Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2012, 17:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Precise directions to Matheran

While we're on the route to Matheran/Karjat, can folks here guide me/give me precise driving directions to Discover Resorts Best Western, Neral from Bandra. I have booked a 2 nights stay in the last week of January. Also, any idea what places are 'really worth' visiting around there.

Thanks,
Anil
Old 9th January 2012, 14:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
While we're on the route to Matheran/Karjat, can folks here guide me/give me precise driving directions to Discover Resorts Best Western, Neral from Bandra. I have booked a 2 nights stay in the last week of January. Also, any idea what places are 'really worth' visiting around there.

Thanks,
Anil
Hello Anil,

I am sure you would have already seen these links but still 2 cents from my side.

The best route seems to be this:

Precise directions to Matheran-bandra-discover-resorts.jpg

You can also search 'Discover Resorts, Neral" on Google Maps for precise route directions.

Also for Hotel / Resorts Reviews, I have generally found Trip Advisor website useful & reliable. Reviews for Discover Resort Neral are as under:

BEST WESTERN Discover Resort (Neral, India) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Hope above is helpful to you & I believe the above post does not violate any Team-BHP rules.

Thanks,
Old 13th January 2012, 11:41   #18
BHPian

Updated timing of Toy train:

From Neral to Matharen: 7:30, 9:00, 10:30, 11:40, 17:05
From matheran to Neral: 7:00, 9:50, 13:50, 15:15, 16:30

Source: www.indianrail.gov.in

Last edited by WDM007 : 13th January 2012 at 11:42.
WDM007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:11   #19
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread,

I am planning to go to Matheran in first week of April ( Long weekend), has anybody been there in April? I hope it won't be too hot?

and how to reach there from Pune, I mean which is the best route from Pune?
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

In addition, does it make sense to drive to Matheran - the parking lot that has been mentioned in this thread - and leave your vehicle there?
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:22   #21
BHPian

In case you are driving then you can take pune-khopoli-karjat route further to Neral. Pune to Khopoli by expressway. Quit ew at toll plaza. This road will further take you to Karjat.

April will be hot during day. Further trees are in shading phase.

Parking at Dasturi Naka is pretty safe from humans but not so from prehumans. However its okay.

Last edited by Floating Axle : 23rd March 2015 at 18:24. Reason: Adding matter
Old 10th September 2016, 00:59   #22

Mumbai - Neral Road Query

Hi Guys,

I am planning a leisure small trip to a resort in Neral.

I will travel from Mumbai Ghatkopar to Neral via Road.

I am able to see two options
  1. Mumbai - Vashi - E-way- Karjat - Neral (78 Kms)
  2. Mumbai(Ghatkopar) - Mulund - Airoli - Mahape - Shil phata - Ambernath - Badlapur - Neral (71 Kms)

While option 1 is a tested route I want to know how is the road condition for option 2. I am looking at some new route for this 2 hour short drive with friends but not by travelling on bad roads. Assuming 1 would be a smooth drive at least till Karjat.
Old 8th November 2022, 19:55   #23
Team-BHP Support

Visited Matheran earlier this week; my third visit (the last being 20 years ago).

The main attraction was not Matheran per se, but the Toy Train, esp. in the Vistadome coach, for my kid.

Precise directions to Matheran-img_2916.jpg

Here are the train timings: https://www.irctchelp.in/neral-mathe...iming221020223

Vistadome coach: full-size windows, transparent glass roof, a/c cabin
First class: full-size windows, non-a/c, cushion seats
Second class: full-size windows, non-a/c, bench wooden seats

There is one Vistadome coach and 2/3 First/Second class coaches in one train for each journey; the other train has only FC/SC coaches. In hindsight, book FC if tickets are available. The transparent roof doesn't add much value, and all passengers actually voted to turn off the a/c and open windows so we'd get a better view.

Getting there: we drove down to Neral railway station; the plan being we'd park the car there, and take the train up. Possibly for the return journey as well / take a cab.

Outside Neral railway station is an absolute mess; taxi and auto drivers have encroached about every inch of the narrow road so there's no way you can take your vehicle close.

Instead, park at Hotel Rahil, about 100m before the station.

Tickets: can be booked only on the spot (not online) and counters open 45min before the departure time. Despite being a weekday, there was a huge rush for the train, and most seats were sold out. We were lucky to find just about enough Vistadome coach tickets; they sell the last given the price (~Rs. 625).

The train takes about 2.5 hours and goes right up to the market lane. If you drive up, the parking is about 30min by walk from Matheran station.

The Vistadome coach:

Precise directions to Matheran-img_2864.jpg

Precise directions to Matheran-img_2873.jpg

A diesel generator power unit for the train

Precise directions to Matheran-img_2915.jpg

On the return journey, we decided to take a taxi to save time (the novelty of the toy train is only so much considering the 20min vs. 2.5 hours journey time difference).

Precise directions to Matheran-img_2928.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 16:35   #24
BHPian

I have few questions about travel to Matheran from Mumbai (Borivali)

1. The taxi from Neral to Matheran is 20 min journey as I see from what is mentioned above. This taxi goes till what point in Matheran?
2. If the Taxi doesn't go all the way, till where it goes and how to go to main Matheran area from there?
3. If parking near Neral station, I see Rahi hotel is suggested. Is this the only option right now or anything else? Also how much do they charge? I am not very confident about ghat driving (never done) so don't want to take car all the way. I would love to go in train but standing in line 2 hours prior seems daunting and then 2.5 hours travel vs 30 min is sort of no brainer I feel.
Old 4th April 2023, 17:33   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
1. The taxi from Neral to Matheran is 20 min journey as I see from what is mentioned above. This taxi goes till what point in Matheran?
2. If the Taxi doesn't go all the way, till where it goes and how to go to main Matheran area from there?
Any vehicle: private car/bike or cab, will only go until the car parking atop Matheran. Train goes until the main railway station, which is right in the town.

The main Matheran town is about a 20-30min walk from the car park; it is a slight uphill/downhill walk. You will get horse rides, from about 500m from the car park, all the way into town.

Quote:
3. If parking near Neral station, I see Rahi hotel is suggested. Is this the only option right now or anything else? Also how much do they charge?
Yes, Rahi hotel is the only place closest to the railway station (<1min walk) you can safely park your vehicle. They charge ~50 for the day or so. Very reasonable.

Quote:
I am not very confident about ghat driving (never done) so don't want to take car all the way.
Always a first time!

Quote:
I would love to go in train but standing in line 2 hours prior seems daunting and then 2.5 hours travel vs 30 min is sort of no brainer I feel.
Try for First Class / Vistadome; those tickets don't sell out as easily. Reach at 7.30-8am and try your luck.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed