Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 20:09   #1
BHPian

Chikmagalur to Udupi: Public transport options

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for transport options from Chikmagalur to Udupi/Manipal. I've basically searched everywhere without any luck. Does anyone have any information of buses plying between Chikmagalur and Udupi. I understand it's not a frequent route. So what are my options to get to udupi from chikmagalur.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2020, 20:36   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chikmagalur to Udupi: Public transport options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for transport options from Chikmagalur to Udupi/Manipal. I've basically searched everywhere without any luck. Does anyone have any information of buses plying between Chikmagalur and Udupi. I understand it's not a frequent route. So what are my options to get to udupi from chikmagalur.

Thanks in advance.
May be look for Dharmasthala and to Udupi there on. That may provide options. Maybe private operators would ply on these pilmgrimage circuits.
Old 26th February 2020, 20:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
There is a regular service by KSRTC originating from Chikmagalur to Udupi. If I recollect, this bus leaves Chikmagalur at 0630am.

Charmadi is closed for regular sized buses but I did see Short chassis bus running between Chikmagalur and destined to Udupi (Green in color and KSRTC).

Other option for you is to reach Mudigere. From Mudigere you will have private buses heading to Udupi via Kuduremukha route(frequency is less).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
May be look for Dharmasthala and to Udupi there on. That may provide options. Maybe private operators would ply on these pilmgrimage circuits.
Does not make sense. For now Charmadi is shut for all buses including KSRTC. Most of the buses from North Karnataka destined to Dharmasthala that earlier took Charmadi via Chikmagalur now take Shimoga route and few do via Belur - Sakleshpur and then via Shiradi. And no, Private operators do not ply to Dharmasthala from Chikmagalur. Most of these originate either from Mudigere or Kottigehara directly to Kalasa, Udupi or Karkala. This is because on a normal day, there are aplenty of KSRTC buses to Dharmasthala from Chikmagalur, including all through the night. It is only now due to ban on Charmadi that the buses are taking an overly long route via Belur Sakleshpur Shiradi or skipping Chikmagalur altogether.

The only other sensible choice would be to reach Shimoga and then hop onto a bus for Udupi directly. Many services all through the day.

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2020 at 21:12.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 21:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
For now Charmadi is shut for all buses including KSRTC.

Thank you so much.

I searched KSRTC website and found one bus at 6:30 AM going from Chikmagalur to Udupi. went ahead and booked the tickets. But the bus route seems to be going through Charmadi, so how will it work out if the ghat is closed? (the booking was made for march 1, 2020).

thanks again
Night_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 21:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the bus route seems to be going through Charmadi, so how will it work out if the ghat is closed? (the booking was made for march 1, 2020).
You missed the part below that I mentioned earlier
Quote:
Charmadi is closed for regular sized buses but I did see Short chassis bus running between Chikmagalur and destined to Udupi (Green in color and KSRTC).
This was spotted by myself 3 weeks before when we drove back from Mangalore and that is when I confirmed here that a service still runs to Udupi from Chikmagalur but on a short chassis bus. So your bus will mostly be the same (short) and will still take the Charmadi Ghat route only.

By the way, this 0630am service from Chikmagalur to Udupi is one of the oldest and at least 25 years. I used to hop onto this bus from Mudigere each time I was to travel to Karkala during my college days as there was no direct bus service from Belur to Karkala (except one in afternoon) then!

Last edited by paragsachania : 26th February 2020 at 21:32.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 21:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
You missed the part below that I mentioned earlier
Thanks for clearing that up
Quote:
By the way, this 0630am service from Chikmagalur to Udupi is one of the oldest and at least 25 years. I used to hop onto this bus from Mudigere each time I was to travel to Karkala during my college days as there was no direct bus service from Belur to Karkala (except one in afternoon) then!
Awesome! I believe the route is quite scenic.
Thanks again sir !
Old 4th March 2020, 22:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Chikmagalur to Udupi: Public transport options-whatsapp-image-20200304-10.05.28-pm1.jpeg
you were spot on!
Old 5th March 2020, 08:53   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
you were spot on!
Good one and yes, this was the same I had spotted. The reason to remember it well was mainly because this was the only KSRTC bus that I could see on the entire Charmadi route last month and I did read the destination (Trip) details in front to confirm what service it was and responded here.

Hope you had a good ride through the Western Ghats!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks