Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 13:30   #1
BHPian

Is it sensible to travel to MP during the election?

I'm planning a trip to Madhya Pradesh in the last week of December with wife and son. This is not a road trip. The plan is to fly to Indore. For places in and around cities, I'll book a rental car. For inter-city travels, I'll either book a train or a bus.

There is a plan for the election in MP this year. There are chances that election might be held in December. So my worry is - is it advisable to travel in MP if election is also held around that time? Considering it is not a complete road trip, is it still fine?

By the way, I'm planning to cover Indore, Ujjain, Bhopal, Khajuraho, Orchha, and Jhansi (which is in UP).

Any tips/suggestions are highly appreciated.
Old 14th August 2018, 21:40   #2
BHPian

re: Is it sensible to travel to MP during the election?

I don't think MP is violent enough during elections such that it demands you to cancel your trip. MP people especially western part of MP are peaceful and love to chat. So go ahead with your trip. For places near Indore like Ujjain and Onkareshwar you can book a cab. Intercity travel can be a train or bus. All the best
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 09:11   #3
BHPian

Yes, you are most welcome to our city Indore and its surroundings. No need to panic cause there won't be so much chaos that you will have to worry.
For the places within the city you can get Zoomcar as it is the best option (220km) limit.
For what purpose you are visiting , may i get to know that?
PM me for any further information..
manaljain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 10:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Election violence is rarely an issue. But be prepared for random checks on highways for alcohol and cash. Make sure you don't have too much of cash or booze on you, otherwise you are good to go.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 11:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled in MP quite a few times; drove around personally with my own car. Travelled to Indore, Bhopal, Sagar, Katni, Jabalpur, Maihar. This covers east as well as West of MP.

I found the people of MP decent and polite. Always co-operative.

One I gave lift to a cop who de-boarded his bus at a dhaba, where I took the dinner. His bus had just reached the dhaba for a long halt, when I was about to leave from there. He was in a hurry (some urgency, his son was not well) to reach Bhopal, so requested me for a lift at 10:30 in the night. Not only he was cordial in his communication throughout the journey, he insisted (and saw to it) that I take a halt at Indore during my return journey after 15 days. I reached Indore in the night, so he put a word in a decent hotel for my stay and asked the hotel not to accept payment from me. Such was the gratitude.

So, go ahead.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Re: Is it sensible to travel to MP during the election?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaniga View Post
is it advisable to travel in MP if election

Of Course, very sensible. Nothing to worry about anytime. Even during elections. We are not at all violent.
Like all have mentioned above, it is calm & Peaceful area.
Indore, Ujjain & Bhopal are more concentrating towards the cleanliness these days(Indore having topped twice at National level). "Bhiya's" of Indore are on a death mission to keep there city clean. You will notice it - Why they succeeded.

No untowardly incidences, if at all there are any, past actions from administration has proved, that they are controlled with a speed of light. Don't worry.

Sarafa at night in Indore is a must visit.
Add Mandu (Mandav) to the list. ~100KMs from Indore.
If visiting Ujjain for Jyotirlings, do Visit Omkareshwar. Almost Same distance, but on opposite sides of Indore.

Though an absolutely crazy Idea, ever tried a hill station in Winter? If you want to try, add Pachmarhi to your list - Only 200 KMs from Bhopal.

Let me stop here now & let you do your planning. . List is endless.

Go there & enjoy. Do let me know if I can be of any help in an around Indore &/or Bhopal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
Yes, you are most welcome to our city Indore .
I have been dying to ask : Your name (pretty rare), reminds me of a famous hotel at NH3 near Pithampur. Any links to it?? I am looking for discounts (he he ).

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 16th August 2018 at 11:22.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 13:14   #7
BHPian

Re: Is it sensible to travel to MP during the election?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I don't think MP is violent enough during elections such that it demands you to cancel your trip. MP people especially western part of MP are peaceful and love to chat. So go ahead with your trip. For places near Indore like Ujjain and Onkareshwar you can book a cab. Intercity travel can be a train or bus. All the best
Thank you Amit. Glad to know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaljain View Post
For what purpose you are visiting , may i get to know that?
PM me for any further information..
Thank you Manaljain. We are visiting as a tourist, just to cover the places in MP. We do have plans to cover both the jyotirlingas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Election violence is rarely an issue. But be prepared for random checks on highways for alcohol and cash. Make sure you don't have too much of cash or booze on you, otherwise you are good to go.
Thank you Shreyans for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I have travelled in MP quite a few times; drove around personally with my own car. Travelled to Indore, Bhopal, Sagar, Katni, Jabalpur, Maihar. This covers east as well as West of MP.

So, go ahead.
Thank you Rahul. That's very nice of that policeman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Of Course, very sensible. Nothing to worry about anytime. Even during elections. We are not at all violent.

Go there & enjoy. Do let me know if I can be of any help in an around Indore &/or Bhopal.
Thank you Saurabh, really appreciate.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'll do the planning now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks