Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:26   #16
BHPian

Re: Karnataka road-trip in the summer?

Another update - roads are good all the way from Murudeshwar to Mangalore to Madikere vis Sampaje. Kunda pura southwards NH 66 is 4 lane. Mani to Madikere via Sapaje is a great drive! And yes Madikere is cool even in day time!

Any recommendations on route I should take from Madikere to Pune?
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:53   #17
BHPian

1. Madikeri-Mangalore-Honnavara-Yellapura-Hubli-Belgaum-Pune
2. Madikeri-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Bhadravathi-Honnali-Davangere-Hubli-Belgaum-Pune

The first one is more scenic and second one is much faster.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Madikere to Pune?
Madikeri-Kushalnagar-Konnanur-Ramanathapura-Arakalagud-Gorur-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur-Kadur-Ajjampur-Hosadurga-Hiryur-NH4-Pune

- Kushalnagar-Arakalagud is in great condition from my own drive earlier this month.
- Arakalagud-Gorur-Hassan is recently resurfaced, confirmed by Parag.
- Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur is good.
- Kadur-Ajjampur-Hosadurga-Hiryur is one of the faster recommended routes recently. Had noted it, in case I was starting the trip from Shimoga.

Please plan your rest stops at Kushalnagar or Hassan or Chikmagalur. You'll be hard pressed to find decent eateries otherwise.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2018, 11:38   #19
BHPian

I can not thank enough fellow BHPians @ 2500CC and Narain for helping me finalize route!
Though the average progress for me on 2 laned roads was slower due to towns and traffic - the roads were in great condition (only 1 bad ghat stretch of few kms between Honnali and Harihar).

I eventually did Madikere Kushalnagar Ramnathpura Haasan Belur Chikmaglur Kadur Shimoga Honnali Harihar and then Pune. The 2 laned roads till Harihar were a pleasure to drive on. The scenery around western ghat was so great! And some nice places like Chikmaglur!

Other bits
  1. Bit too many speed breakers on Kushal Nagar to Ramnath Pura @ 25 km odd stretch. Was skeptical to see those on the beginning.
  2. Only place I found bit of traffic was for few kms after Hassan to Belur road.
  3. Hotel Crown 3 kms before Kushal Nagar is a good place for food.
  4. My 1st ever single stretch drive above 600 kms. I think total was 950 kms!

Last edited by aah78 : 29th May 2019 at 17:40. Reason: Smiley fixed. LIST added. Grammar fixed.
naren_gs1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2019, 15:53   #20
BHPian

Naren, Narayans, Wheelwake - those who did this trip in 2018, Can you pl advise on the sights you visited as i have planned for this in May 2019 (ex-Pune)? TIA.
Old 20th January 2019, 22:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Can you pl advise on the sights you visited
I did Mangalore-Udupi-Sakrebyle-Sringeri-Horanadu-Kalasa-Dharmasthala-Kukke. Coorg-Halebidu-Belur, Kollur and coastal KA north of Udupi were done in 2 earlier trips.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 17:25   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Naren, Narayans, Wheelwake - those who did this trip in 2018, Can you pl advise on the sights you visited as i have planned for this in May 2019 (ex-Pune)? TIA.
Rajaram - I did Dandeli, Murudeshwar, Malpe(Ududpi), Mangalore, Madikere
Old 29th May 2019, 16:38   #23
BHPian

I did this trip last week (May 18-26) and it was lovely. Covered Dandeli (incl rafting), Shivmogga (Sakrebyle elephant camp) and Gokarna/Murudeshwar. Didnt feel the heat as were within the woods at both Sakrebyle and Dandeli. Gokarna was the typical humid stuff.
rajarams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 22:40   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip to Karnataka with my wife and 2 year old kid. He is not fond of sitting in car seat beyond a point (mostly after 3-4 hrs), so we intend to drive max 5-6 hrs everyday and take couple of breaks. Further we want to keep it relaxed to also act as a buffer should anything go wrong.

Keeping this in mind the plan is as follows -
1st Dec - Pune to Bijapur | 315 KMs | 6 Hours
2nd Dec - Bijapur to badami | 120 KMs | 2.5 Hours
3rd Dec - Badami to Hampi | 141 KMs | 3 Hours
4th Dec - Stay at Hampi
5th Dec - Hampi to Chikmagalur | 300 KMs | 6.25 Hours
6th Dec - Stay at Chikmagalur
7th Dec - Stay at Chikmagalur
8th Dec - Chikmagalur to Gokarn | 310 KMs | 6.5 Hours
depending on how we are feeling at this point, we may add 2 days to visit Mysuru/Udupi or any other place on west coast.
9th Dec - Gokarn to Doodhsagar Falls | 200 KMs | 5.5 Hours
10th Dec - Doodhsagar to Pune | 413 KMs | 8 Hours
What's your take on this plan? I will be travelling in a Chevy Beat with 80K on odometer so also wanted to ask about any road stretch that needs to be planned or avoided.

Since this is my first visit to Karnataka (except Bangalore) any suggestion on places, what not to miss is most welcome! Also we don't want to touch Goa - as it might be crowded and costly in Dec.

Finally any suggestion for a good spa resort between Gokarn to Pune. It will be good to end the trip with some pampering and relaxation.
Old 26th September 2019, 22:09   #25
BHPian

Well I have booked hotel in Chikmagalur as per above plan. However staying back at Doodhsagar falls isn't working out as I got to know that it may require a bit of hiking which isn't recommended with 2 year old.
Also I read about Agumbe, St.Mary's Iceland & marwanthe beach and want to include them in the plan (I can extend by a day or two). So looking forward to your suggestions.
Old 30th September 2019, 21:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
Hi Guys,

I am planning a trip to Karnataka with my wife and 2 year old kid. He is not fond of sitting in car seat beyond a point (mostly after 3-4 hrs), so we intend to drive max 5-6 hrs everyday and take couple of breaks. Further we want to keep it relaxed to also act as a buffer should anything go wrong.

Keeping this in mind the plan is as follows -
4th Dec - Stay at Hampi
depending on how we are feeling at this point, we may add 2 days to visit Mysuru/Udupi or any other place on west coast.
9th Dec - Gokarn to Doodhsagar Falls | 200 KMs | 5.5 Hours
10th Dec - Doodhsagar to Pune | 413 KMs | 8 Hours
What's your take on this plan? I will be travelling in a Chevy Beat with 80K on odometer so also wanted to ask about any road stretch that needs to be planned or avoided.

Since this is my first visit to Karnataka (except Bangalore) any suggestion on places, what not to miss is most welcome! Also we don't want to touch Goa - as it might be crowded and costly in Dec.

Finally any suggestion for a good spa resort between Gokarn to Pune. It will be good to end the trip with some pampering and relaxation.
Pl Cary umbrella ... Sun will be blazing hot in hampi.

Enjoy bijapur to hospette 4 lane 200 km great roads with sparse traffic .... Surrounded by vast sunflower fields...
naren_gs1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 23:28   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_gs1 View Post
Pl Cary umbrella ... Sun will be blazing hot in hampi.
Dec should be fine right? Should be food weather? Sunny yes. But hot?

Quote:
I would suggest: Hospet-Chitradurga-Hiriyur-Hosadurga-Kadur-Chikkamagulur.

Between Hosadurga-Kadur not sure if the shorter is woirth it or need to via Ajjampur/Birur.

Quote:
Tarikere/Shimoga/Honnavar/Gokarna. Bad traffic till Shimoga but beyond it nice. You can take a break at Jog on the way.

Doodhsagar is a long shot in my opinion. Also instead of Gokarna, would suggest visit places around Shimoga/Sagar/Jog/Yana/Yellapur etc. Lesser distances to cover and more places to see on the way.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 11:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Tarikere/Shimoga/Honnavar/Gokarna. Bad traffic till Shimoga but beyond it nice. You can take a break at Jog on the way.
I was planning the same. Not sure if there will be enough water in Jog, but still wanted to go.
Quote:
Doodhsagar is a long shot in my opinion. Also instead of Gokarna, would suggest visit places around Shimoga/Sagar/Jog/Yana/Yellapur etc. Lesser distances to cover and more places to see on the way.
Understood and changed the itinerary to -
4th Dec - Stay at Hampi
8th Dec - Chikmagalur - Agumbe - Udupi | 170 KMs | 3.5 Hrs
9th Dec - Udupi - St.Mary's Iceland - Marvanthe Beach to Jog Falls | 170 KMs | 3.5 Hours
10th Dec - Jog Falls - Yellapur - Dharwad - Kolhapur| 365 KMs | 7 Hrs
11th Dec - Kolhapur - Pune | 240 KMs | 4.5 Hrs
I still need to figure out if there will be a decent place to stay near Jog Falls. Also what's there to do at Yellapur. If there is anything, I would rather spent some time there and stay overnight between Belgaum & Kolhapur if anyone can suggest a decent place for an overnight stay.

Also would be grateful if anyone from that part of Karnatka can comment on how practical above plan is with 2 year old kid on a 80K run Chevy Beat.
satishchugh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 20:20   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also would be grateful if anyone from that part of Karnatka can comment on how practical above plan is with 2 year old kid on a 80K run Chevy Beat.
My suggestion would be instead of going down south to Udupi, plan a homestay around Sagar.

In 2-3 days you can see, Agumbe/Thirthahalli/Sringeri/Jog and nearby places. And then head to Yellapur stay for a day and visit Magod, Yana, Sathodi etc.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 14:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be instead of going down south to Udupi, plan a homestay around Sagar.

In 2-3 days you can see, Agumbe/Thirthahalli/Sringeri/Jog and nearby places. And then head to Yellapur stay for a day and visit Magod, Yana, Sathodi etc.
Thanks for your suggestion, I am now planning -
8th Dec - Chikmagalur - Jog falls - Sagar | 235 KMs | 5 Hrs
we can possibly go through Agumbe if we can leave early in the morning, that will add 35 KMs and another hour to travel time.
9th Dec - Sagar - Banvasi - Belgaum | 250 KMs | 5 Hours
10th Dec -Belgaum - Pune | 350 KMs | 7 Hrs
This gives us a free 2 days so if we like the place (Sagar) and are not too tired then we can plan to go to Yellapur and visit Magod. Though I am not sure after seeing Jog Falls, any other fall (Magod or Sathodi will entice us). I would rather go for a wildlife safari but somehow not able to create a workable plan for Dandoli or Anshi National Park given the lack of info.
Any suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks