the city and connect you straight to the Dausa highway.

Hope this helps, let me know in case of any queries.

Cheers!
Trojan
Hi Trojan - thank you so much; apologies I am writing back late.
After a lot of deliberation and talking to various friends and acquaintances, who drive regularly in those areas, I have finalized the below route. I had to take into consideration that my parents will accompany me and their comfort will be paramount for me. Few rules I had set while coming up with the overall plan:
1) Do not drive more than 700 kms a day
2) Start early reach early
3) Stay at decent places (parents' comfort)
4) Roads should be decent

Plan is as following:
Day 1 | Pune to Nashik (will stay either at Express Inn or Jupiter, still have to book) | Distance 220 kms | Travel time 4.5 hrs | Start by noon and reach by evening
Day 2 | Nashik to Sanchi (via Indore-Dewas-Sehore-Bhopal) (will stay at a friend's hotel) - have driven on this stretch 100s of times | Distance 665 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0600 hrs and reach by 1900 hrs
Day 3 | Sanchi to Lucknow (Sanchi-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Orai-Kanpur-Lucknow) | Distance 670 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0700 hrs and reach by 2100 hrs
Day 4- Day 7 | Stationed at Lucknow
Day 8 | Lucknow to Agra (on the new Lucknow Agra Expressway) (am still to finalize a hotel to stay) | Distance 340 kms | Travel time 6.5 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 1430 hrs
Day 9 | Agra to Sanchi (Agra-Morena-Gwalior-Jhansi-Lalitpur-Sagar-Sanchi) (will stay at the friend's hotel) | Distance 560 kms | Travel time 11.5 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 1930 hrs
Day 10 | Sanchi to Nashik (hotel yet to be booked) | Distance 665 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 2200 hrs
Day 11 | Nashik to Pune | Distance 220 kms | Travel time 4.5 hrs | Start by 1000 hrs and reach by 1430 hrs

I am not sure how much will I be able to stick to this plan but I will try. I have been told that roads are in excellent conditions in this route. I was a little sceptical in including Morena-Gwalior (due to its past impression) in my return journey but again my friends and acquaintances have convinced me that it indeed was a thing of past and safety is not at all a concern.

Let me see how it all goes.
Will keep you all posted once I am back with a travelogue.

Anything else you or any of our BHPians would like to suggest that I should take care of during such a long journey (e.g. additional car locks - i was searching for a good gear lock).

Thank you so much.
Am all excited to take this trip
saksenarohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2017, 14:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Day 1 | Pune to Nashik (will stay either at Express Inn or Jupiter, still have to book) | Distance 220 kms | Travel time 4.5 hrs | Start by noon and reach by evening
Day 2 | Nashik to Sanchi (via Indore-Dewas-Sehore-Bhopal) (will stay at a friend's hotel) - have driven on this stretch 100s of times | Distance 665 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0600 hrs and reach by 1900 hrs
The roads upto Bhopal are 4 laned and excellent, you will be able to drive with consistent speeds. After Bhopal, it is a 2 lane road with no dividers, tricky but ok in daylight. Do stop at the Tropic of Cancer, which you should cross before Sanchi

Quote:
Day 3 | Sanchi to Lucknow (Sanchi-Sagar-Lalitpur-Jhansi-Orai-Kanpur-Lucknow) | Distance 670 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0700 hrs and reach by 2100 hrs
Sanchi - Vidisha - Sagar is a continuation of the single carriageway, early start will help. No idea about the Sagar - Jhansi - Kanpur route. But from recent experience can say, all roads around Jhansi are under repairs/4 lane construction.

Quote:
Day 4- Day 7 | Stationed at Lucknow
Day 8 | Lucknow to Agra (on the new Lucknow Agra Expressway) (am still to finalize a hotel to stay) | Distance 340 kms | Travel time 6.5 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 1430 hrs
Easy stretch.

Quote:
Day 9 | Agra to Sanchi (Agra-Morena-Gwalior-Jhansi-Lalitpur-Sagar-Sanchi) (will stay at the friend's hotel) | Distance 560 kms | Travel time 11.5 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 1930 hrs
Exit from Agra will be key (takes a lot of time). Agra - Gwalior will be fast, good surface and sparse traffic. Gwalior - Jhansi is totally under construction for 4 lane, lot of dust and trucks, as mentioned very few family dhabas on this stretch.

Quote:
Day 10 | Sanchi to Nashik (hotel yet to be booked) | Distance 665 kms | Travel time 14 hrs | Start by 0800 hrs and reach by 2200 hrs
Day 11 | Nashik to Pune | Distance 220 kms | Travel time 4.5 hrs | Start by 1000 hrs and reach by 1430 hrs
Easy stretch, keep in mind the Indore and Bhopal bypass, else city traffic welcomes you.

Quote:
I am not sure how much will I be able to stick to this plan but I will try. I have been told that roads are in excellent conditions in this route. I was a little sceptical in including Morena-Gwalior (due to its past impression) in my return journey but again my friends and acquaintances have convinced me that it indeed was a thing of past and safety is not at all a concern.

Right after you are about to reach Dholpur (near the Chambal river) you will be in the Zone, watch out for the famous Ravines (Beehad) definitely a sight which sends a chill, thinking of the days gone by. They will be giving you company until Morena. Day time should not be an issue, night driving would still be risky considering the sparse traffic on this route.

Quote:
Let me see how it all goes.
Will keep you all posted once I am back with a travelogue.
All the very best, enjoy the drive!

Quote:
Anything else you or any of our BHPians would like to suggest that I should take care of during such a long journey (e.g. additional car locks - i was searching for a good gear lock).
Carry an extra set of keys. Unless you will be parking in remote areas overnight, i don't think you would need a gear lock.

Cheers,
Trojan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks