Team-BHP - Stuck in West Bengal, need to get home in Mumbai. How?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Stuck in West Bengal, need to get home in Mumbai. How? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/222282-stuck-west-bengal-need-get-home-mumbai-how.html)

Eldon Pinto drops the following query:

Quote:

Hi Team,

Reaching out for advice and guidance. My son (5 yrs old), wife and I have been stuck in Kurseong (Mandir busty, Gidda Pahar, West Bengal 734223) since March 28th 2020. We are originally from Thane West, Maharashtra.

We are trying to get back home. As of today, airlines and trains seem unlikely, leaving road as the only option. As this is a first for us, is there any guidance you can offer in terms of the route, night driving, safe locations I can stop at with my family, what we need to do when we hire a vehicle, what we need to do if the vehicle is being routed from a nearby location like Calcutta and so on.

I'm sure there is much more, but I'm a novice in this situation. Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4802038)

Exit pass link (Official link on WB Govt website):

http://covidwbgov.in/exit/aspx/Signin.aspx

Containment Zones listing in WB (This might help in gauging whether pass will be issued/the most effective route)

https://www.wb.gov.in/containment-zo...st-bengal.aspx

Copied from WB Govt. website :

WB Epass Helpline Number

If you are not able to connect to the internet and apply for the visiting all Epass then you can also apply for it by following the WhatsApp helpline numbers and the SMS helpline numbers which have been launched by the West Bengal State and are given below:-

Whatsapp Number- 8017845555
You have to send a message of “Hi” to the WhatsApp number to further gain information about the evacuation from West Bengal State or to West Bengal State whichever you desire.
SMS to 51969
Format- WB<Space>COVID<Space>source pincode<Space>destination pincode<Space>no of passengers( in two digits)
Example- WB COVID 560097 700015 04
You can also call the Control Room on 033-22141995 or 2214 3526
Toll-free Number- 1070

Ensuring that you secure the required passes as applicable for your travel, you will have to heavily bank upon self arranged facilities when it comes to food and stay.

Further, most fuel stations are now helping travellers with food and sanitation including Dhabas. IOCL station locator has details of such stations all over India including the name and contact number of a representative from each of such fuel stations.

Carry enough packaged food that can last at least 4 days (delays can be unexpected whole crossing borders).

Preferably drive during the day time only. Not a good idea to drive at night when traffic is very sparse right now and that there will be lot of those who would be walking on the road too. Don't forget that the current situation has also created a state where roadside thefts may see a rise. Carry only adequate cash (ATMs are working and most accept electronic mode of payment). Pull over at a well lit fuel station for your naps and make full use of them ensuring proper sanitization. Hotels and lodges will surely be a risk right now.

Once you reach, follow usual protocols of quarantine prescribed by your respective state.

A word of financial caution.
One of my friends is in a similar situation, holed up in Pune, trying to get to Nagpur.
Upon enquiries, it is revealed, a one way trip will cost 19,000/-
I suspect similar rates in WB as well. Considering the distance, it might be a good idea to think if it might be actually cheaper to stay where they are.

I would suggest to keep patience for few more days and stay in Kurseong. Lock down will be over very soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4802038)

I am sending this link to fellow Kolkata Bhpians to see if anyone can help, but I feel it will be very difficult under the current circumstances. If the place is safe, it is better to stay put there.

I can understand your feelings to come back home but, I suggest otherwise. If possible, stay in Kolkata. If you are still left with no choice than to come back, please do your best in finding a car that's in great condition along with sorting all the paperwork (to pass through the checkpoints) required beforehand.

Best of Luck!

Since trains are now operational, they can take one from New Jalpaiguri to Delhi and then to Mumbai i guess. It'll be hectic however.

Flights may be operational soon. Stay put, the risk of driving through the eastern Naxal belt is not worth it. Especially in such times, when any emergency support services will be unreliable. Each state will behave differently with you based on their rules and since you spoke of hiring a car, dont know how that will work out.

Enjoy the location and stay put.

Hi 2000rpm,

Thanks for the advise. Did a high level check and found out that the car and driver with petrol covered come to 1,32,000/- minimum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharktale (Post 4802053)
Exit pass link (Official link on WB Govt website):

http://covidwbgov.in/exit/aspx/Signin.aspx

Containment Zones listing in WB (This might help in gauging whether pass will be issued/the most effective route)

https://www.wb.gov.in/containment-zo...st-bengal.aspx

Copied from WB Govt. website :

WB Epass Helpline Number

If you are not able to connect to the internet and apply for the visiting all Epass then you can also apply for it by following the WhatsApp helpline numbers and the SMS helpline numbers which have been launched by the West Bengal State and are given below:-

Whatsapp Number- 8017845555
You have to send a message of “Hi” to the WhatsApp number to further gain information about the evacuation from West Bengal State or to West Bengal State whichever you desire.
SMS to 51969
Format- WB<Space>COVID<Space>source pincode<Space>destination pincode<Space>no of passengers( in two digits)
Example- WB COVID 560097 700015 04
You can also call the Control Room on 033-22141995 or 2214 3526
Toll-free Number- 1070

Hi sharktale!

Awesome info. Thanks a ton. Since your reply I was holding off on following through simply because it seemed that things were looking up. However, since the further extension of the lock-down, I've sent out the whatsapp and SMS info as recommended. Waiting on some good news. My son is young so i've got to be doubly sure about the decision.

Hi, I need some help/info regarding this. So me and my family of 3 need to head to Palakkad in Kerala from Hyderabad. But since the route is through multiple states, it's highly confusing as to the process of applying for e-pass.

We are driving down which means we'll have to stop over in Bengaluru or Hosur for the night. Would that entail any other pass or some kind of proof that we are not infected by Covid?

Any info would be very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eldonpinto (Post 4806812)
Hi 2000rpm,

Thanks for the advise. Did a high level check and found out that the car and driver with petrol covered come to 1,32,000/- minimum.

Much cheaper options are available, please shop around.

I will be doing a similar trip shortly, but in reverse direction i. e. MH - > WB.

Please ensure you carry an entry pass issued by MH as well as an exit pass from WB.

Different states are coming up with their own travel restrictions on the fly e. g. KA. Be prepared for document inspections/ health screening at state borders, and a mandatory quarantine on reaching MH.

Hence, keep abreast of such developments, else your travel plans may go for a toss.

And good luck!

P. S. I presume your travel is based on a dire need, else it is a lot better to stay put, wherever you are.

Correction :
Per the latest MHA directives issued a short while ago, no pass is needed for interstate movements effective 01 June.

If you intend to travel post 08 June, hotels should also be available for layovers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikertillidie (Post 4814340)
Correction :
Per the latest MHA directives issued a short while ago, no pass is needed for interstate movements effective 01 June.

If you intend to travel post 08 June, hotels should also be available for layovers.

Thank you sir for your update. Are you aware of any changes to this rule? I will most probably be travelling to WB by mid of this month and again back to Pune by Dec end. Anything with regards to the passes/clearances/medical certificates needed?

I will be travelling via the following states during both times

Maharashtra
Karnataka
Telangana
Andhra Pradesh
Odisha
West Bengal

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majumdarda (Post 4927273)
Thank you sir for your update. Are you aware of any changes to this rule? I will most probably be travelling to WB by mid of this month and again back to Pune by Dec end. Anything with regards to the passes/clearances/medical certificates needed?

I will be travelling via the following states during both times

Maharashtra
Karnataka
Telangana
Andhra Pradesh
Odisha
West Bengal

Had done a one way trip around mid June via CG ( instead of the longer route via TS and AP).

Apart from MH exit and WB entry passes, no further documentation was asked for.

Beware, the route via OD isn't in great shape due to ongoing highway expansion projects.