Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2020, 21:37   #1
BHPian

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?

Our new year resolution is to visit a new place atleast once a month. We prefer to eat home made food , wish to cut down eating outside too. I need some inputs on thermos kind of boxes which can keep food warm for atleast 6-8 hour window. There are chillers which are capable of keeping items cold, can same be used ? Are there insulated boxes which can keep packed food warm ?

Last edited by Thilak29 : 26th January 2020 at 21:39.
Old 26th January 2020, 21:53   #2
BHPian

re: How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?

Get a thermocol rectangular box with lid similar to the ice box found at local juice shops. You will be surprised how cheap and how efficient it is. I use it at home.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 27th January 2020 at 20:42. Reason: Edited on request of poster. Thanks
saisree is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 13:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Are there insulated boxes which can keep packed food warm ?
If you are very, very particular about having warm home food, maybe invest in a mini microwave that will run off the 12v socket.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:43   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?

Not 6 - 8 hours, but Milton's stuff has kept my food warm & water cold for 3 - 4 hours. Stuff like this and this should do you good.

Another option is to simply pack in food that tastes good even warm (not hot). Example = Pav bhaji, chole (with sandwich bread), sandwiches, misal pav, thepla, soups....the list goes on.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 14:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Invest in a Food Chiller/Warmer which runs off the 12V outlet of your car. It also comes with an AC adapter, if need arises. Some links:

https://www.m2all.com/mahindra-genui...rmer-18ad.html

https://www.m2all.com/mahindra-genui...rmer-ct08.html
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 15:38   #6
BHPian

We bought the Waeco thermoelectric some 4 years ago and it has been working fine. We mostly use it to keep things cool, though it works just fine the other way round too. The best part is that it can work both with 240 V AC and 12V DC, so when we check into the hotel we just plug it in the room and viola!

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-screenshot-20200127-15.36.36.png
earthian is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 19:38   #7
BANNED

Just get Zojirushi boxes, they are awesome. Works for 8-10 hours minimum, maximum I haven't tested yet. It's costly to buy in India though, try to source it from abroad if possible.
The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 21:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I need some inputs on thermos kind of boxes which can keep food warm for atleast 6-8 hour window. There are chillers which are capable of keeping items cold, can same be used ? Are there insulated boxes which can keep packed food warm ?
If it keeps things cool then it keep things warm. Nothing in the market is going to keep your food hot for 6 hours. Milton boxes keeps food/drinks warm for 6/8 hours and their thermos can keep liquids hot for 8+ hours. ( used it for my kid when he was a baby and it worked great) use the glass thermos for better results.

If you wan food Hot! wrap it in foil and secure it in your engine bay.
rulerofsun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 21:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Realistically, you need an electrical appliance that runs off the 12V socket that heats the food when you need it. There are 12V compatible microwaves that should do the job.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:22   #10
1:1
BHPian

Have been using Milton Electron for years now. Office or travel works well. You need to plug it in for 10-15 minutes for luke warm and 30 for hot.

Carrying capacity is good with four containers. Only down side is you cant carry anything liquidy which spills inside the tiffin if it gets tilted.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2020 at 16:35. Reason: Fixed broken URL tags.
1:1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:11   #11
BHPian

If you want eat hot food on the go, I would recommend you a stove instead of cooler. I use one from a Korean company called Kovea (http://kovea.com/). They have several types of stoves and you can either pick a top mount canister type or a gas canister type.

You can buy Quechua range of cooking utensils and heat the food on the go.

I personally use a Kovea Beetle Stove and works like a charm!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd February 2020 at 16:37. Reason: Removed unwanted usage of 'an'. Thanks.
wheeledwanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 15:23   #12
BHPian

I have been using the Dometic Thermoelectric Cooler TB-08 for 2 months now. I mainly use it for cooling my water bottles. There is noticeable cooling after a one hour drive. Cools really well after 1.5-2 hrs of driving.

After a 30minute drive, the cooling isn't significant. Only grouse about the cooler is that the insulation isn't very good when the car is off and parked under the hot sun. It is portable and comes with a detachable sling/strap. It has also got a convenient niche under the lid to put a seatbelt strap through it which will hold the cooler in place.

It has a cool/heat option. I've never used the heat option. But it should take it upto 65 degrees Celsius.

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-img_20191123_141546.jpg

Last edited by sharc_biker : 2nd February 2020 at 15:29.
sharc_biker is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 08:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am the odd man out here. Start liking food at room temperature. The experience of eating cold food is really un-explainable once you start liking it.

Being South Indians, we usually take Bisibele bath, Curd rice, Chitranna (Rice and Masala Separate - We mix and eat during lunch /dinner time) etc

While the taste of the above items when Hot is really delicious, we have practiced eating them at room temperature as well. Believe me or not, After getting used to liking them at room temperature, I personally started liking them to eat as it is at room temperature even while at home. And, I enjoy keeping Bisibele bath in fridge and eat when the temperature is 5 degrees at home . This will be fantastic experience

This is the cheapest and best solution of all, in my opinion.

PS: While on long drive, anyways, we use AC and hence, food does not get spoiled even if it is 6-8 hours journey. Beyond 8 hours, it is a risk anyways.

Last edited by gkveda : 5th February 2020 at 08:52.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 10:56   #14
BHPian

No matter whatever you use -
Just a word of caution - ensure you keep hot and cold separately and dont use it to keep both hot things hot and cold things cold together e.g. putting tea and pepsi at the same time
xway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:04   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this at NEXA. Will be picking this model soon, has both hot and cold functions. Part no and other details:

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-20200820_155951.jpg

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-20200820_160002.jpg

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-20200820_160021.jpg

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-20200713_111655.jpg

How do you keep food warm and liquids cold on road-trips?-20200713_111658.jpg

Price has been revised and now retails for Rs. 6400 approximately. Hence insist on the latest stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks