Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2020, 13:08   #1
BHPian

Ranchi - Patna : Route Query

Hi everyone, I'm planning to drive down from Ranchi to Patna next year in March and am a bit confused on the best route to take.

Google is suggesting 3 options after hitting NH-19 at Barhi. There is one route through Jhumri Telaiya and Rajgir which is 342 kms and 8:35 hours on G-maps, another through Gaya which is 337 kms and 8:06, and the third one from Aurangabad on NH-19 near Dehri-on-sone following the alignment of Sone river. The third route is 297 kms but takes only 8:18 hours.

As the time taken is more or less the same, which of these is the best route in terms of road conditions, ease of driving and less traffic (4-lane preferred) and also safety?

I will be travelling with my elderly parents so a comfortable journey with good road surface conditions is of paramount importance even if it takes a little longer.

Also, is there any alternative route which ticks all the boxes, that I should consider?

Any help and advice on the route would be much appreciated.
Old 5th December 2020, 20:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ranchi - Patna : Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversaygbye View Post
Hi everyone, I'm planning to drive down from Ranchi to Patna next year in March and am a bit confused on the best route to take.

Google is suggesting 3 options after hitting NH-19 at Barhi. There is one route through Jhumri Telaiya and Rajgir which is 342 kms and 8:35 hours on G-maps, another through Gaya which is 337 kms and 8:06, and the third one from Aurangabad on NH-19 near Dehri-on-sone following the alignment of Sone river. The third route is 297 kms but takes only 8:18 hours.

As the time taken is more or less the same, which of these is the best route in terms of road conditions, ease of driving and less traffic (4-lane preferred) and also safety?

I will be travelling with my elderly parents so a comfortable journey with good road surface conditions is of paramount importance even if it takes a little longer.

Also, is there any alternative route which ticks all the boxes, that I should consider?

Any help and advice on the route would be much appreciated.
The first route via Jhumri Telaiya is in shambles. Strictly avoid.

The second one via Gaya is decent surface wise, is patched, but traffic density is immense. Unless you are starting around 10pm from Ranchi, don't take this route.

I prefer the one via Aurangabad. But I don't go via Barhi. I take a left at Padma( around 10km after Hazaribagh Bypass). That road emerges near Chouparan. You escape one toll, and congestion near Chouparan market. Highly recommended! Road is 2 lane but surface is excellent. Just beware of small speed bumps whenever you see the road crossing civilization.

So when you start from Ranchi, feed "Itkhori" on Google maps. Once you take left from Padma and have gone deep inside, change your destination to Chouparan/ Patna and select route via Aurangabad.

The route via Aurangabad is a bit longer but is doable in 8 hours easily if you leave early. I have even managed 7 hours time without any pushing on one lucky day.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Re: Ranchi - Patna : Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The route via Aurangabad is a bit longer but is doable in 8 hours easily if you leave early. I have even managed 7 hours time without any pushing on one lucky day.

Regards,
Shashi
Thank you Shashi. This is immensely helpful! Will take the route you have suggested when I go in March.
Neversaygbye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:55   #4
BHPian

Re: Ranchi - Patna : Route Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The first route via Jhumri Telaiya is in shambles. Strictly avoid.
Can anyone please comment on the condition of NH20 route from Barhi to Patna?
I am planning to leave Jamshedpur early morning to reach patna. But like previous years, I expect huge traffic between Gaya and Jahanabad and also between Aurangabad and Naubatpur due to overcrowded markets in Chhat Puja.
I was thinking of trying the route from Barhi-Rajauli-Bakhtiyarpur-Patna on 6th of this month.
Any comment based on recent conditions will be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks