Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2007, 10:41   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
man come with me 45 mins falt to Timber trail from chadigarh and that to in an alto
Ya its possible I took it even less than 45 mins but driving cannot be explained in words . Usually it all depends upon traffic from Pinjore to Parwanoo.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:33   #17
BHPian

Winter road trip to Dharamsala

We are planning a road trip to Dharamsala from Gurgaon this weekend in a Palio Sport and SX4.

What road conditions shall we expect at this time of the year? What about the weather conditions? And do we have sufficient petrol pumps on the hills?

rev_hard, could you please post your reviews about you trip that you did?

Fiat owners, what precautions shall I take with my car considering it has clocked 2400 kms and first service is done without any oil/filter change.

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 19th November 2007, 23:17   #18
BHPian

Hi,

Infact due to riots taking place at that time, we did not go to Dharamshala at all.

But you will get pointers from others.

Good-luck
Old 20th November 2007, 10:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Dharamshala is not in any wilderness. No extra precautions are required. Carry woolens with you as it would be chilly to say the least in evenings and at night. The road you will be traveling is a busy road i.e.. if you stick to the main highway. Roads are ok with a few bad patches here and there but nothing of concern. Just go ahead and enjoy your drive.
Old 20th November 2007, 11:21   #20
BHPian

I went to Dharamshala from Chandigarh last month, and the whole stratech is fun to drive... The roads are good, though there were few bad stretches where the road was under construction at that time, may be it's better now. But overall no extra precaution required, and you'll find ample fuel stations on the way.
But it's going to be chilly at this time there... so pack your woolen stuff!!!
Enjoy the trip!!!
Old 20th November 2007, 11:25   #21
BHPian

One thing I would like to recommend... for Dharamshalla there's a direct link from Dehra, but in case you want real drive fun and scenic beauty, take the route via Palampur. The route Kangra -> Dehra -> Palampur is one of the most beautiful I've seen... you'll never regret it...
Old 20th November 2007, 14:39   #22
BHPian

I went to Dharamshala & Palampur last month. Road after Hoshiarpur is being widened, but is drivable till Chintpurni. After(5-6 kkms)Chitpurni there are two roads at Dera Gopipur , one directly goes to Dharamshala and other turns to Jawala ji. You should take right turn to Jawalaji and then form Jawala ji to Dharamshala(Max 5 kms longer route). This road very good and newly built while other one is still being constructed. Also Take rest and see Jawala ji Mandir , 2 kms from Main crossing where you have to take turn for Dharamshala. Also Plan for Palampur Very quite place. See Baijnath Temple, Andretta Art gallary(Shobha singh original paintings)
Old 20th November 2007, 15:48   #23
Team-BHP Support

the worst stretch would be panipat, followed by Ambala Chd stretch.
Panipat is not avoidable, but you can continue to Ldh-Jallandhar and avoid the Ambala-Chd stretch I think.
Old 20th November 2007, 16:31   #24
BHPian

Why Go to Chandigarh. Go to Ludhiana-Phagwara>Hoshiarpur. It is simpler route and less Hilly, Mostly Plains.

Regarding Petrol Pumps, you can get easily in Himachal . No Problem. Good Petrol pumps in Dharmshala
Old 25th November 2007, 14:20   #25
Senior - BHPian

yeah the panipat stretch is really bad and even the stretch from panipat to delhi in the evenings also limits your speed to 70-80.

I am not sure, maybe others would be able to clarify this
The stretch from Ambala to Chd is maybe closed and one has to take a detour thru villages and a lot of time is lost. I belive that the Del-Ludhiana- Phagwara option would be better and try to avoid the Panipat stretch by trying to leave early in the morning or after 2am in the night

Further went to McLoed Ganj in 2001 in a Tata Safari. We left late in the night around 1am and reached or destination around 10 in the morning. We did the ludhiana- Phagwara stretch and the drive was great. Dint experince the slightest bit of a inconvienence/ problem back then and now the facilites are much better than back in 2001.

Just plan and get going and have a safe trip and do post pics and experience

Last edited by harjeev : 25th November 2007 at 14:26.
Old 25th November 2007, 16:02   #26
BHPian

[quote=codemarauder;631467]We are planning a road trip to Dharamsala from Gurgaon this weekend in a Palio Sport and SX4.

What road conditions shall we expect at this time of the year? What about the weather conditions? And do we have sufficient petrol pumps on the hills?
[/quote]

The best route is

Delhi - Ambala = 200 km

Ambala - Kharar = 42 km ( after crossing ambala go straight towards Rajpura/ Ludhiana, take right turn 100 mtrs. before toll plaza, go straight for next 30 mins.to reach Kharar)

Kharar - Ropar = 27km ( Turn right from Ropar towards Kiratpur )

Ropar - Kiratpur - Anandpur Sahib - Nangal - Una = 80 km

Una - Amb - Mubarkpur = 36 km

Mubarkpur - Bharwain ( Chintpurni ) - Dehra - Ranital - Kangra = 62 km

Kangra - Dharmsala = 18 km

Roads are good except a 5-7 km strech before Kiratpur
Old 26th November 2007, 10:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
I am not sure, maybe others would be able to clarify this
The stretch from Ambala to Chd is maybe closed and one has to take a detour thru villages and a lot of time is lost.
The Ambala-Chd stretch is under construction and closed only for heavy vehicles. For cars it's open and the stretch is pretty smooth, though it's single road with damn lots of traffic.
Old 12th December 2007, 13:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Route Info Needed : Delhi to Mcleodganj

hi all

i will be spending 4 days in Dharamshala/Mcleodganj from 29th dec to 2nd Jan

and i have never been to Dharamshala so need help deciding what route to follow and any other inputs.i will be very happy if distances are also specified.

now the doubts :-

1. i'm planning on leaving on 28th dec(Friday) night around 11-12 pm and contemplating that i will reach around 11-12 in the morning

2. is it safe to travel at night cos will be travelling with only 1 companion(female) ?

3. what condition of roads shall i expect and what kind of climb ? shall i go in my safari(2wd) or shall i pick my old zen ?

4. suggest some good hotel please,till now i have come to know of a hotel called "Royal Palace Resort"

5. any recommended places to take a break and food midway.

Thanks a ton in advance for your inputs.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:19   #29
Team-BHP Support

hi Sunny
1. Good dates, you may see snow
2. On the NH1 section travel at night is safe, ditto for himachal, but still avoid that because in the hills people sleep early. Try reaching before 5pm
3. Roads will be pretty narrow in some places, but you can take the safari without any problems. Take the car which you think is more reliable. Diesel will be cheaper. Cheapest diesel you will get in punjab. Good idea to fill up after shambhu border in pb
4. Check out himachal tourism website and book a HP tourism place. Always better than private stuff
5. Lots of nice places on NH1.
Old 12th December 2007, 14:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
hi Sunny
Take the car which you think is more reliable.
Thanks Tanveer

but i'm confused here cos i always considered my safari as a reliable thing

zen is also very reliable and in good condition but 10-12 hour journey is still comfortable in safari.

maybe i'm biased towards safari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks