Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 17:05   #1
BHPian

Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query

Any information on what would be the best possible route? I will start early morning from Kadapa to Belum caves, then planning to visit Gandikota and come back to Kadapa the same day. I have no idea of the ground situation whatsoever. I'm planning to rent a bike from Kadapa.

Thank you!

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:37. Reason: Spacing, grammar.
Old 5th November 2019, 17:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
Any information on what would be the best possible route?!
I had taken almost similar route on my way back from Belum - Gandikota (Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled). But this was in 2014, hence road conditions is not something I can comment on.

However, I feel it may be bit hurried for a days travel, though it is something which can be done.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:37. Reason: Quote trimmed.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 20:57   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had taken almost similar route on my way back from Belum - Gandikota (Wanderlust Traveller: Gandikota & Belum. The road less travelled). But this was in 2014, hence road conditions is not something I can comment on.

However, I feel it may be bit hurried for a days travel, though it is something which can be done.
Yeah this is the same route I'm planning to take. I actually had read your travelogue and fixed this route. I guess I'll update the thread about the current road condition myself

Yes, It's a bit hurried but can't afford to stay anywhere as I'm on a tight budget.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:40. Reason: Spacing, grammar.
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 22:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Try this:

Book at the APTDC for a night. Start early morning and drive to Belum via Muddanur/Tadipatri. And by late noon / early evening check in to the APTDC resort near Gandikota. You can drive back via Jammalamadugu.

Visit the Gorge in the evening for a sunset and also for an early morning sunrise. Its brilliant at both the hours.

And once done start by 9/10AM and drive back to Kadappa.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 23:09   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
Any information on what would be the best possible route?
I went to Belum caves and Gandikota in March 2017. The route I took was Chikkaballapur, Anantapur, Belum Caves, Jammalmadugu, Haritha Resort Gandikota. The road condition was good upto Jammalamadugu. From there upto Haritha resort road was very bad, then. But then, this is the only place available to stay in Gandikotta. It is a very frugal place to stay, but clean enough. Food could be an issue, as they didn't have any regular restaurant. You have to go to Jammalamadugu for any restaurant or even other simple shopping requirements.

Regards,
Narayan.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:38. Reason: Quote trimmed.
iamnarayang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Re: Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query

I visited Gandikota & Belum caves (from Bangalore) a couple of months ago. If you want to do it in a day, I suggest you do Belum caves first via Kadapa - Muddanur - Jammalmadugu - Kolimigundla.

From Belum, take the same route back to Jammalmadugu and then visit Gandikota. Try to be present during sunset. There is a fort housing relics of a clocktower, prison, grainery, mosque etc. Once you cross these relics, you'll reach a rock formation which is also a good viewpoint. There are multiple viewpoints and gazebos along the canyon too. If you wish to stay, please book APTDC Haritha resort (there is no other resort or hotel nearby). There are a lot of tented accommodations on rent available for adventure seekers. If you want a tent stay, do not book beforehand. I suggest to reach Haritha resort (there'll be tenting agents in the resort), check the location and bargain

* There is a beautiful reservoir 'Owk reservoir' around 15-20 minutes from Belum caves. If you have time, I suggest spending some time there, sipping coffee on the first floor of the boathouse and maybe indulge in some boating too.
** On my way to Gandikota from Bangalore, I stopped for a mild trek to Gooty fort. The fort was relatively clean and the view from the top was very good.

Some photos of my side:

Gooty Fort
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_08165201.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_08431501.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_08483001.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-69412009_2497795490255822_4615642636789743616_o.jpg

Belum Caves
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_120149_1600.jpg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-2019080423230701.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_120536.jpg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_120900.jpg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_120923.jpg

Owk Reservoir
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_141531.jpg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190728_14133501.jpeg

Gandikota
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_14251801.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_17275201.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_17391401.jpeg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190729110922.jpg
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_1820520101.jpeg

My faithful steed
Kadapa - Belum Caves - Gandikota route query-20190727_14354302_1600.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:39. Reason: Spacing.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 15:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

The only reason I have not been to Gandikota so far is due to lack of good accommodation. I have heard some pretty poor feedback about the Haritha resort run by APTDC. Is there any other stay option to be considered? I can probably stay in a nearby town if there are better options like Anantpur. I don't want any fancy facilities, just basic amenities and cleanliness.(restrooms in particular)
I also saw there is an adventure camp run by Freakout adventure. Not sure how good is this or is it family friendly
I also thought of doing it as a day trip but I feel it will very tiring for the family
Please suggest.
Old 6th November 2019, 15:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Please suggest.
Royal County in Proddatur looks decent. I was considering this when I had planned travel but could not due to other commitments.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 22:40. Reason: Quote trimmed.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:06   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Royal County in Proddatur looks decent.
Definitely ok to stay for a night. They have large pool, good open space, decent rooms. The distance from the Gandikota fort is also manageable for an early morning or post sunset drive to and fro. This is from my trip I did in 2017. Reference link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4218988
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 16:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The only reason I have not been to Gandikota so far is due to lack of good accommodation. I have heard some pretty poor feedback about the Haritha resort run by APTDC.
Its not like pathetic. You get a very decent accomodation. Book the cottage. Food is the only problem. You do get an OK'ish basic breakfast lunch dinner. Carry your own stuff if you want to. For one night the place would pass.

All in all you just cannot miss this awesome place just for lack of accommodation.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 19:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Royal County in Proddatur looks decent. I was considering this when I had planned travel but could not due to other commitments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Definitely ok to stay for a night. They have large pool, good open space, decent rooms. The distance from the Gandikota fort is also manageable for an early morning or post sunset drive to and fro. This is from my trip I did in 2017. Reference link - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4218988
Thanks for the recommendation, definitely looks like a decent place for an overnight stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its not like pathetic. You get a very decent accomodation. Book the cottage. Food is the only problem. You do get an OK'ish basic breakfast lunch dinner. Carry your own stuff if you want to. For one night the place would pass.

All in all you just cannot miss this awesome place just for lack of accommodation.
I understand but see some of these reviews in tripadvisor -

"Though it is very reasonably priced. The toilets don't have running water & are so bad that the ladies opted not to use in spite of just having completed a 5 hour drive from Bangalore!
The sad thing is that there is NO PLACE nearby that you can eat at."

"no proper service of the food , the a/c doesn't work most of the times , bathrooms are not good, lot of improvements can be made because the tourist love to stay in this place. we had break fast and dinner at this place its not up to the mark"

I can manage with less food options but restrooms needs to be clean and good enough. I think the Royal County hotel looks a better option, 45 mins drive from the Gandikota fort as per GMaps.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed