Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2020, 19:42   #1

Los Angeles -> Sequoia Day Trip

Hello!

We (5 of us) are planning for a day trip from LA to Sequoia and back. Plan to take a rental Full Size car (Hertz) at around 8am, and return it back after 24hrs. (Any suggestions for a rental? Would a full-size sedan do, or is a SUV needed?)

Suggestions/ Itinerary for a do-able day trip? (We plan to visit General Sherman Tree, Crystal Cave and Tunnel Log)

Due to COVID, we don't plan to stay anywhere.

Regards,
Karthik
Old 16th June 2020, 22:30   #2
BHPian

re: Los Angeles -> Sequoia Day Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikbhat8923 View Post
Hello!
We (5 of us) are planning for a day trip from LA to Sequoia and back. Plan to take a rental Full Size car (Hertz) at around 8am, and return it back after 24hrs. (Any suggestions for a rental? Would a full-size sedan do, or is a SUV needed?)
Suggestions/ Itinerary for a do-able day trip? (We plan to visit General Sherman Tree, Crystal Cave and Tunnel Log)
Due to COVID, we don't plan to stay anywhere.
Regards,
Karthik
Kings Canyon NP is attached to Sequoia NP. I have started from LA on my motorcycle ridden through both parks and head up north to the Bay Area. It is doable but is a lot of driving. I would enter Sequoia through Three Rivers on hwy 198. I would recommend a quiet hike inside the park and see unmarked non-touristy wilderness a little. Then, instead of going all the way out of the park on 198, take the Ten Mile road to Hume lake. There is the Kings Canyon overlook, that is gorgeous. There are lots of things you can do at Hume lake, boating camping etc. You can choose to spend time there. You can then take 180, and exit the parks from the west entrance. Personally, 8AM is too late for a day trip. I would pickup the car one day early, and start at 4AM. This way you can be at the parks by sunrise, and eat breakfast at a nice picnic spot in the park.

If Covid scares you, why don't you take a tent and camp in a private campsite like KOA. This way you can spend time in both parks, and also effectively practice social distancing. It is your own tent, you can clean it all you want.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 16th June 2020 at 22:34.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks