Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2019, 11:03   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ratnagiri - Dapoli or Ganpatipule?

I'm planning a trip to Ganpatipule from Mumbai in the last week of October. Will be traveling with Kids and Parents hence will prefer a more comfortable journey. Which route is more preferred, the NH4 till almost Kolhapur or the NH17 till Chiplun? If we take the NH4 we might start an evening prior so that we can do a night halt after Pune and proceed next day morning to Ganpatipule. The NH4 route is almost 150 Kms more than the NH17 and will take around 10 hours in total against the NH17 which should take around 9 hours I believe. Any idea on the current road conditions and which route will be advisable?
Old 16th October 2019, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Re: Pune to Ganpatipule : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I'm planning a trip to Ganpatipule from Mumbai in the last week of October. Will be traveling with Kids and Parents hence will prefer a more comfortable journey. Which route is more preferred, the NH4 till almost Kolhapur or the NH17 till Chiplun? If we take the NH4 we might start an evening prior so that we can do a night halt after Pune and proceed next day morning to Ganpatipule. The NH4 route is almost 150 Kms more than the NH17 and will take around 10 hours in total against the NH17 which should take around 9 hours I believe. Any idea on the current road conditions and which route will be advisable?
Please DO NOT take NH17. It's a complete mess. Drive extra Kms but don't take that road. I recently did the mistake of traveling on NH17 on Dasera holiday. That road is offroader's wet dream. Road doesn't exist till Mangaon. After Mangaon it is marginally better but with diversions all around it becomes very much stressful to drive.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th October 2019 at 12:52. Reason: Corrected quoted post.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 15:30   #18
BHPian

Hi everyone, planning a trip to ganapatipule in the mid of Feb from Mumbai. Which road would you guys recommend. Keep in mind I have a dog with me along
Old 24th January 2020, 20:08   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriks View Post
Hi everyone, planning a trip to ganapatipule in the mid of Feb from Mumbai. Which road would you guys recommend. Keep in mind I have a dog with me along
I guess the only option may be Pune-Bhor-Mahad-Chiplun.

Rest all options as mentioned are broken.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 20:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Most effortless route would be Pune-Kolhapur-Ratnagiri. There's one shorter route which takes diversion at Karad and joins a bit before Amba ghat.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 23:00   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Most effortless route would be Pune-Kolhapur-Ratnagiri. There's one shorter route which takes diversion at Karad and joins a bit before Amba ghat.
Agreed ! A bit longer but definitely avoids the broken roads on the NH17.
Old 25th January 2020, 12:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Ouch are the roads that bad? Google Maps gives me two options:

1. Pali - Kolad - Chiplun and Ganapatipule

2. Pune - Satara - Pali - Gantapatipule (Doesn't reach Kolhapur)

Are you guys recommending the second route or recommending I drive down to Kolhapur?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th January 2020 at 12:11. Reason: Minor punctuation edits.
Old 25th January 2020, 18:21   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you guys recommending the second route or recommending I drive down to Kolhapur?

I think the second option is better. Better to go via Kolhapur. Karad-Chiplun is broken at most places. Plus I also see Patan-Karad (Or Umbraj bypass) pretty much non-existent.
Old 25th January 2020, 19:42   #24
BHPian

Sorry to butt in here

Quote:
ganapatipule in the mid of Feb from Mumbai.
Quote:
Bhor mahad is complete off roaders wet dream so to speak (read 60kms of gravel and mud section, with work in progress at places, so going off the road to a lower section). Have updated the same in dapoli route thread.

Quote:
Ouch are the roads that bad? Google Maps gives me two options:

1. Pali - Kolad - Chiplun and Ganapatipule

2. Pune - Satara - Pali - Gantapatipule (Doesn't reach Kolhapur)
Quote:
I think the second option is better. Better to go via Kolhapur. Karad-Chiplun is broken at most places. Plus I also see Patan-Karad (Or Umbraj bypass) pretty much non-existent.
I don't understand where Pali comes in equation after Satara? Am I missing something here?
Pali would only come when one opts for Mumbai - khopoli - pali - wakan - Kolad onwards NH17.
As far as i know, wakan khopoli road work was going on until a month ago, will be updating it once i go thru the same tomorrow morning.
I wud prefer karad umbraj chiplun ganapatipule. Based on our experience almost 4 months ago, it was pretty good drive.

NH17 work ongoing till Mahad now. So better to avoid that section. Bhor(varandh) ghat best be avoided for next few months. Tamhini maybe slightly difficult on the suspensions.
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 22:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Sorry to butt in here

Sorry if I sound so confused. This is a completely new place/route for me. The names of the places I am quoting are basically me tracing the route along Google maps directions. I'm not into off-roading at all and I really doubt my Nexon was designed for off-roading. Plus brand new car, just want a nice smooth headache free safe ride with family and pet.

NH66 (What I understand everyone refers as NH17) is in a bad state and is to be avoided. That was the recommended route by Google Maps

NH48 (What I understand everyone refers as NH4) is the route to be take though longer. Now google maps tells me to drive upto Karad after which before Kholapur its diverting me through Malkapur (Kolhapur Ratnagiri road) -> Amba Ghat -> etc. Is this route ok or do I need to enter Kolhapur for better routing?

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2020 at 09:23. Reason: compacted post
Old 25th January 2020, 23:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
doubt.. Nexon.. off-roading.

NH48 (What I understand everyone refers as NH4) is the route to be take though longer. Now google maps tells me to drive upto Karad after which before Kholapur its diverting me through Malkapur (Kolhapur Ratnagiri road) -> Amba Ghat -> etc. Is this route ok or do I need to enter Kolhapur for better routing?
Have been doing these roads in my humble Tiago past two years now (66k kms). So one needn't worry much.

That being said, my recommended route would be the one you've mentioned now. No need to enter city. Let others pour in with their suggestions too.

If u wish to, do explore devghali near Ratnagiri. Pic posted here. (Best click of your car / bike in 2019!)
Torq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 09:22   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes even I was referring to this suggestion only. This may be the best option after all. Exit 4-lane before Kolhapur, head to Malkapur and then Hathkhamba and Ratnagiri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I don't understand where Pali comes in equation after Satara? Am I missing something here?
Pali would only come when one opts for Mumbai - khopoli - pali - wakan - Kolad onwards NH17.
Did not follow your question on Pali. It should not figure in the equation.

Quote:
I wud prefer karad umbraj chiplun ganapatipule. Based on our experience almost 4 months ago, it was pretty good drive.
Umbraj Chiplun is pretty bad actually. Patan-Karad is being re-done. So pretty much drive on rocks. Chiplun-Koynanagar is usually a mixed bad on ghats.
Hence our suggestion to go further on NH4 and take the Karad-Malkhapur-Hathkhamba route. That should also avoid the works being done on NH17 (Or the new NH66).

Last edited by ampere : 26th January 2020 at 09:27.
Old 26th January 2020, 13:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The most recommended route is Mumbai--Pune--Satara--Karad--Kokrud--Amba ghat--Sakharpa--Hatkhamba--Chaffe--Ganpatipule.

If you get time, do enquire with one of the bus operators either MSRTC or private (drivers) who drive Mumbai--Ganpatipule daily. Although they stick to the NH17 all throughout from Mumbai, they will definitely be aware about the Karad--Amba ghat part.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 10:05   #29
BHPian

Thanks guys. You guys have been a huge help. One of the many reasons to love this forum.

Now next query on the longer route what the good places I can stop. My pet wont be able to take the whole 4xxkm in one shot. Some good place to park and maybe take snaps.
Old 27th January 2020, 10:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now next query on the longer route what the good places I can stop. My pet wont be able to take the whole 4xxkm in one shot. Some good place to park and maybe take snaps.
Hotel Pankaj Executive right on the highway, just where one enters Karad, is a decent place for a stopover, though not many photo ops there

From here, the exit to Kokrud/Malkapur is between 5.5 - 6 kms. Look out for a signboard that says "Shri Kshetra Nanij", and also a small one that says "Kale - Ratnagiri Phata" just before the turn off from the highway.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 27th January 2020 at 10:16.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks