Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2020, 13:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Temples around Trichy and Tanjore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Are you planning to go that far to Nagai?
Planning to go only if time permits.
Old 11th February 2020, 14:56   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Planning to go only if time permits.
If you had 4 months time would permit for the possible itinerary you can build up. Please do just the temples around trichy, and maybe Swamimalai, which has a good highway to it. That will fill up your four days comfortably and you can see each temple at leisure instead of rushing from one temple to another.

Do you have any family deity or special vendudhal / prayers at any of these or is it just a regular temple visit?
Old 11th February 2020, 16:13   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How is the road condition between Tanjore and Tiruvarur & Nagapattinam via Nidamangalam?
I would still suggest you stick to Trichy/Tanjore. You willl lose time in travel and by the time you reach, mostly they would closed. I have been to Kumbakonam multiple times and each time have visited a separate set of temples. It just aint enough!

Hence my suggestion to stick to Trichy/Tanjore.

Last edited by ampere : 11th February 2020 at 18:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 16:47   #19
BHPian

While going from Thanjavur to Thiruvaiyaru, you can visit temples like Neelamehan perumal temple, Manikundran perumal temple, Narasimhar perumal temple, Thanjapureeswarar Temple, Kandiyur [All Siva, Vishnu, Brahma temples]. All these temples are on the main road. Same is the case with Kumbakonam to Thanjavur. after Swamimalai/Darasuram visit, you can come via other Thiruvaiyaru route to visit temples in Pullambudengudi, Kabistalam etc.
Also you can take Thanjavur -Trichy route via Kallanai and visit a few temples on the way. Also route is scenic.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Narasimhar Temple
Is this temple are you referring to?
This
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 21:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post
The one you originally mentioned Kaattu Azhagiya Singar is also an ancient and famous temple - even older than the Srirangam temple.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 09:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Do you have any family deity or special vendudhal / prayers at any of these or is it just a regular temple visit?
Idea is either Trichy + Tanjore or Tanjore + Kumbakonam + Tiruvarur. No special Vendudhal. Just a pilgrimage tour.
Reason for being hesitant on including Trichy is we are planning the trip on a weekend and everywhere it might be crowded.

Last edited by ramanan.skr : 13th February 2020 at 09:16.
Old 13th February 2020, 11:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Idea is either Trichy + Tanjore or Tanjore + Kumbakonam + Tiruvarur. No special Vendudhal. Just a pilgrimage tour.
Reason for being hesitant on including Trichy is we are planning the trip on a weekend and everywhere it might be crowded.
Go to Kumbakonam, see the Kumbheswarar in the evening and any other nearby temples that catch your interest (Nageswarar, Someswarar ..). The next day or more likely two days do the navagraha sthalas. Return the next day and see any two of uppiliappan, chidambaram, thirukadaiyur- this route will take you through Cuddalore - Pondy - Chennai via the ECR
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 19:16   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Go to Kumbakonam, see the Kumbheswarar in the evening and any other nearby temples that catch your interest (Nageswarar, Someswarar ..). The next day or more likely two days do the navagraha sthalas. Return the next day and see any two of uppiliappan, chidambaram, thirukadaiyur- this route will take you through Cuddalore - Pondy - Chennai via the ECR
If Tanjore/KMU Navagraha is an option:

D1 : Reach Tanjore by noon : Visit Big temple by evening
D2 : Alangudi/Thittai/Thingaloor/Thiruvaiyaru temples if any (and are open!)
D3 : Start early from Tanjore : Head to Thirunallar, Keezhaperumpallam (Kethu), Thiruvengadu, Vaitheeshwaran Kovil and drive down to Kumbakonam and check into hotel.
The same day evening you can do Suryanaar, Kanjanoor, Thirunageshwaram and Uppiliappan.
D4 : Drive back via Gangaikoda Cholapuram (GKC) (T Palur/Jayamkondam/GKC/Vridhachalam bypass/Veppur/Chennai)

If Navagraha is not on the list, Kumbakonam has a big list of temples. You need at least 4-5 visits. And it still wont cover it!

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2020 at 19:07. Reason: typo fixed
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 14:06   #25
BHPian

Completed the Trichy-Tanjore-Kumbakonam trip over the last 4 days.

This post is a bit lengthy , I attempted to pen down a detailed report on the route taken, places covered, stay, food joints and my (humble) suggestions aka recommendations.

