Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2019, 02:23   #1
BHPian

Best route from Coimbatore to Palani?

Hi All,

I will be making a round-trip to Palani from Coimbatore airport next week, have booked a Zoomcar for the same. I will be driving in afternoon for both ways. I would like to know the best possible route as well as the current road conditions and time taken for the drive. Also I request fellow bhpians who recently drove via this route to give your comments and also please suggest a good place for a coffee break en route.

Did a basic search on Google maps and found there are quite a few options
1.CBE->Pollachi->udumalpet->Palani.
2.CBE->Palladam->udumalpet->Palani.
3.CBE->Palladam->Dharapuram->Palani.

I am thinking of taking route 2. Please chip in with your suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by Th!ru : 7th April 2019 at 02:25. Reason: Grammar mistake
Old 7th April 2019, 07:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best route from Coimbatore to Palani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
Did a basic search on Google maps and found there are quite a few options

Thanks!
The first one (pollachi - udumalpet) is the usual route. All the roads break down closer to Palani though.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 09:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thiru- the standard route is Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani.

The roads at Pollachi and beyond are having lots of diversions for widening and is full of dust and it's quite slow moving.

Last month , took the Palladam - Dharapuram - Palani route and it was quite good and we actually reached Palani in better time than the normal route. It's more or less empty and quality of roads , though 2 lane at best , is quite good.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 09:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thiru- the standard route is Coimbatore - Pollachi - Udumalpet - Palani.

The roads at Pollachi and beyond are having lots of diversions for widening and is full of dust and it's quite slow moving.

Last month , took the Palladam - Dharapuram - Palani route and it was quite good and we actually reached Palani in better time than the normal route. It's more or less empty and quality of roads , though 2 lane at best , is quite good.
On that route, eat and fuel up BEFORE you get to Palladam. The roads are empty + not many pumps on the way, not all that many food options.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 09:50   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you're starting from Coimbatore city (central parts, Ukkadam, etc) then going via Pollachi will be the better choice, but if you're closer to the outskirts (en route Avinashi), then Palladam will make sense.
Pollachi has some decent options for food/coffee breaks closer to the bus stand / new scheme road-Palladam road junction that you will be passing through.

If you're going via Palladam, at the 4 road junction before the turn off to Udumalaipet, there is a Om Saravana Bhava restaurant that's decent.

Last edited by NPV : 7th April 2019 at 09:59.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 14:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Take this. It is better in terms of traffic.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 17:17   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Since you will be starting from airport, Palladam will be a better option. And Palladam -> Dharapuram road is bit wide and will be easy to drive compared to Palladam -> Udumalpet.
gunsho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 07:01   #8
Team-BHP Support

What @NPV and others said makes sense. Heading out of airport, one is directly heading on the Avinashi road. Hence Palladam route makes more sense. Dharaparum gives limited options to have food/break I think.

Head towards Avinashi and the get on the bypass. Its a 4/5 km detaour, but I think should be better compared to going through the city. If you plan to take a cab, I guess, the driver should know how to get on to the old NH67 (CBE-Sulur-PAlladam)

If you are driving on your own, I would suggest the longer option

Last edited by ampere : 8th April 2019 at 07:02.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 09:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you are driving on your own, I would suggest the longer option
He is taking a Zoomcar. Especially on the 2nd and 3rd options make sure your ride's tyres are good. I haven't seen that to be always the case with Zoomcar.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 11:03   #10
BHPian

Four laning work has started on the Dharapuram - Palladam section. Via Udumalpet would be a better bet.

Cheers
Old 8th April 2019, 14:13   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Four laning work has started on the Dharapuram - Palladam section. Via Udumalpet would be a better bet.
CBE - Palladam - Avinashipalayam - Dharapuram is another option worth considering. Decent road with minimal traffic.
Old 11th April 2019, 02:26   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for your responses. So based on the comments, routes via Palladam are preferred, so now it boils down to taking either udumalpet or Dharapuram road. This road widening going on in Dharapuram road - has anyone experienced it first hand? Is it really bad with many diversions and single lane traffic for the major part of the route or manageable? I am asking this because the udumalpet road seems to be narrow.
Old 22nd April 2019, 16:17   #13
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Made the trip last week. Had originally booked a nexon via zoomcar, few days before the trip they called me informing the car had some fault and asked me to select another car and they would give it at the same cost as Nexon, they offered an ecosport, and I asked for a Hexa which they agreed. It was a xe variant in pretty good condition, had done 55k kms but had the speed limiter set at 80 kmph, which was a major irritant on the empty roads, I could barely cross 1500 rpm at top gear.

I took the Palladam->Dharapuram->Palani route. The entire stretch was good with very less to non-existent traffic. Just around dharapuram there was some four laning work going with some diversions for around 2-4 km but nothing annoying. The travel time was 2 hr 30 mins. We took a coffee break at one Ariyas opposite to Palladam bus stand.
Old 9th February 2024, 16:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all, I am going to be on a bike ride from Kodaikanal to Coimbatore. I have taken the Dharapuram (3) route a few times and know it's quite good and mix of 4 lane and two lane roads. I have also taken the Pollachi route (1), which is mostly 4 lane, but is the longest. The slightly modified route (2) via Gudimangalam appears to be the shortest and avoids all towns.

Now, since I am on a bike, I don't mind exploring new routes but generally apprehensive about excessive speed breakers. Has anyone tried this Gudimangalam route and if so, please tell me about the condition of the route? TIA!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks