Team-BHP - First Long Trip!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   First Long Trip! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/23228-first-long-trip.html)

Hi,

The MAY day weekend is coming soon, and am planning for a long drive from Chennai.

Something about me:-

I have just bought a Indica V2 Turbo DLG last month (ODO: 800 kms). This is my first car. Although I have driven my dad's and brother's cars for more than 8 years now.

I prefer to drive in the daytime. Night only if there is no other option.

My Planned Trip Info:-

I am planning to drive to Coorg from Chennai via Bangalore.

I have 4 days to spend.
April 28-29-30-May 1.

I have never driven this distance before, and do not know too much about fixing an Indica in case of problems. I have read Technocrat's thread on preparing for a long drive and would be taking all the necessary care.

Could I get info on what should my driving times be in the days given. here is my plan:

DAY
----
28 - Leave Chennai at 5:30am
28 - Arrive Bangalore at 12:00pm (with breaks)
28 - Leave for Madikeri at 1:00pm
28 - Arrive at Madikeri at 7:00pm

Spend 29-30 in Coorg.

1 - Leave Madikeri at 5:30am
1 - Arrive Bangalore at 11:30am
1 - Leave for Chennai at 1:00pm
1 - Arrive at Chennai at 7:00pm

Is this an ok plan, and also a manageable plan I would be driving all through. If someone can suggest any alternate plans I would be much obliged. :)

Thanks
Saurabh

please:

Some info required on this.

Sorry to bump this post.

Make sure you get enough rest along the way. Also, it would help to have a map or good directions to your destination. When I last drove to Coorg, I found most areas got deserted after sunset, so it's difficult to find someone to ask directions from.

Your plan might just coincide with my plans for the mercara trip (end of the month).

Try to get a longer break in bangalore or in Mysore later. Why not visit the tourist spots in mysore before leaving for mercara ?

saurabh nice to know that you are all set to hit the road.
Like Ajit said make sure you get enough rest and road maps/@least names of places that you would be driving through.
Keep some bhp'ians numbers handy just in case you need some help.

Also which way are you driving to Bangalore?
BTW have you decided on the place of stay?

Take the GQ for bangalore, it is much quicker & easier though there aren't many restaurants, so pack up some snacks & water.

Hi,

My suggestion would be avoid entering into Bangalore, as this will take atleast 2 hrs of yours and make you sick, by the time you exit bangalore in mid day. Your Breaking point can be any where outside Bangalore too.

One (Only) way is, take GQ from Chennai to Bangalore.

1. After Hosur, lookout for Electronic city junction. At this junction ask some one how to enter NICE Road (You need to take service road, after electronicity's second enterance as you come from Hosur)
2. Keep following the other cars, and you need to exit out of this free way twice one at Bannerghatt Road, where you need to take left and drive for 100 mts, then take a mud road on right to join back the freeway. Second place is at Kanaka pura road, just get down of the ramp cross the road, get on to the free way.

3. This NICE road, directly connects Bangalore Mysore road, take left on mysore to go towards Mysore. It is nearly 25+KMs of freeway, you can cover in 30 Minutes, with 3-4 stops for enquiry. If you need any help on these by pass to Bangalore PM me, so that I can share my cell and direct you.

4. Overall this reduce your travel time by more than an hour and distance by around 20KMs.

5. Nice place for lunch (Vegg only) is one Kamat Upchar, at a distance of nearly 35kms, where you enter the Mysore road from NICE road after Ramanagar on the right side.

regards,
-manju

@rjstyle: I've decided on staying at the Cicada Trails (wife insisted :) ), did not get any space at King's Cottage. Cicada is 1500/- per night with breakfast and dinner. Its located near to Virajpet. Here is the link: Welcome to Cicada Trials - Coorg (Kodagu)

@esteem_lover: where are you going to? I would love to drive with a BHP buddy. Do let me know in case our plans are sharing some tarmac. More fun with two cars than a solo ride :).

@manju: thanks buddy for the info. I've been advised by another friend of mine to take this link road at Electronics City for Mysore road.

There is a bit of road work going on between mysore and madikeri, so it might just slow your progress, but wherever the work is completed, good road where you can maintain a very high average speed, basically, beware of sudden missing road, after a long stretch of good road!

Also, you can avoid mysore city also, just take the outer ring road exit when you get it about 2 km before mysore, take the exit towards mangalore.

hey saurabh good on you mate ,gives me a reason to travel there again once am back :p .
PM me your numbers e_l and saurabh,just in case am there will buzz you folks. Maybe we can catch up for sometime and will call over my coorgi car freak friends from there.
Some of the gypsy's ought to be drooled at.

saurabh
, since you are traveling to Virajpet ,deviate from Hunsur to reach Virajpet. Ask anyone and they should be able to give you directions.
Make sure you don't drive to KushalNagar since the roads are in bad shape and where you find traces of tar the ride is real bumpy.

Just in case you ain't familiar with the Peripheral Road in Bangy , the landmark you need to look out for is the Infy building to your left on Hosur Road.

Pass the Infy campus and abt 300 mtrs ahead you can see the Peripheral road deviation. Take a left here and follow the road and ask for Mysore road.
Once you hit Mysore road there shouldn't be any problems.

Happy tripping mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manjubp (Post 416652)
Nice place for lunch (Vegg only) is one Kamat Upchar, at a distance of nearly 35kms, where you enter the Mysore road from NICE road after Ramanagar on the right side.

Manju, THats Kamat Lokaruchi :)

Saurabh, I am sure u will not that much time from Chennai to bangalore...Try to take GQ which will be shorter in terms of time....

Pls refer to my travelogue of Madikeri for route and other stuffs from Blr - Coorg...I suggest try to avoid bangalore in the afternoon and others suggested try to take the NICE road and bypass bangalore....

Don't miss the thali lunch at Kamat Lokaruchi, hence dont waste in bangalore, take your break at Lokaruchi and enjoy the lunch...

Abhi

Its your first trip, so drive within your limits rather than the car's. I'd say stick to a 90 kmph limit till you feel comfortable.

The GQ is quick but absolutely boring and no decent places to stop. If you're travelling with family (esp. ladies), decent places to stop are a must.

Motel Rosin between Ambur and Vaniymbadi is a good place to stop on the GQ (on your right as you travel to Bangalore).

You could also try the NH4 all the way to Bangalore (Chennai - Sriperumbudur - Ranipet - Chittoor - Palamner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Bangalore) which is not quick like the GQ but has more options for a break.

On NH4, you have MGM Virundu (on the left just after Ranipet town and opposite Gee Kay Residency), IOC Nandini (on the right near the Chittoor bypass), Woody's before Kolar (on the left), Cafe Coffee Day before Kolar (on the left), Kamat Upachar (after Kolar on the right).

If you're taking the NH4, be prepared for some offroading as you cross the riverbed at Tiruvalam just after Ranipet.

Try to take a break just before entering Bangalore so that you can drive through the city.

Take your original car papers along but show only photocopies if asked. Remember to set cold tyre pressure before starting.

Enjoy the drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabh711 (Post 416686)
@esteem_lover: where are you going to? I would love to drive with a BHP buddy. Do let me know in case our plans are sharing some tarmac. More fun with two cars than a solo ride :).

I am planning a trip to mercara(madikeri) in coorg. I will let you know my plans before 25th. The best thing about driving to your destination is that you do not have to plan in advance (Of course you have to, for accomodation).

My suggestion for your folks..

Take GQ - Chennai - Blore..DO NOT ENTER BANGALORE..travel to Mysore directly for the break..Mysore to Coorg takes approx 5 hrs depending on the speed of travel.. very picturesque route..

If possible, please travel at daytime..to enjoy the scenic route..
You may not encounter much traffic from Mysore to Coorg..especially after dark..

@akroy: Thanks, lunch would surely be at Kamat Lokaruchi now :)

@hrag: Thanks for the Tips. But i think I would take the GQ itself, to save some time. Will stop at the Motel you mentioned, also would take some snacks and water. Would consider coming by the other road on my way back in case I have time.

@e_l: PM me or call me (i've PM'd you my cell number) in case you also planning on the trip.

@rj: I'll PM you my number.

What Road Atlas should I buy? Which would also be useful for my future trips?