Schedule:
Day 0 - Friday Evening
Chennai to Trichy - NH45

Day 1 - Saturday
Morning - Basis Srirangam
Srirangam Temple
Thiruvanaikaval Shiva Temple(1PM close)
Uttamar Kovil (1PM close)
Thiruvasi Balambikai Temple
ThiruPainjeeli Gneeliswarar Temple(1PM close)
Thiruvellarai Vishnu Temple(1PM close)
Akkarai Patti Sai Temple (Afternoon open)

Evening - Basis Woraiyur

Vekkali Amman, Woraiyur(Afternoon open)
Vayalur Murugan Temple

Day 2 - Sunday
Morning
Uchi Pillaiyar Temple
Kaattu Azhagiya Narasimhar Temple(11AM - 12PM Closed, Open till 1PM)
Butterfly Park(Kids play area is nice)

Afternoon
Trichy to Thiruvaiyaru - via Kallanai

Evening - Basis Thiruvaiyaru
Thingalur Chandran(Navagraha) Stalam(Avoid on Sundays & Mondays)
ThiruPazhanam Siva Temple
Swami Thiayaraja Samadhi Temple(Don't miss spending time on Kaveri River on the backyard)
Thiruvaiyaru Siva Temple

Day 3 - Monday
Morning - Basis Tanjore
Big Temple (Brahadeeswarar Temple)
Kandiyur Vishnu Temple
ThiruvalamPozhil Siva Temple
ThiruPoonthurthi Siva Temple
Kandiyur Siva Temple
ThiruChotruthurai Siva Temple
Thittai Guru Temple
PunnaiNallur Mariamman Temple

Evening - On the way to Kumbakonam
Thirukarugavur Garbharakshambikai Temple
Pateeswaram Durga Temple
Thiruvalanchuzhi White Pillaiyar Temple

Day 4 - Tuesday
Morning - Basis Kumbakonam
ThiruNageswaram Raghu Navagraha Stalam
OppiliAppan Temple
Ayyakudi Pratyangara Temple
Darasuram Shiva Temple, UNESCO Monument
Swamimalai Murugan Temple

Afternoon - Return To Chennai

Missed out places:
We missed these places(as per our plan) as they were either closed or heavy crowd or lack of time
1. Thirupattur Brahmapureeswarar Temple
2. Samayapuram Mariamman Temple
3. Uyyakondan Thirumalai, Woraiyur
4. Panchavareeswarar Temple, Woraiyur
5. Mukkombu Dam
6. Thiruvedhikudi Shiva Temple, Near Thittai

Route Taken
Chennai Adyar to Trichy - via Tiruporur-CGL-NH 45 - Tiruporur-Chenglepet road is almost complete with the expansion work. Improved a lot compared to my earlier drive during Oct. On Nh45, few places, there are diversions due to flyover construction or road repairs. Time: ~5 hrs

Trichy - Thiruvaiyaru - Via Kallanai - Good and winding State Highway. Less traffic in the afternoon. The only hurdle is crossing Kallanai. Time: ~1hr 15m

Thiruvaiyaru - Tanjore - Expanded and beautiful highway, heavy traffic segment. Tanjore Bypass is well constructed and beautiful. Time: ~45m

Tanjore - Kumbakonam - via Thittai - Village Roads but much much better than regular NH connecting the towns. However, a new 4/6 lane Greenfield highway is getting ready. Flyover construction is seen near Pateeswaram.

Kumbakonam - Chenglepet - via Jayamkondam, Veppur, NH45 - Traffic is bad till Jayamkondam with lots of slow-moving trucks/tractors carrying the farm products. Vridachalam to Veppur road is full of patchwork and not so great. I was skeptical about going direct to Ulundurpet from Vridachallam as not very sure of the road condition. Time: ~4hr

Chenglepet to Adyar - via Mahabs, ECR - Suggested by Teambhp member - narayans80 - Though the distance is a little extra, I would say this is the only passthrough in Chennai where you can keep moving even during peak hours. CGL to Thirukazhukundram has an expanded 2 lane SH. Thirukazhu - Mahabs is also 2L regular SH. Took me 1.5 hrs to reach home. This is better than Chenglepet - Tiruporur - ECR. Time: ~1hr 30m

Stay and my experience
Trichy - Hotel King Paradise - Recommended for Family. Located on NH45, it has a very good parking space and a good budget hotel for the facilities provided. A very peaceful location unlike the interior of Trichy/Srirangam. If you travel by car, this is a good place to stay. However, we did not use the restaurant. The downside is the room service is a bit late as there is a lack of staff, but very courteous.

Tanjore - Hotel Sumi Palace - Ok type of hotel for family. Located near New Bus Stand. The facilities are ok, but the room we stayed is a bit cramped. The downside are lack of good food joints nearby and the rooms are so close to each other that you can hear what the next room occupants speak. The reason we stayed here is we couldn't find any good hotels near Big Temple, due to last-minute booking.

Kumbakonam - Hotel Rayas - Worst of the services for the price they charge. First-of, disconnected intercom facility in all rooms. For everything, we need to walk to the receptionist on the Ground Floor. Toilets are stinky and the flushes don't work. Poor beds and uncleaned covers. Moreover, they forced us to take an extra bed for the kid which was not mentioned earlier when we booked the room. Also, the extra bed is so-so dirty that it was only used by those bugs who spent the night along with us. Luckily, as we traveled a lot the whole day, our tiresome took over the fear and we just slept.
MY RECOMMENDATION: DONT EVER GO TO THIS HOTEL, I WOULD NOT. This is my experience and others may differ. When I checked out, I wrote all these in their feedback form, they casually replied - we will take care of and improve next time. It sounded like - Who would ever care for your feedback? We will continue to loot.

Food Stops
Day 0 - Friday
Dinner: A2B Restaurant, Before Samayapuram Toll - High Quality Food. Restrooms are good.

Day 1 - Saturday:
BreakFast: Hotel Parthasarathy Vilas, Thiruvanaikaval - Best Authentic food and very tasty. It is a very old hotel and its specialty is Ghee Roast. Don't expect any great ambiance or good service. Just enjoy the food. Not an HI-FI Hotel. Must Visit.

Lunch/Dinner - Hotel Temple In, Srirangam - Good Hotel and fast service.

Day 2 - Sunday:
BreakFast: Hotel Lakshmi Nivas, Trichy near UchiPillaiyar Temple - Ok Hotel. Nothing special

Day 3 - Monday:
BreakFast: Hotel KrishnaBhavan, Tanjore near Big Temple - Good food and service

Lunch: Hotel Sree AriyaBhavan, Tanjore - Very good food. We took Dhivya Bhojan which is a complete meal. This is a 60 years old Hotel. 5 Star rating

Dinner: Hotel Padmavathi, Kumbakonam(Nr Hotel Rayas) - Ok Hotel. Nothing Special.

Day 4 - Tuesday:
Lunch: Hotel Udipi Ruchi Cafe, Ulundurpet - Great Ambience and you can park your vehicle under the shade, unlike the adjacent A2B. The food is very nice and the people are very friendly. Not much crowd. This is much like Hotel Sai Sangeet on the CHN-BLR-SLM Belt. I would prefer this over A2B.

Overall, it was a good trip and a very good lesson for me to plan next time if, at all, I am going to Trichy and Tanjore.

We were able to cover over 30 temples in just 3.5 days. How we made it? We followed one simple rule, REACH YOU FIRST DESTINATION BY 5:30AM. We also ensured that we don't visit any place in haste and atleast spend half an hour in every temple.
ramanan.skr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 13:19   #26
BHPian

Planning for a trip to Trichy and Tanjore from 25th. Any updates on the road condition? Last I went before lockdown, it was good at that time.
Old 21st February 2021, 18:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planning for a trip to Trichy and Tanjore from 25th. Any updates on the road condition? Last I went before lockdown, it was good at that time.
Road conditions are excellent all throughout.
Bangalore to Trichy vi Namakkal-Thuraiyur Road-Manchanallur-Tollgate is excellent. All other roads are as usual in good shape.

Don't forget to take TN ePass. Also watchout for Covid restrictions, as they are slowly tightening up things in border.

EDIT: Sorry just realized you are traveling from Madras. NH45 is in good shape from Madras to Trichy. So my above update may not be fully useful for you

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 21st February 2021 at 18:39.
ravib is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 18:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Most of the people here have given very good ideas and valuable thoughts.

But, only point what I would suggest is, park your car near hotel, take an autorickshaw, make a contract for full local trip and go around. You will have risk free trip locally and they will cover all the places without leaving any place with an optimal route.

You can see big autos which can carry 5 people easily at all the places you have mentioned. So, make use of them. It will be win win situation for both, you and auto drivers.

Avoid taking cars for local sightseeing since you will be wasting time, efforts and money in terms of fuel if you go by car.

Last edited by gkveda : 21st February 2021 at 18:46.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks